Jump to content

Counting down to 2021 Duke's Mayo Bowl

South Carolina Football Schedule South Carolina Gamecocks' vs. North Carolina Tar heels North Carolina Football Schedule

 

The countdown has finished!

GO COCKS WIN!!

 

The Trivia Thread


Swayin

Recommended Posts

I was discussing this with my wife and she suggested the Red Hot Chili Peppers album (we can't remember name but it has Give it Away on it) and she asked if smashing pumpkins put anything out around then b/c she thought RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and NIrvana toured together

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, STS said:

I was discussing this with my wife and she suggested the Red Hot Chili Peppers album (we can't remember name but it has Give it Away on it) and she asked if smashing pumpkins put anything out around then b/c she thought RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and NIrvana toured together

 

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic is the 3rd one.  That was their break out album. 

I think Smashing Pumpkins may have put out Gish in '91. But it was not during this time period. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Spur's Addiction said:

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic is the 3rd one.  That was their break out album. 

I think Smashing Pumpkins may have put out Gish in '91. But it was not during this time period. 

How did I not guess that one? I played the grooves out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Swayin said:

How did I not guess that one? I played the grooves out of it.

this is a great question and brings back some great memories...makes me think back to what I was doing at those times...it is awesome how music does that...I was 14 at the time 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Spur's Addiction said:

I will give a hint on the other 2. The two bands are not the typical "alternative" bands that dominated the 90's. They joined up for a world stadium tour the following year, which included a stop our very own Williams-Brice Stadium.  

ok...I was on the peloton last night and they played Enter Sandman and the dude said it came out in 1991 so I will guess Metallica (self named album)

 

and if that is correct (or not) what about a GNR album because I think they toured together?  Regardless if correct, that would have been and awesome show  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, STS said:

ok...I was on the peloton last night and they played Enter Sandman and the dude said it came out in 1991 so I will guess Metallica (self named album)

 

and if that is correct (or not) what about a GNR album because I think they toured together?  Regardless if correct, that would have been and awesome show  

That's it. 

Metallica - The Black Album as it was called, was absolutely huge. 

And GnR' Use Your Illusion (1&2) as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Spur's Addiction said:

That's it. 

Metallica - The Black Album as it was called, was absolutely huge. 

And GnR' Use Your Illusion (1&2) as well. 

wow!  That was an amazing summer of Music!  I had no clue they all ran together like that...did you see the show at Willy B?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes it's so obvious you never even consider it! That was the best question in a while. Glad you guys got it because I was about to continue down the Seattle Indie/Sub-Pop rabbithole - Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Temple of the Dog, blah blah blah. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Metallica:  Black Album - 12 Aug 1991

Pearl Jam :10- 27 Aug 1991

GNR:  Use Your Illusion (1&2) - 17 Sep 1991

RHCP: Blood Sugar Sex Magic - 24 Sep 1991

Nirvana: Nevermind -- 24 Sep 1991

Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger - 24 Sep 1991

 

These other great albums were also released in 1991.  It was an epic year in rock. To say the least. 

REM: Out of Time

U2: Achtung Baby

Smashing: Pumpkins Gish

Pixies: Trompe le Monde

Temple of the Dog

Tom Petty: Into the Great Wide Open

Van Halen: For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

...Probably a few more that I am leaving out. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Swayin said:

Sometimes it's so obvious you never even consider it! That was the best question in a while. Glad you guys got it because I was about to continue down the Seattle Indie/Sub-Pop rabbithole - Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Temple of the Dog, blah blah blah. 

You wouldn't have been far off. Those 3 all released albums in 1991, although I think they were all spring/early summer releases.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Temple of the Dog

One of those "if you blink you might miss it" collaborations that was, for that moment in time, EPIC. If you don't know the backstory, TotD was a collaboration/In Honor of album with a mixed band of a mishmash of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as a tribute to the late Andrew Wood, the lead singer and frontman for the hugely successful and influential Seattle band Mother Love Bone. Wood's death changed the world of music in a lot of ways, not the least of which was that after his death, the remaining members picked up the pieces, grabbed a new singer from San Diego and formed Pearl Jam. Wood was the undisputed king of the Seattle indie scene at the time of his death, and one can only wonder how the scene would have been altered had he lived.

So anyway, here's my favorite MLB song, "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns," from the "singles" soundtrack; it starts slow but give it a few minutes and I promise you won't be sorry.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Swayin said:

One of those "if you blink you might miss it" collaborations that was, for that moment in time, EPIC. If you don't know the backstory, TotD was a collaboration/In Honor of album with a mixed band of a mishmash of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden as a tribute to the late Andrew Wood, the lead singer and frontman for the hugely successful and influential Seattle band Mother Love Bone. Wood's death changed the world of music in a lot of ways, not the least of which was that after his death, the remaining members picked up the pieces, grabbed a new singer from San Diego and formed Pearl Jam. Wood was the undisputed king of the Seattle indie scene at the time of his death, and one can only wonder how the scene would have been altered had he lived.

So anyway, here's my favorite MLB song, "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns," from the "singles" soundtrack; it starts slow but give it a few minutes and I promise you won't be sorry.

 

Yes - Love that song, and the entire "Singles" soundtrack for that matter.

Andrew Wood and Chris Cornell were friends and roommates. After Wood died, Chris Cornel wrote a few songs, most notably "Say Hello to Heaven", and "Hunger Strike" in his memory. He got Wood's bandmates Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament to record the songs with him. They were auditioning a singer for their new band and he added some vocals to the songs that would be released as Temple of the Dog. Gossard and Ament went on to form Pearl Jam with Eddie Vedder. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, STS said:

I looked it up and I had never heard of this group...hell I thought Blind Faith was considered a supergroup

They were! The group in question put out two albums ... the fact that you have never heard of them or their albums shows this was prolly more of a pet project than an actual "let's make genre-defining records and set the industry on its ear" type of thing (and which also makes it a great trivia question).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Swayin said:

They were! The group in question put out two albums ... the fact that you have never heard of them or their albums shows this was prolly more of a pet project than an actual "let's make genre-defining records and set the industry on its ear" type of thing (and which also makes it a great trivia question).

I am far from a music afficianado...they could have put out big time records and I may have not heard of them...I learn so much form these trivia questions as it leads me to research things I know little about

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

GCF Chatroom

GCF Chatroom

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...