kingofnerf

Biden's $15/hr. minimum wage fantasy

The current minimum wage is $7.25/hr.

Doubling the minimum wage during a recession will finish off the rest of the retail stores and restaurants that have somehow managed to survive the pandemic recession.

This along with the ACA employer mandates will impede hiring during the economic recovery.

Seems like a contradiction if you ask me.

Yeah, we have not had any increase in the cost of living in the last 11 1/2 years. What idiots. And leave it to Strawman - I mean Toolman - uh, Corpsman - to chime in.

This will be discussed and a compromise will be reached - something like $12.50 per hour - to get it back to where it buys what it did in 2009. And it will not impact businesses in any significant way - except that businesses will not be making obscene profits on the backs of workers that cannot afford food or a place to live.

And People like Nerf and Corpsman are closer to being the minimum wage people than the M/Billionaires that they worry about so much. They drank the Koolaid.

It rolls down hill.  While corporations make profits, they have shareholders to answer to if profits fall.  You can see how this will end up.  More self-service in stores and less employees. It is already happening in some areas where they have raised minimum wages.  I agree they need to be raised, but $15/hour will only drive up the automation and the price of goods for the consumer.  I don't see if being viable and will certainly increase unemployment, but so will many of the things being discussed by the new administration.  Enjoy the cheap fuel and energy independence now because we are going to hand all of that power back to China, Russia and the middle east. 

1 hour ago, Longhaul said:

It rolls down hill.  While corporations make profits, they have shareholders to answer to if profits fall.  You can see how this will end up.  More self-service in stores and less employees. It is already happening in some areas where they have raised minimum wages.  I agree they need to be raised, but $15/hour will only drive up the automation and the price of goods for the consumer.  I don't see if being viable and will certainly increase unemployment, but so will many of the things being discussed by the new administration.  Enjoy the cheap fuel and energy independence now because we are going to hand all of that power back to China, Russia and the middle east. 

It did not start with Trump, but the disparity between the wealthy and the poor has been growing greatly - one reason is that the minimum wage has not been raised in 11 1/2 years. It was past due for an increase at the start of the Trump term, but Trump was never going to allow that.

The price of a Big Mac in Peoria has exactly zero to do with how competitive we are on the international market. It may mean that we have to pay more at Mickey D's - but they have been raising prices steadily despite the minimum wage being stuck for years, so they can absorb the added cost easily.

Cheap fuel and energy independence are mutually exclusive and you are showing a total lack of understanding about how it works. Fracking (and thus energy independence)  is much more expensive than regular drilling and only is viable if oil prices are high. Stock in fracking companies is rising now BECAUSE oil prices are going up - a lot, from a low of $35.79 per barrel on October 30 to the current $53.52 - a 50% increase.

So you will pay more at the pump soon - and not because of "Libtards". But relax - it also means that frackers can make money, so you are subsidizing our energy independence every time you pay an extra $10 to fill up.

2 hours ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Biden didn't waste long killing a few thousand pipeliners jobs.

LOL - Strawman wants us to bring in oil from the Canadian sands to compete with our shale oil - that is what the pipeline is being built to do. 

Strawman wants to bring in another country's oil - so much for energy independence, LOL. 

1 hour ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Biden didn't waste long killing a few thousand pipeliners jobs.

Thousands of pipeline jobs. lol. It doesn't take thousands of jobs to run a pipeline. Construction, sure. It takes a lot. But construction is booming and these workers will not have trouble finding new construction jobs. 

Time to move away from fossil fuels and to clean energy. Fossil fuels is 19th century technology. Time to move to the 21st century.

5 minutes ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Thousands of pipeline jobs. lol. It doesn't take thousands of jobs to run a pipeline. Construction, sure. It takes a lot. But construction is booming and these workers will not have trouble finding new construction jobs. 

Time to move away from fossil fuels and to clean energy. Fossil fuels is 19th century technology. Time to move to the 21st century.

Why work construction when you can make 15 bucks an hour flipping burgers... Only in babbling Biden's America.

Not to mention he is stranding how many billions of dollars of investment. 

9 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Why work construction when you can make 15 bucks an hour flipping burgers... Only in babbling Biden's America.

