Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Who's on the team in 21/22?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, doublea1971 said:

This one wasn’t much of a shock.  Anderson and Moss were the two that we had picked out well before the season had ended.

Some of the others make you wonder, though.

No, it wasn't a shock. I'm a little surprised this announcement didn't come sooner.

We're going to have a lot of new faces to learn next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, markymark550 said:

No, it wasn't a shock. I'm a little surprised this announcement didn't come sooner.

We're going to have a lot of new faces to learn next year.

Yes, we will.  I must say that so far, I like the transfer choices.  They seem to be very carefully selected choices... not like a Micaiah Henry, for instance.

I must say (and not trying to be a conspiracist by saying this) that it DOES now appear that Frank had lost control of the squad at some point this season.  @kingofnerf had noted many times how Frank was "pouting" on the sidelines throughout the season.  With the 5 portal entrants (and whose names are included), it makes me wonder if there wasn't a growing "cancer" element inside the team, from disgruntled 2nd stringers.  I hope that is not the case, but nonetheless appearances are everything.

I will say this... I'm happy with who we have returning.  If we have Frink, Minott, Leveque... that's a great core group to start off with - all have given us quality minutes and all have seen significant time on the court (with Minott seeing the least of them, but showing great potential).  I'm assuming that both Keyshawn and Jermaine will return, but will be better players for knowing (from scout commentary) what they need to SPECIFICALLY work on to make the leap to the next level.  I'd still love to see Woods return, but if he does not, the incoming transfers should provide some quality depth at the PG and SG positions.  Plus you have the Freshmen to develop....

All in all, I'm happy with what I see on the table for next year.  Lots unproven, of course, but I think that the core group of returners will likely have a chip on their shoulders because of the losses we had last season, and the disrespect that came along with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doublea1971 said:

Yes, we will.  I must say that so far, I like the transfer choices.  They seem to be very carefully selected choices... not like a Micaiah Henry, for instance.

I must say (and not trying to be a conspiracist by saying this) that it DOES now appear that Frank had lost control of the squad at some point this season.  @kingofnerf had noted many times how Frank was "pouting" on the sidelines throughout the season.  With the 5 portal entrants (and whose names are included), it makes me wonder if there wasn't a growing "cancer" element inside the team, from disgruntled 2nd stringers.  I hope that is not the case, but nonetheless appearances are everything.

I will say this... I'm happy with who we have returning.  If we have Frink, Minott, Leveque... that's a great core group to start off with - all have given us quality minutes and all have seen significant time on the court (with Minott seeing the least of them, but showing great potential).  I'm assuming that both Keyshawn and Jermaine will return, but will be better players for knowing (from scout commentary) what they need to SPECIFICALLY work on to make the leap to the next level.  I'd still love to see Woods return, but if he does not, the incoming transfers should provide some quality depth at the PG and SG positions.  Plus you have the Freshmen to develop....

All in all, I'm happy with what I see on the table for next year.  Lots unproven, of course, but I think that the core group of returners will likely have a chip on their shoulders because of the losses we had last season, and the disrespect that came along with that.

It's funny at the beginning of the season how most people thought this was Frank's best class ever, but then the team seemed to implode as the season played out.  We had veteran players who should have rallied around their coach but didn't.

Dawn had some issues earlier in the season with personality conflicts among her players, so she brought in some team-building consultants and got things between the players straightened out.  The best players in the country are going to bring big egos with them.

It's hard to say what went on with Frank's squad, but I would assume Frank will address some of it in his annual off-season presser.  That should be a pretty interesting one BTW.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kingofnerf said:

It's funny at the beginning of the season how most people thought this was Frank's best class ever, but then the team seemed to implode as the season played out.  We had veteran players who should have rallied around their coach but didn't.

Dawn had some issues earlier in the season with personality conflicts among her players, so she brought in some team-building consultants and got things between the players straightened out.  The best players in the country are going to bring big egos with them.

It's hard to say what went on with Frank's squad, but I would assume Frank will address some of it in his annual off-season presser.  That should be a pretty interesting one BTW.  LOL

Frank is quite careful about what he says publicly about his players.  I don't know how much he will address and how much he will let slide.  My guess is that the media reps will pursue that line of inquiry at least a bit, but that Frank will simply stick to comments on the squad he has returning in 2021-22.

FWIW, if it were me, I'd simply let the past season lie in the past and move on.  What's done is done.  My speculation (or anyone else's speculation) on why the wheels fell off the cart don't do any good, and it's dwelling on a pretty negative (and I might even go so far as to say toxic - at least for the fans) season.

I'm personally ready to move on, so if Frank has nothing directly to say about these issues... I'm perfectly fine with that.  We wipe the slate clean and start afresh in 2021-22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gamecocks received a transfer commitment today from James Reese V (6-foot-4, 167 pounds), who is transferring to USC from North Texas. Reese is from the Columbia area (AC Flora) and played one season for the Buffalo before transferring and spending the last three seasons at North Texas.

Reece was second on North Texas this past season averaging 10.9 points on 41.8 percent shooting from the field. Reece shot 34.3% from three and 77.4 % from the free throw line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doublea1971 said:

The Gamecocks received a transfer commitment today from James Reese V (6-foot-4, 167 pounds), who is transferring to USC from North Texas. Reese is from the Columbia area (AC Flora) and played one season for the Buffalo before transferring and spending the last three seasons at North Texas.

Reece was second on North Texas this past season averaging 10.9 points on 41.8 percent shooting from the field. Reece shot 34.3% from three and 77.4 % from the free throw line.

Love what I see on the State newspaper’s report on Reece, 

“He said something to me about there’s only going to be two guys in the gym that’s been to NCAA tournaments and won — and that’s me and him. And that’s kind of big, so there’s a lot of responsibility that’s going to come with being there.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kingofnerf said:

 

Someone in the 'Cocks marketing department screwed up on this opportunity badly.  I know that they're trying to market the current guys who will be the next to the NBA (or at least so we assume), but there's at least ONE former Gamecock whose Freshman stats warrant inclusion on the list:

Sindarius Thornwell: 

  • Points (15.6) and assists (4.0) per game in strictly league games led the conference among freshmen
  • Six 20-point games in league play is the most by a freshman in South Carolina history
  • Posted 22 double-figure scoring games, which included seven 20-point games, also posted 20 games with at least three assists, nine games with at least five rebounds and two double-doubles
  • Led or shared the team lead in scoring 12 times, in rebounding four times, in assists 17 times and in steals 10 times

Put Sin's head up there where Coach Martin's is.  Move Martin to somewhere else on the tweet.  Come on people... connect the past with the present (and the future, for that matter).  Why can't the athletic department figure that out?  ANY success is worth reminding kids about, especially those in recent history who provided the best years that we've seen in DECADES.  We have 3 guys that have made the jump to the NBA in the last 6 years.  Capitalize on those connections... PLEASE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There appears to be some question as to whether Carlos Williams is going to sign on the 26th or not.  All indications are that he is still planning to, but the rumor mills are kicking up around his name.

Also under consideration for recruitment now is former Bama commit Lanston Wilson.  He was the #2 overall JUCO in the country for 2021 class.  Wilson’s first collegiate offer came from Will Bailey while Bailey was at St. Louis.  Wilson has shown strong interest in the Gamecocks, but there’s been no recent contact.  Expect that to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

GCF Copyright

Copyright © 2009-2020 GamecockFanatics.com - All Rights Reserved. GameCock Fanatics is an independent, fan based website. This forum is not sponsored by, or affiliated with, the University of South Carolina, or any other organization.

GamecocksFanatics.com

Youtube-Logo.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...