Counting down to Gameday 2021  Week 9

South Carolina Football Schedule South Carolina Gamecocks' vs. Florida Gators' Florida Football Schedule

The countdown has finished!

GO COCKS WIN!!

***2021 Baseball South Carolina (11-1) at Texas (9-5) Game 2 Thread***

BASEBALL_ROUNDED2f1070x255gameday.png2021 South Carolina Gamecocks Baseball Official Game Thread

k6zhDeC.png&key=87b25e17e1b5187c34d09db7  South Carolina at Texas   Texas.png?width=80&height=80&mode=max

Saturday March 13, 2021 3:30 PM (ET) UFCU Disch-Falk Field, Austin, TX

GAME 2

#12 SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS (11-1) AT #19  TEXAS LONGHORNS (9-5)
3:30 P.M. E.T.  |  AUSTIN, TX  |   UFCU DISCH-FALK FIELD

GAME DAY INFO | LISTEN: 107.5 The Game | Live Stats 

AUSTIN, T.X. -- Thomas Farr struck out 10 batters for the University of South Carolina baseball team, but a three-run eighth lifted Texas over the Gamecocks, 4-1, Friday night (March 12) at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. Carolina was tagged with its first loss of the season, falling to 11-1 on the year. Carolina and Texas resume the three-game series this afternoon (Saturday March 13) at 2:30 p.m. CT (3:30 p.m. ET). The game will be televised on the Longhorn Network.

PROBABLE PITCHING ROTATION
Saturday
South Carolina Brannon Jordan (Sr. RHP) 1-0, 3.46 ERA, 11 BB, 23 SO
Texas Tristan Stevens (R-Jr., RHP) 0-1, 4.96 ERA, 5 BB, 10 SO

Farr went six innings for the Gamecocks, setting a career-high in punch-outs. He scattered seven hits and allowed a run with a walk. Texas starter Ty Madden went seven innings, allowing three hits and a run with five strikeouts and three walks.

The teams traded runs in the second inning. Braylen Wimmer's sacrifice fly to right scored Josiah Sightler in the top of the second. Texas answered with a Mitchell Daly RBI single to knot the score at one.

Texas plated three in the bottom of the eighth. Eric Kennedy led off the inning with a triple off Will Sanders. After a walk and a stolen base, Zach Zubia doubled in a pair of runs to give the Longhorns a 3-1 lead. Texas added insurance with a DJ Petrinsky pinch hit RBI single.

Clarke had two of Carolina's four hits on the night. Kennedy, Douglas Hodo III and Trey Faltine had two hits apiece for Texas.

0-0 Bottom 4th inning:

Jordan hits the lead-off Texas batter. The next batter bunts the man over, but he's thrown out at 2nd. No WAIT!! The 2B ump calls him safe?? They review, and the call is overturned. It looked pretty obvious. So the bunting Texas batter is safe at 1B, but now 1 out.

The next batter doubles, and it's now 3B and 2B, 1 out. The out at 2B saves a run, but there's still only 1 out, two men in scoring position.

The next batter is intentionally walked, and it's bases loaded with Longhorns, and only 1 out. We're in trouble here...

Jordan strikes out the next batter looking, for Out #2. A HUGE out there! Let's close it here!

The next batter strikes out swinging!! GREAT pitching from Brannon!! Texas leaves the bases loaded with BEEF!!

0-0 Top 5th inning......

0-0 Top 5th inning:

Colin Burgess, George Callil, and Brady Allen up next.

Burgess smacks a speedy liner to 3rd - it scoots under the 3B-men's glove. Burgess is safe at 1B - they rule that an error.

Callil lays down the sacrifice bunt to move Burgess over to 2B, with 1 out now.

Allen SINGLES!! Now the Gamecocks have something brewing - men on 3B and 1B with only 1 out, and the top of the lineup coming up, minus Allen who's already on base.

Heinrich up next: he strikes out.

Clarke strikes out for the final out. Another missed opportunity.

0-0 bottom 5th inning.....

0-0 Bottom 5th inning:

The lead-off batter for Texas hits a 2-1 solo home run. The wind carries it out. Texas takes the lead, and the Gamecocks regret not capitalizing on their opportunities in the top of the inning. I think that was that Texas hitter's first career college hit.

