Sign in to follow this  
taylorssc

Adios Southern Baptists

Geographic locations are now racist...

Prominent Southern Baptists are dropping ‘Southern’ name amid racial unrest

Leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention are increasingly dropping the “Southern” part of their Baptist name, calling it a potentially painful reminder of the convention’s historic role in support of slavery.

The 50,000 Baptist churches in the convention are autonomous and can still choose to refer to themselves as “Southern Baptist” or “SBC.” But in his first interview on the topic, convention president J.D. Greear said momentum has been building to adopt the name “Great Commission Baptists,” both because of the racial reckoning underway in the United States and because many have long seen the “Southern Baptist” name as too regional for a global group of believers.

Seems to me that 'Concerned Christians' would be more concerned with watching other 'Christians' ignore and support leaders who have turned their back on the teachings of Christ while using the Bible as a political prop than the triviality of someone discussing a possible name change...but I've considered the source and get why this specifically is what bothers them...their self-proclaimed belief in 'God' or interests in the teachings of Christ have less than zero to do with it.

1 hour ago, LBC said:

...their self-proclaimed belief in 'God' or interests in the teachings of Christ have less than zero to do with it.

Really? And removing the Southern name is not the road less traveled? You sat in on their discussions or you're just throwing rocks because your default mode is judge first? 

As someone raised in a Southern Baptist household, I always thought it was odd that they would want to pigeonhole themselves. The name is not conducive to spreading outside the South, and is indicative of the conservative nature of the group. Which includes a history of racism.

Good for them.

15 minutes ago, Ace Dilcock said:

As someone raised in a Southern Baptist household, I always thought it was odd that they would want to pigeonhole themselves. The name is not conducive to spreading outside the South, and is indicative of the conservative nature of the group. Which includes a history of racism.

Good for them.

They should drop ‘Baptist’ too. I reeks of toxic masculinity.