Not to mention he is stranding how many billions of dollars of investment. 

Because you can make a lot more in construction. 

26 minutes ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Because you can make a lot more in construction. 

I don't know why you waste time with Corpsman - he is a complete tool. Who knows nothing about construction.

A person working pipeline construction would get well over $40 per hour, probably more like $50 depending on his trade, and be able to work a lot of overtime.

But it don't matter - they ain't building it, LOL. Keep that Canadian oil in Canada.

7 minutes ago, Tastylicks said:

Gonna be a lonnnnnng 8 years for corpsman hahahaha what a great day!

You know what would be even better? If Biden decides that he has had enough after one term, because he knows that he has a good successor in Harris.

Then she does two terms. Twelve years. Corpsman be hiding out at night in his basement, clutching his AR-15, mumbling about ANTIFA, Mexican rapsts, Blacks, minimum wage increases......

1 hour ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Wait, construction is booming?  I thought Trump killed it?  Or has quid pro Joe fixed in 8 hours?

7 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg said:

Wait, construction is booming?  I thought Trump killed it?  Or has quid pro Joe fixed in 8 hours?

Find where someone said that or just shut up. Construction has always been considered a critical profession and has never slowed down - you know that. and I know that. And NOBODY is saying that construction is down.

But restaurant/hotel/hospitality/airlines/entertainment venues - how they doing Blitzy? Ten million more unemployed than when Trump was inaugurated. Fact.

9 hours ago, Ace Dilcock said:

Yeah, we have not had any increase in the cost of living in the last 11 1/2 years. What idiots. And leave it to Strawman - I mean Toolman - uh, Corpsman - to chime in.

This will be discussed and a compromise will be reached - something like $12.50 per hour - to get it back to where it buys what it did in 2009. And it will not impact businesses in any significant way - except that businesses will not be making obscene profits on the backs of workers that cannot afford food or a place to live.

And People like Nerf and Corpsman are closer to being the minimum wage people than the M/Billionaires that they worry about so much. They drank the Koolaid.

People like Nerf and Corpsman actually work for a living instead of pounding the Internet keyboard 24/7 from the house like you do insulting strangers like a little child.  LOL

The poverty rate among Blacks in Wisconsin was 30 percent at the time of police-related shooting up there and the aftermath this past year.  That rate is much too high.  It can either come from lower wages as you suggest or just simply being kept away from good jobs by discriminatory hiring practices.

Doubling the minimum may make things better for some, but a targeted Affirmative Action-like program may accomplish more in the Black communities with high poverty rates.

The reaction of many businesses to the ACA mandates was to limit employees to 32 hours/week to avoid having to provide healthcare to them.  There will be a similar reaction to any substantial increase in the minimum wage.  Another more likely response is raising prices to compensate for the higher staffing expenses (inflation).

The problem is not the people who need the money, but rather how the career politicians who read the same script to get re-elected want to give them the money.

10 hours ago, kingofnerf said:

People like Nerf and Corpsman actually work for a living instead of pounding the Internet keyboard 24/7 from the house like you do insulting strangers like a little child.  LOL

The poverty rate among Blacks in Wisconsin was 30 percent at the time of police-related shooting up there and the aftermath this past year.  That rate is much too high.  It can either come from lower wages as you suggest or just simply being kept away from good jobs by discriminatory hiring practices.

Doubling the minimum may make things better for some, but a targeted Affirmative Action-like program may accomplish more in the Black communities with high poverty rates.

The reaction of many businesses to the ACA mandates was to limit employees to 32 hours/week to avoid having to provide healthcare to them.  There will be a similar reaction to any substantial increase in the minimum wage.  Another more likely response is raising prices to compensate for the higher staffing expenses (inflation).

The problem is not the people who need the money, but rather how the career politicians who read the same script to get re-elected want to give them the money.

Lots of minimum wage workers will be expected to do 2x the work in half the time. Those that get to keep their jobs are going to have to earn that pay, and those that lose their jobs are going to be a drain on the tax payers (aka democratic votes).

The issue with inner-city jobs is pretty complicated, the most apparent solution to me is rejuvenation of the cities and incentives to bring jobs back, unfortunately not too many people are going to want to open businesses in the hood, risk getting robbed, looted or torched all while having to pay $15/hr.