Jordan gets the next batter to fly out.

Damn!! - the next batter solo homers too.

A pop-out and a fly out ends the inning, but the Longhorns get on the board with two solo shots. Hopefully the wind helps out bats out before this game is done.

2-0 Texas, top 6th......

2-0 Texas top 6th inning:

We're now in danger of losing this series.

Josiah Sightler singles to lead off, but Eyster hits into a double play. This seems to just not be our weekend.....

Wimmer lines out, and our bats are rather impotent. Seems all that offensive explosion to start this season is fairly dubious now...

2-0 Texas bottom 6th.....

2-0 Texas bottom 6th inning:

Jack Mahoney comes in for Jordan. He inherits the man on 1B, and walks the first batter on 4 pitches. This is a batter that was intentionally walked earlier, so perhaps the Gamecock staff wants no part of this guy's bat, for some reason. But now two Texas base-runner on 2B and 1B, no outs.

The next batter bunts the men to 3B and 2B, now 1 out.

The next batter hits into a fielder's choice: the hit is to Callil at short who throws the man out at home. 2 outs now, men on 2B and 1B.

Mahoney gets the next batter to ground out to 1st for the final out.

2-0 Texas, top 7th....

2-0 Texas top 7th inning:

A new Texas pitcher comes in.

Milone grounds out.

Burgess grounds out.

Callil hits a 2-out single!

Allen grounds out. We've really been stymied offensively for quite a while, minus a very brief time against the Citadel. It's concerning......

2-0 Texas bottom 7th......

2-0 Texas bottom 7th inning:

Mahoney retakes the mound. The lead-off Longhorn batter singles. The next grounds out - the base-runner advances to 2B. The next strikes out.

Jackson Phipps comes in for Mahoney. A wild pitch from him moves the Texas man to 3B. Phipps gets the next batter to strike out for the final out.

2-0 Texas, top 8th. Getting to the nitty gritty......

2-0 Texas, bottom 8th inning:

Phipps is back on the mound. He walks the lead-off batter.

Brett Thomas comes in for Phipps.

A balk, and then a wild pitch moves the man on 1B all the way to 3B.

Thomas gets a strikeout, but then walks the next batter to put them on the corners with 1 out.

Another balk scores the 3rd run for Texas, and advances the man on 1B to 2B.

A strikeout earns the 2nd out.

John Gilreath comes in for Thomas.

He walks his lone responsibility. Texas men on 2B and 1B, 2 outs.

Graham Lloyd comes in for Gilreath. He gets the batter to pop up to shallow left for the final out.

3-0 Texas, top 9th inning. Now or never.......

3-0 Texas, top 9th inning:

Wimmer, Milone, and Burgess next up. They are batting 0-fers. Strangely, Callil who is next after them has 2 hits on the day. He's one of our top offensive leaders today, which speaks volumes for our offense today....

Joe Satterfield pinch-hits for Wimmer. He grounds out.

Milone flies out.

Mendham pinch-hits for Burgess.

Mendham strikes out.

Gamecocks lose Game 2 and the series 3-0.....

29 minutes ago, gamecock88 said:

Texas is solid or we're overrated.   Probably a little of both but they showed up and have outplayed us.  Starting pitching for both teams has been very good.  

Yep.

We're a good team.  Hopefully our hitters will get it figured out tomorrow.

Texas came into this series as not exactly an offensive juggernaut. Their ballpark is sorta like the park in Hoover where we usually hold our SECT every year - it's a pretty expansive pitcher-friendly park. Of course Texas hit two homers against us today, but the wind was blowing out for both of those, and most likely assisted in them traveling out of the park.

Before this series, the biggest test we've faced was Clemson - they are currently 5-7 on the season, so they aren't lighting up their own season with success.

Texas is a solid team, but I still feel that half the SEC will consist of teams even better than them, so I am starting to get pretty concerned with the season....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ConwayGamecock said:

Texas came into this series as not exactly an offensive juggernaut. Their ballpark is sorta like the park in Hoover where we usually hold our SECT every year - it's a pretty expansive pitcher-friendly park. Of course Texas hit two homers against us today, but the wind was blowing out for both of those, and most likely assisted in them traveling out of the park.

