Counting down to Gamecock football 2021 style!!

South Carolina Football ScheduleSouth Carolina vs. KentuckyKentucky Wildcats Football Schedule

The countdown has finished!

GO COCKS WIN!!

Super Conferences?

On 7/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, kingofnerf said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31868545/source-oklahoma-sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

So, would that mean we would no longer schedule the in-state games like the Citadel and Wofford to cover the extra games?  Those games where we pay other lesser programs to play are good sources of revenue that they would not ordinarily.  Those cupcake games give us and other programs the chance to rest banged up players, too.

Do you think the SEC is thinking about kicking TAMU and another school out of the conference to make room for the Sooners and the Longhorns?

Maybe football goes the way of other sports and starts having preseason games with the likes of Citadel and Wofford, those schools still get a payoff and some publicity... I think the whole thing is teetering on a ledge, once you allowed players to be paid, all of this is new territory and with change comes... Without a doubt college football and athletics as a whole is about to have a huge facelift!

7 hours ago, kingofnerf said:

The trend of players skipping bowl games ahead of prepping for the NFL is already out there.

I could see players skipping some regular season games as well if the regular season is extended.

The only alternative would be to eliminate some cupcake games on the regular season schedule to handle the expansion.

Is all this discussion of changing conferences really just about trying to have a shot at the CFPs, which may expand as well and make league expansion a moot point.

What about increased travel distances for the fan bases?

We already have that. Both Jaycee Horn and Israel Mukuamu did that for us last season. Sure they came up with "good reasons" later, but we all know the real reason behind it (Muschamp fired). Either way though, nothing would have stopped them from sitting out just to solely focus on the draft.

As for the other stuff, I have no problem with jettisoning the cupcake games. As far as I am concerned, no Power 5 team has any business playing anyone outside of the Power 5. I mean sure if we had pre-season games like was previously mentioned, that would be cool. Otherwise any game against the lower tier teams does nothing for a team in the SEC. If we win, then it's expected that we win. No kudos for that. If we lose, though, then it is the sign of a program in decline, and all of the "job well dones" goes to the smaller school. It is a lose-lose situation, and we should not accept that.

The CFP, and even the BCS before it, has established that there is not enough room on the stage for 125 teams in Division 1, all competing for the same championship.  I mean CCU ran the table last year in NCAA Div 1, and only got invited to the Cure Bowl... at Camping World Stadium... on December 26... where they lost to Liberty University. You cannot tell me that they belong in the same league as Alabama.

No. Nobody can tell me with honesty that it makes sense to be playing The Citadel or even Appalachian State when we're trying to win titles in a league like the SEC, where the likes of Alabama and Florida and Tennessee and LSU are winning national titles.

The answer for all of this is a smaller stage with a fewer number of teams able to compete for these titles. If it means condensing them into a smaller number of conferences, then so be it. Once all of this conference re-alignment is done, for a time, then what should remain is a set of 5 conferences with 16 teams each. 80 teams, all fighting for the same goal., each with an equal opportunity of reaching the ultimate goal.

1 hour ago, cocky0 said:

We already have that. Both Jaycee Horn and Israel Mukuamu did that for us last season. Sure they came up with "good reasons" later, but we all know the real reason behind it (Muschamp fired). Either way though, nothing would have stopped them from sitting out just to solely focus on the draft.

As for the other stuff, I have no problem with jettisoning the cupcake games. As far as I am concerned, no Power 5 team has any business playing anyone outside of the Power 5. I mean sure if we had pre-season games like was previously mentioned, that would be cool. Otherwise any game against the lower tier teams does nothing for a team in the SEC. If we win, then it's expected that we win. No kudos for that. If we lose, though, then it is the sign of a program in decline, and all of the "job well dones" goes to the smaller school. It is a lose-lose situation, and we should not accept that.

The CFP, and even the BCS before it, has established that there is not enough room on the stage for 125 teams in Division 1, all competing for the same championship.  I mean CCU ran the table last year in NCAA Div 1, and only got invited to the Cure Bowl... at Camping World Stadium... on December 26... where they lost to Liberty University. You cannot tell me that they belong in the same league as Alabama.

No. Nobody can tell me with honesty that it makes sense to be playing The Citadel or even Appalachian State when we're trying to win titles in a league like the SEC, where the likes of Alabama and Florida and Tennessee and LSU are winning national titles.

The answer for all of this is a smaller stage with a fewer number of teams able to compete for these titles. If it means condensing them into a smaller number of conferences, then so be it. Once all of this conference re-alignment is done, for a time, then what should remain is a set of 5 conferences with 16 teams each. 80 teams, all fighting for the same goal., each with an equal opportunity of reaching the ultimate goal.

