Jump to content

Counting down to Gamecock football 2021 style!!

South Carolina Football ScheduleSouth Carolina vs. KentuckyKentucky Wildcats Football Schedule

 

The countdown has finished!

GO COCKS WIN!!

 

Expectations


Recommended Posts

In some ways the hot start to his first full recruiting cycle may have raised expectations about what Shane’s team can do on the field this year. What do you think are a fair set of expectations for year one coming off a two-win season? Not number of wins but general building blocks he needs to put in place?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really have a quantifiable set of expectations. I think that as long as we're seeing smart plays and the team is not getting blown off the field, then that's good enough. If I had to put a number on it, I would say 5 wins. That gives us Eastern Illinois, East Carolina, Troy, Vandy, and then one other from the rest on the schedule.

  • High Five 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think 4-6 wins.  I want to see a team that plays as a team, coaches that make adjustments during the game and players playing hard for the Gamecocks.  Wins will be hard to come by against teams like UGA, UF, taters, A&M.  Not that the other games will not be difficult, but these teams will be playing for a spot in the CFP.

  • High Five 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blitzkrieg said:

Man that still pisses me off that Muschump had the nerve to say we're going to be "all gas no brakes" and then go for 57 yard FGs in that situation.   :angry:

I came to the conclusion that he had no interest in winning games. I didn't want to think that for a while, because I don't think people generally go to work with the goal of doing a bad job. In Muschamp's case, I think his whole recruiting pitch was to get players to the NFL. Winning games was secondary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, cocky0 said:

I came to the conclusion that he had no interest in winning games. I didn't want to think that for a while, because I don't think people generally go to work with the goal of doing a bad job. In Muschamp's case, I think his whole recruiting pitch was to get players to the NFL. Winning games was secondary.

That makes as much sense as anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My expectation? Not tied to a specific number of wins or losses.
I came to USC in 1984 and my "expectations" were set that season. I thought it was winning a bunch of games.
But over the years, I have realized that it wasn't the number of games we won that year. It was HOW we won them.
And I saw that same "HOW" we won them two years later when we went 3-6-2.
Only one time during Joe Morrison's tenure did I not see that effort. It was in a 59-0 blowout loss to Florida State, which I think was FSU's revenge for the hurting we put on them in 1984.
Speaking of which, my expectation was brilliantly summed up by Joe Morrison at halftime in the 1984 game against FSU. I just came across that game on YouTube, watched the whole thing. I realize now I had never seen it at the time. I was a work-study usher at the Russell House Theater and i was working all but the first game, against the Citadel.
I had obviously seen clips of Raynard Brown's controversial 99-yard kickoff return for a TD, in which his knee was down. Thing of beauty that should have been called back.
But I never knew how many players were hrt in that game. Three starters, including linebacker James Seawright. Seawright had had 21 tackles the week before against NC State and had more than 100 tackles on the season with three games to go. Helluva of a tackler. He was the first to go down.
At halftime, Joe Morrison told ABC, "Well, our young ones are making some mistakes, but they're hustling."
That's it. That's my expectation.

HUSTLE.

 

 

  • High Five 2
  • +1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sguilfoyle said:

My expectation? Not tied to a specific number of wins or losses.
I came to USC in 1984 and my "expectations" were set that season. I thought it was winning a bunch of games.
But over the years, I have realized that it wasn't the number of games we won that year. It was HOW we won them.
And I saw that same "HOW" we won them two years later when we went 3-6-2.
Only one time during Joe Morrison's tenure did I not see that effort. It was in a 59-0 blowout loss to Florida State, which I think was FSU's revenge for the hurting we put on them in 1984.
Speaking of which, my expectation was brilliantly summed up by Joe Morrison at halftime in the 1984 game against FSU. I just came across that game on YouTube, watched the whole thing. I realize now I had never seen it at the time. I was a work-study usher at the Russell House Theater and i was working all but the first game, against the Citadel.
I had obviously seen clips of Raynard Brown's controversial 99-yard kickoff return for a TD, in which his knee was down. Thing of beauty that should have been called back.
But I never knew how many players were hurt in that game. Three starters, including linebacker James Seawright. Seawright had had 21 tackles the week before against NC State and had more than 100 tackles on the season with three games to go. Helluva of a tackler. He was the first to go down.
At halftime, Joe Morrison told ABC, "Well, our young ones are making some mistakes, but they're hustling."
That's it. That's my expectation.

HUSTLE.

Same.  I believe Shane and his staff are going to bring back the intangibles that will make us more competitive overall.

We don't have to win every game, but at least be perceived as TRYING to win each game.

So I am going to say, "win all of 'em."

  • High Five 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, cocky0 said:

I came to the conclusion that he had no interest in winning games. I didn't want to think that for a while, because I don't think people generally go to work with the goal of doing a bad job. In Muschamp's case, I think his whole recruiting pitch was to get players to the NFL. Winning games was secondary.

As someone who supported Muschamp, I am ashamed and quite honestly, it almost gives me a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about him.  I really don't know how someone could be so out of touch or not care as much as he seemed not to care, especially in the last two seasons.  I am so glad he is gone.  It truly feels like new life.