I think I made an account just to agree with this post (I'm posting as a longhorn fan if that wasn't obvious from my name)  Yes - Disch Falk is an extremely pitcher-friendly park.  Our hitters in the past, and so far this year, have been proficient in recognizing how to play the wind in this park which explains at least one, maybe both, of the HRs this afternoon.  And every 2/3 games, there's usually a breeze that our players know to exploit.  So I'd honestly chalk that up to familiarity in the park, because the starter they hit those off of today was nothing short of fabulous imo.  He was bringing the noise and had great energy on the hill.

Also, you're absolutely right, this is no doubt Texas's biggest non-con series this season.  I'm pretty sure this is not USC's biggest non-con series (my roommate is a Clemson fan, so I'm more than well aware what y'all accomplished the weekend before, even if it was just 2 games).  So yes, I can understand if Texas is a little more juiced for this weekend playing an undefeated and well-regarded Gamecock (and SEC) baseball team.

It's a shame that USC seems like they're in a slump coming into this series, because we're aware of what Wes Clarke and the lineup is capable of, and their pitching has been up to the challenge to say the least.  I think the starters for each team have been fantastic, and the relievers have for the most part done a tremendous job.  USC has a great starting rotation moving forward.

By the way - your fans are freaking awesome.  Even in a COVID season, y'all travel stupendously, and the fans I've interacted with at the Friday game were very genuine and generous.  One of the great college baseball fanbases there is.

So glad for those of you that were able to make the trip this weekend! Excited to make the trip to Columbia in 2022!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LonghornGrad said:

I think I made an account just to agree with this post (I'm posting as a longhorn fan if that wasn't obvious from my name)  Yes - Disch Falk is an extremely pitcher-friendly park.  Our hitters in the past, and so far this year, have been proficient in recognizing how to play the wind in this park which explains at least one, maybe both, of the HRs this afternoon.  And every 2/3 games, there's usually a breeze that our players know to exploit.  So I'd honestly chalk that up to familiarity in the park, because the starter they hit those off of today was nothing short of fabulous imo.  He was bringing the noise and had great energy on the hill.

Also, you're absolutely right, this is no doubt Texas's biggest non-con series this season.  I'm pretty sure this is not USC's biggest non-con series (my roommate is a Clemson fan, so I'm more than well aware what y'all accomplished the weekend before, even if it was just 2 games).  So yes, I can understand if Texas is a little more juiced for this weekend playing an undefeated and well-regarded Gamecock (and SEC) baseball team.

It's a shame that USC seems like they're in a slump coming into this series, because we're aware of what Wes Clarke and the lineup is capable of, and their pitching has been up to the challenge to say the least.  I think the starters for each team have been fantastic, and the relievers have for the most part done a tremendous job.  USC has a great starting rotation moving forward.

By the way - your fans are freaking awesome.  Even in a COVID season, y'all travel stupendously, and the fans I've interacted with at the Friday game were very genuine and generous.  One of the great college baseball fanbases there is.

So glad for those of you that were able to make the trip this weekend! Excited to make the trip to Columbia in 2022!

Welcome to Gamecockfanatics, LonghornGrad! I would have to disagree with your position that Clemson is over Texas this season. Yes, Clemson is our bitter in-state rival, and so every year our series with them will be passionate. And that also makes records and stats thrown out the window when comparing the teams against each other.

But Clemson is 5-7 this year, and all that aside, I think Texas is a better executing team this season. And even though we're not rivals, there's a bit of old-time nostalgic rivalry here since all 3 games we've played against y'all have been in Omaha, and two of those 3 were for national titles. That tends to add energy to the games.

I'm impressed with our pitching, but right now our hitting is leaving me a bit skeptical - were our opponents' pitching just that bad, or are we just in a slump? Either possibility doesn't bode well for the future - we're set to open SEC play against Vanderbilt, and they tell me that the Commodores have a pitcher that's projected as the OVERALL #1 MLB draft pick for this coming draft. AND THEN they have a 2nd pitcher that's the projected OVERALL #2 pick. So whatever issues our hitting is going through, they better figure something out super fast, or this scoring drought is gonna last a while longer....

• Like 1