I agree with you about the cupcake games. It’s absolutely absurd for an FBS team to play and FCS team, or whatever names they go by now. 

I don’t understand why OK wants to come to the SEC. I get that it’s about making more money in the league, but this will greatly hinder their pretty much yearly shot at the playoff. They play a tougher schedule than Clemson, but it’s the same, basic formula. 

The bigger these conferences get the more you will have to rely on a paid service to watch the games as there will not be enough time slots for SEC games on regular networks.  I think in the end the schools are looking to cash in and championships become secondary.  

12 hours ago, cocky0 said:

I would put Notre Dame in the same group as CCU.  The Irish have been an embarrassment every time they have gotten to the BCS/CFPs.  They're just a name and an NBC Saturday TV show.  LOL

34 minutes ago, cocky0 said:

Looks like the wheels are in motion. Texas and Oklahoma have declared their intent to leave for the SEC.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/07/26/college-athletics-texas-starts-process-leave-big-12-join-sec/8090342002/

Sounds like they will stay in the Big12 until after the 24/25 season. That is another 4 years. 

11 minutes ago, Swayin said:

New report sez Taters, FSU, Michigan, and Ohio State reportedly interested in joining the SEC as well ... holy cow.

Unfortunately only 2 of them makes any sense.  Why I’m not opposed to Texas and Oklahoma joining I would much rather see Miami and a NC state team join than FSU and the taters.  Michigan and Ohio make 0 sense unless the SEC is just trying to take over everything and want to rebrand.

1 minute ago, B_Amazing said:

Unfortunately only 2 of them makes any sense.  Why I’m not opposed to Texas and Oklahoma joining I would much rather see Miami and a NC state team join than FSU and the taters.  Michigan and Ohio make 0 sense unless the SEC is just trying to take over everything and want to rebrand.

They bring big brands and tons of history (and titles) to the table, though ...

4 minutes ago, B_Amazing said:

Either way, wtf is going on with college football????

40 minutes ago, Swayin said:

Either way, wtf is going on with college football????

Honestly I think the NIL was spark that started the fire.  Every school has someone if not a group of people looking at everything as a business model.  I’m sure they had already planned for the potential of NIL and planned for what could cause this to grow.  20 years ago no conference really set themselves apart.  The SEC then started to build like a business and promote all the teams.  As far as money, marketing, recruiting, and brand goes that SEC patch on the jersey will start to make all of those things even easier.  100s of kids a year already sign in the SEC because they want the recognition that comes with it, add in the NIL and that patch is a money maker.  

• +1 1

52 minutes ago, Swayin said:

They bring big brands and tons of history (and titles) to the table, though ...

NC state would be a good potential, let’s face it Miami is the right coach away from being a perineal powerhouse each year.  They already have it easy in recruiting.  If you really wanted to weaken the ACC that is the school to pull.  FSU would fall even further behind and allow for more recruits to be pulled from FL.  I personally wouldn’t want to see any teams from further north get thrown in the mix because that would hurt recruiting.

Just now, TheYancey said:

I think that we need to look at the money, meaning TV market share.  Which schools bring us in the most bucks?

agreed...IMO that means expanding to NC and Virginia...so maybe NC St/ECU and VPI?  

On 7/27/2021 at 10:14 AM, Swayin said:

The SEC will be thinking about new markets, I'm sure, so NC and VA could work. But if they could absorb mega-brands like Michicgan and Ohio State they would do that in a heartbeat over NC State and VPI, IMO, geography be damned.

The SEC has to also be careful when going to far up north.  Honestly college football is bigger in the southern part of the country.  Fans will Travel to see their team play.  Except in a few markets up north it’s no where near the passion it is here.  You don’t want to alienate some of your fan base by going to far.

19 minutes ago, B_Amazing said:

The SEC has to also be careful when going to far up north.  Honestly college football is bigger in the southern part of the country.  Fans will Travel to see their team play.  Except in a few markets up north it’s no where near the passion it is here.  You don’t want to alienate some of your fan base by going to far.

I agree. It only makes sense (because of the strength of their brands) to cherry pick powers like UM and OSU but if this really is going to a four super-conference alignment of 16 teams each, they might not need to move in that scenario? Who knows. It's all $$$.

2 hours ago, Swayin said:

I agree. It only makes sense (because of the strength of their brands) to cherry pick powers like UM and OSU but if this really is going to a four super-conference alignment of 16 teams each, they might not need to move in that scenario? Who knows. It's all $$$.

Yes the $$$ determines it all, the only concern is that what happens to the other teams that don’t get in the conferences.  Will some conferences look to move on from some of the schools in hopes of bigger schools.  4 Super Conferences sound great but is also concerning too.