Sign in to follow this  
AikenGameFan

DBU

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/gray-wants-to-instill-new-dbu-mindset-at-south-carolina

DBU. Boy it has been awhile since I heard that phrase. Would be nice if these players put their all into being just as good a some of those others from before. 

20 minutes ago, FurmanCock said:

These days we are so far from DBU that the phrase itself is laughable...right now, we're struggling just to get a GED.

We can’t be worse than we were last year. It’s sad to say that but it’s true. I think with Horn, Mukamu, Dixon, and Robinson leaving we could actually see improvement in our secondary, cuz they didn’t play very well at all except for the one 3 pick game for Horn. I think that if the pass rush improves the secondary has a chance to be functional.

We're about to have one corner go in the first round and the other probably go in the second or third ... and looking back, our secondary as a whole was meh. What this tells me is that our units just couldn't work together and that our sum was less than our parts. My hope and my dream is that Coach White can integrate our current players into ONE UNIT. We may not have any first rounders in our secondary next year, but if they can play as a unit overall we will improve.

The talent was there it was just coaching if you look at the films you will see different alignments being used late by the coaching staff the schemes  seem to have been so complicated, I am convinced that the new coaching staff will have an much simpler approach.  If you don't know how to play the schemes it all gets confusing to the defensive side of the ball, thus I know from first hand experience in college.    

21 hours ago, Swayin said:

We're about to have one corner go in the first round and the other probably go in the second or third ... and looking back, our secondary as a whole was meh. What this tells me is that our units just couldn't work together and that our sum was less than our parts. My hope and my dream is that Coach White can integrate our current players into ONE UNIT. We may not have any first rounders in our secondary next year, but if they can play as a unit overall we will improve.

And another INT was stranded on Fenton Island yesterday. Our issues with pass D last year was not talent - it was injuries and opt outs, forcing us to play younger inexperienced guys.

And we would have been fine with the talent for next year if we had hung onto Dixon and Sanders. I still think we will be okay, but will have to scramble a little on the Free Agent - oops, transfer - market. Like we are already doing.

But getting Roderick back is big, and I think Cam Smith will be a star.

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

The talent was there it was just coaching if you look at the films you will see different alignments being used late by the coaching staff the schemes  seem to have been so complicated, I am convinced that the new coaching staff will have an much simpler approach.  If you don't know how to play the schemes it all gets confusing to the defensive side of the ball, thus I know from first hand experience in college.    

I heard someone once refer to Muschamp's defensive schemes as "paralysis by analysis."  

1 hour ago, Blitzkrieg said:

I heard someone once refer to Muschamp's defensive schemes as "paralysis by analysis."  

That sounds like a good explanation.  It still baffles me how a guy with his knowledge failed so miserably.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:19 PM, Cockyandproud said:

That sounds like a good explanation.  It still baffles me how a guy with his knowledge failed so miserably.

His "knowledge" was based on his experience coaching Defenses with superior talent at places like UGA, UF and Aubie, tempered by what he learned from playing at UGA in the 1990s. So he developed a conservative, bend but don't break philosophy that was out of date, and did not work well when his teams had less talent.

Which is why he lost just about every game to more talented teams, and some to teams with less talent - but more innovative coaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace Dilcock said:

His "knowledge" was based on his experience coaching Defenses with superior talent at places like UGA, UF and Aubie, tempered by what he learned from playing at UGA in the 1990s. So he developed a conservative, bend but don't break philosophy that was out of date, and did not work well when his teams had less talent.

Which is why he lost just about every game to more talented teams, and some to teams with less talent - but more innovative coaches.

Nice explanation. That makes perfect sense.