Counting down to 2021 Duke's Mayo Bowl

South Carolina Football Schedule South Carolina Gamecocks' vs. North Carolina Tar heels North Carolina Football Schedule

The countdown has finished!

GO COCKS WIN!!

Could Dawn coach the men's team?

I heard this talked about on 107.5 the other day.

Brad Muller pointed out that Dawn has to coach her men's practice squad guys to get up to speed on opposing team's game plans.  The results speak for themselves.

I think she would do pretty well if she was our men's coach.

Don't confuse her success with women's basketball as being transferrable to success with the men.  In women's basketball in all reality she's competing against maybe 12-15 programs.  Men's basketball has prolly around 200 legitimate programs in any given year.  Also she likely wouldn't be able to recruit men at the same level as she has recruited women.  That takes nothing away from the success that she has had and hopefully will continue to have as the women's basketball coach at SC.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg said:

Don't confuse her success with women's basketball as being transferrable to success with the men.  In women's basketball in all reality she's competing against maybe 12-15 programs.  Men's basketball has prolly around 200 legitimate programs in any given year.  Also she likely wouldn't be able to recruit men at the same level as she has recruited women.  That takes nothing away from the success that she has had and hopefully will continue to have as the women's basketball coach at SC.

Agreed. In so many ways, it's just not apples-to-apples.

• 2 months later...

hell yeah she could coach them...I am just not sure she would be given the chance to recruit at the level she is used to and that would make it quite difficult...I honestly think that if she were to want to coach men, she needs to be at the professional level 

• +1 1

In my mind, there is little doubt she is capable of coaching males...I think the potential issue is would professional males accept coaching from her (especially as an initial glass ceiling breaker).  The NBA is full of players who don't accept any "coaching" now and get away with it.  The power dynamic is much more skewed toward the players than coaches.  Personally, I would never wish that grief on CDS.

8 hours ago, FurmanCock said:

In my mind, there is little doubt she is capable of coaching males...I think the potential issue is would professional males accept coaching from her (especially as an initial glass ceiling breaker).  The NBA is full of players who don't accept any "coaching" now and get away with it.  The power dynamic is much more skewed toward the players than coaches.  Personally, I would never wish that grief on CDS.

True and going to the WNBA would be falling off the face of the earth and less money than here as well.

Becky Hammond will be the first woman to coach a NBA team. She has put in her time as Popovich's first assistant and coach of the Spurs summer league teams. It wouldn't surprise me if she is successful either. Mike Budenholzer(Bucks)  and Monty Williams(Suns) both coached under Pop and may very well meet in the NBA Finals.

I used to try to watch the Blazers when Mike Dunleavy coached them, but I was always asleep by halftime since they are a West Coast team.  The Lakers aren't worth staying up late for now, either.

Back to the OP question.  Realistically, if things have gotten to the point of seriously thinking about hiring any woman to coach our MBB team, then you really need to replace the AD and find the right male coach.

1 hour ago, kingofnerf said:

I used to try to watch the Blazers when Mike Dunleavy coached them, but I was always asleep by halftime since they are a West Coast team.  The Lakers aren't worth staying up late for now, either.

Back to the OP question.  Realistically, if things have gotten to the point of seriously thinking about hiring any woman to coach our MBB team, then you really need to replace the AD and find the right male coach.

Oh boy... You opened the flood gates.  Here comes the torrent of Ray Tanner hatred.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, GMB2USC23 said:

Yeah and Coach Martin could also coach and have success coaching the women's team as he would not have half the competition... 

The idea that Frank could connect with female players on the floor and in recruiting the way one of the greatest female players of all time could, just because he's Frank, is laughable.

1 hour ago, Swayin said:

The idea that Frank could connect with female players on the floor and in recruiting the way one of the greatest female players of all time could, just because he's Frank, is laughable.

So the vice versa would also be laughable if you use your logic but here we are having the conversation... 

On 8/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, Swayin said:

I never said Dawn would make just as good a men's team coach.

Just like I never said Frank would be better than Dawn or could connect to the players the way one of the greatest female players of all time could but once again here we are having the conversation...

3 minutes ago, GMB2USC23 said:

Just like I never said Frank would be better than Dawn or could connect to the players the way one of the greatest female players of all time could but once again here we are having the conversation...

Maybe we could just agree that they both fit best in the jobs they have and just move on.

• High Five 1

11 minutes ago, Swayin said:

Maybe we could just agree that they both fit best in the jobs they have and just move on.

Agreed, I did not start the thread that regardless of intent is a slap in the face to Coach Martin and sets up Staley v Martin discussion that is futile and not needed IMO!