I also want to see true effort, and for the players to care, and not give up.  

I am hoping for a winning season, or at least .500, but I will be happy if we win the ones we should, and fight for everything in the ones we aren't supposed to win.

  • High Five 1
  • +1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cockyandproud said:

That’s setting the bar pretty low, but unfortunately it is progress over last year. 

Agreed - my hope is with the new staff in place we can overachieve a bit this year, as opposed to underachieve. But time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Yes it is.  When have we ever set the bar too low?  Have we ever exceeded expectations?

Not often, it's true. But that 33-win surge over three years and beating the Taters 5 in a row wasn't exactly the norm, or expected ... but we have to cling to those pretty hard, because they are few and far between.

  • +1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both true and realistic statements.  I agree setting my expectations of 3 wins isn’t pretty.  We have an unknown quantity of talent and an unknown chemistry.  It’s all a paper reputation at this point.  Last year I vowed to never watch Carolina football again, yet here I am.  We have had our moments to shine, yet we ended up in a nuclear winter.  I hope we make forward progress.  I hope this one sticks.  I’m here again as a lifelong Carolina fan from the G’ville area.  Praying we can beat the teams we are suppose to beat……..like The Citadel.

  • +1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Swayin said:

If I had a nickel ... but I feel your pain, brother! We all do!

The Office Yes GIF

Yes indeed…….I’m coming back kicking and screaming…….I don’t want to have optimism………but here I am…….quietly anticipating another season……..currently tied for the lead in the SEC East…….not wanting to be excited……..but I am……..so if I think 5and we get 3………once again saying I’ll never come back…….and I don’t want to say that……..so 3 it is!

  • +1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2021 at 9:08 PM, Denny Crane said:

Yes indeed…….I’m coming back kicking and screaming…….I don’t want to have optimism………but here I am…….quietly anticipating another season……..currently tied for the lead in the SEC East…….not wanting to be excited……..but I am……..so if I think 5and we get 3………once again saying I’ll never come back…….and I don’t want to say that……..so 3 it is!

I understand. I still cringe when I think about what could have been in 1984, if we hadn’t screwed the pooch against Navy. 
I have gotten so mad and thrown so many things, punched so many pillows, and stormed out of the room so many times while watching Gamecock games, but I have come back the next week EVERY SINGLE TIME, and I know I probably will till I die. 

  • +1 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Cockyandproud said:

I understand. I still cringe when I think about what could have been in 1984, if we hadn’t screwed the pooch against Navy. 
I have gotten so mad and thrown so many things, punched so many pillows, and stormed out of the room so many times while watching Gamecock games, but I have come back the next week EVERY SINGLE TIME, and I know I probably will till I die. 

Ditto...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before Connor Shaw there was our All American QB Jeff Grantz in the 1970s.

Quote

As the final hours tick away until the 114th edition of the Palmetto Bowl, former Gamecock quarterback Jeff Grantz sat down with WACH FOX's Corey Miller to discuss this historic rivalry while recalling some memorable moments from Grantz career against Clemson.

Grantz, who played quarterback for South Carolina from 1972-75, was at the helm when USC scored 56 points against the Tigers, which to this day still remains the most points scored by South Carolina against Clemson.

https://wach.com/sports/usc-gamecocks/gamecock-great-jeff-grantz-weighs-in-on-the-palmetto-bowl

Some great perspectives from Jeff in the interview.

The 1975 season was Jim Carlen's first year after replacing Paul Dietzel.  I bet Grantz has some pretty good thoughts on playing in the middle of coaching transitions as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cockyandproud said:

I understand. I still cringe when I think about what could have been in 1984, if we hadn’t screwed the pooch against Navy. 
I have gotten so mad and thrown so many things, punched so many pillows, and stormed out of the room so many times while watching Gamecock games, but I have come back the next week EVERY SINGLE TIME, and I know I probably will till I die. 

Yep - life of a Gamecock fan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what the hell do we do?  Last year and every episode discussed here has left a scar.  We are nothing more than our own little battered wife syndrome, only as a Carolina fan.

Where am I today?  well honestly and quietly I’m in a place where I saying to myself that we’re tied for first place, under my breath. It’s a new year with a new beginning.  Please don’t let us down, as we may never return……..until next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have questions at QB(passing game), WR and CB.  IF we can get some play in those areas, we could be better than many believe.  The running game should be a strong point, the O and D line are supposed to be strong points,  I am looking forward to it!!  Can't wait to get there, tailgate, enjoy family and hopefully some new friends and plant my ass in a seat again!!  It has been 2 years but it seems longer.  GO COCKS!!!!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

So what the hell do we do?  Last year and every episode discussed here has left a scar.  We are nothing more than our own little battered wife syndrome, only as a Carolina fan.

Where am I today?  well honestly and quietly I’m in a place where I saying to myself that we’re tied for first place, under my breath. It’s a new year with a new beginning.  Please don’t let us down, as we may never return……..until next year.

Oh, come on now, it's not that bad.

...or is it??

LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...