Sign in to follow this  
JimG

Interesting viewpoint: Gilbert parent outraged by child's homework assignment on privilege

Thoughts? I have a lot....

Gilbert parent outraged by child's homework assignment on privilege

“They're not a victim and to me this was teaching them that they're a victim,” says Sandoval.

“I’m sure you can tell by the color of my skin I’m not white and my daughter is not either,” says Sandoval.

He says he is the son of a Mexican immigrant who worked hard to achieve the American dream. Sandoval says the English assignment went against the values he teaches his kids at home.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/gilbert-parent-outraged-by-childs-homework-assignment-on-privilege/article_7be9461e-feb4-11ea-b3f9-9b5fce0dbceb.html

This was not worth posting on, but since you guys are piling on....

It is shocking front-page news that a parent disagrees with the school curriculum, right? This has been going on forever. It is a "dog bite man" or "Trump does something totally corrupt story" - it should not be news.

I am glad that the man made something of his life and is proud of himself - we need more like him. It should set a good example for Blitzy.

I cannot think of any K-12 class I had growing up where doing an assignment that defines "social privilege" would have been appropriate.

College, sure, but not primary education.

Privilege.  Teaching is a privilege, not a God-given right.

Having said that, though, it's not hard to understand how what goes on in current events could find its way into a classroom given the saturation in the news media and on the Internet these days.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that was a math assignment given the current environment.  LOL

What happened to the good ole days, man?

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, JimG said:

Curious, Jim, what’re your thoughts on this? You mentioned it, but didn’t follow up?

On 9/25/2020 at 12:47 PM, Ace Dilcock said:

This was not worth posting on, but since you guys are piling on....

It is shocking front-page news that a parent disagrees with the school curriculum, right? This has been going on forever. It is a "dog bite man" or "Trump does something totally corrupt story" - it should not be news.

I am glad that the man made something of his life and is proud of himself - we need more like him. It should set a good example for Blitzy.

Sure it’s news. And it has nothing to do with dog bites or Trump, you’re lessening yourself trolling that crap out there. 

Why initially minimize the legitimate opinion of a proud minority man, then give him a backhanded compliment by trying to slam another poster that you constantly throw the race card on?

Who is the real rACEist on this forum?

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, kingofnerf said:

I cannot think of any K-12 class I had growing up where doing an assignment that defines "social privilege" would have been appropriate.

College, sure, but not primary education.

Privilege.  Teaching is a privilege, not a God-given right.

Having said that, though, it's not hard to understand how what goes on in current events could find its way into a classroom given the saturation in the news media and on the Internet these days.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that was a math assignment given the current environment.  LOL

What happened to the good ole days, man?

Well said.  You want to know why we have a bunch to 20 somethings out there tearing up cities and generally hating our country, look no further than crap like this being taught to kids at a very young age.  This is a topic for kids to grow up and let them form their own opinions of our country and the world and then expound upon this topic.  Indoctrination of these kids will never move the needle anywhere productive.  

16 hours ago, JimG said:

Can't do details....but:

It's wrong, misplaced, weird, biased, judgmental...

One size never fits all... 

Have to respectfully ask because your answer isn’t clear...who are you considering “wrong, misplaced, weird, biased, and judgmental”?

The school? Or the parent?

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the parent speaking out.

6 hours ago, Pitchcock said:

Have to respectfully ask because your answer isn’t clear...who are you considering “wrong, misplaced, weird, biased, and judgmental”?

The school? Or the parent?

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the parent speaking out.

The school. I like what the Latino guy did. I have no idea what the school people were thinking.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:33 AM, Pitchcock said:

Thanks for clarifying that. Quite honestly, I think most people would agree. 

That article opens up a wider discussion on race and how it plays out in other areas of the US where there is a much more diverse mix of race/ethnicities. 

It would seem the school assignment is clearly a white privilege agenda which is predominantly a white-black issue. 

If we bring other minorities into the concept, it gets diluted and in this case, challenged by someone that is not white or black. Asians, native & non-native Indians, native and non-native hispanics; etc; are all on the sidelines of the white privilege debate. 

These are people who are mostly outside of the white-black bubble who act and see things differently. It is refreshing. 

I will just say that those inside the white-black racial tension bubbles would do well to see how people are out west, particularly with the heavy Native American & Mexican mix communities. 

Go into a restaurant and you'll hear spanish and english. In many cases, from the same people. You'll see lots of brown & white mixed couples. It is refreshing and peaceful.  

7 hours ago, JimG said:

That article opens up a wider discussion on race and how it plays out in other areas of the US where there is a much more diverse mix of race/ethnicities. 

It would seem the school assignment is clearly a white privilege agenda which is predominantly a white-black issue. 

If we bring other minorities into the concept, it gets diluted and in this case, challenged by someone that is not white or black. Asians, native & non-native Indians, native and non-native hispanics; etc; are all on the sidelines of the white privilege debate. 

These are people who are mostly outside of the white-black bubble who act and see things differently. It is refreshing. 

I will just say that those inside the white-black racial tension bubbles would do well to see how people are out west, particularly with the heavy Native American & Mexican mix communities. 

Go into a restaurant and you'll hear spanish and english. In many cases, from the same people. You'll see lots of brown & white mixed couples. It is refreshing and peaceful.  

Having lived in Southern California some years where there was no majority race, I totally understand and agree with your viewpoint.

I went from growing up in the integrated schools of the South to living in a world where race and ethnicity seemed not to really matter.

It was so laid back that I didn't really understand how Rodney King could be targeted by white cops like he was.  Yet it happened.

From that standpoint I can completely understand the curiosity with "white privilege" from someone out West.