That brings up another point, if you are a business owner paying that much for non skilled labor, you better find the most qualified and reliable worker instead of multiple workerS.

raising minimum wage sounds great!  it really does; However I don't feel that it was ever intended to be a living wage.  People talk about increasing buying power but if we raise minimum wage then costs are going to skyrocket as well otherwise businesses will go bankrupt (and that should be beyond debate). The money must come from somewhere so that business owners will start laying off people if they can't afford the costs.  In my line of work, the largest chunk of my overhead is payroll and if I had to double it (in my case I have no one who would be effected) then I would start laying people off unless I doubled my fees....it is not like you can just raise one part of your overhead to cover changes in payroll, it effects the entire business.  Good luck to those businesses who may be forced to unilaterally raise overhead as it will remove incentive for those owners who assume ALL of the risk

1 minute ago, STS said:

raising minimum wage sounds great!  it really does; However I don't feel that it was ever intended to be a living wage.  People talk about increasing buying power but if we raise minimum wage then costs are going to skyrocket as well otherwise businesses will go bankrupt (and that should be beyond debate). The money must come from somewhere so that business owners will start laying off people if they can't afford the costs.  In my line of work, the largest chunk of my overhead is payroll and if I had to double it (in my case I have no one who would be effected) then I would start laying people off unless I doubled my fees....it is not like you can just raise one part of your overhead to cover changes in payroll, it effects the entire business.  Good luck to those businesses who may be forced to unilaterally raise overhead as it will remove incentive for those owners who assume ALL of the risk

I would imagine that some of your employees are earning around that $15/hr mark, will you feel obligated to increase their pay to reflect the new minimum?

5 minutes ago, STS said:

Would you be in favor of any raise in minimum wage? I think your points would make a fair argument for abolishing minimum wages across the board.

10 hours ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Where did we say the trump killed construction? You're making shit up again. 

Y'all have said on numerous occasions that he has killed the economy.  If that was the case construction wouldn't be booming.  Nice of you to finally acknowledge that Trump didn't kill the economy.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, carolina_corpsman said:

I would imagine that some of your employees are earning around that $15/hr mark, will you feel obligated to increase their pay to reflect the new minimum?

the only way would be to raise fees (revenues) and during a pandemic that seems like a really bad idea!  I think that those in no man's land hovering around that paygrade point would be really uncomfortable b/c people will be laid off and the labor pool will incrase thus making it easier to hire someone at a lower pay grade...I can see it causing a regression to the means

Just now, GregoryHouse said:

Would you be in favor of any raise in minimum wage? I think your points would make a fair argument for abolishing minimum wages across the board.

I don't mind a minimum wage but to raise it so drastically is a problem in my view...if people are using minimum wage jobs as their sole source of income I think that they have bigger problems.  I guess I just don't see minimum wage jobs as a career and business owners are savvy enough to start replacing via automation when the juice is no longer worth the squeeze (so to speak)

Now if you raise minimum wage and offset it via tax breaks b/c theoretically less people will need government assistance thus government will need less revenue then maybe I coudl see it but for some reason I just do not forsee that being part of the deal for business owners

Just now, STS said:

the only way would be to raise fees (revenues) and during a pandemic that seems like a really bad idea!  I think that those in no man's land hovering around that price point would be really uncomfortable b/c people will be laid off and the labor pool will incrase thus making it easier to hire someone at a lower pay grade

I guess I was thinking that they might find it a bit insulting doing semi-skilled/skilled labor for a dollar or 2 more than those whose job requires no skill what so ever. 

It will be interesting to see what happens to all those who are in that 8-12/hour range, that would get bumped up to 15/hr meaning they would be making the same as their supervisors.

6 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg said:

Y'all have said on numerous occasions that he has killed the economy.  If that was the case construction wouldn't be booming.  Nice of you to finally acknowledge that Trump didn't kill the economy.

The Virus killed the economy, and Trumps ineptness in dealing with it made it much worse. 

Certain sectors were devastated - retail, restaurant & tourism, etc. Others were mostly unscathed. Construction being one of them. 

You're being intentionally obtuse again.