Sign in to follow this  
kingofnerf

Wildfire damage in the Western states

Arson. 22 arrests so far. 

Like this guy. Arrested after witnesses saw him using a Molotov cocktail to start a brush fire in Portland. He was arrested, the released because.......Portland.... then proceeded to start six more fires the next day. 

33170074-8731471-image-m-21_160009976102

https://katu.com/news/local/man-arrested-after-admitting-he-used-molotov-cocktail-to-start-brush-fire-in-portland

32 minutes ago, taylorssc said:

Arson. 22 arrests so far. 

Like this guy. Arrested after witnesses saw him using a Molotov cocktail to start a brush fire in Portland. He was arrested, the released because.......Portland.... then proceeded to start six more fires the next day. 

33170074-8731471-image-m-21_160009976102

https://katu.com/news/local/man-arrested-after-admitting-he-used-molotov-cocktail-to-start-brush-fire-in-portland

How long before we get the "he's a right wing plant" schtick?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

This video of the Pacific Palisades fire last October shows the prowess of the local fire-fighting resources and also shows the importance of the regulations that keep the brush away from the homes.  Some do it; most don't.

Here is the Little Mountain fire out in San Bernardino also from last October.  The houses are right next to each other and have foliage very close to the eaves of multiple homes sometimes.  Look at how hard it is for firefighters to put out a single small fire because the houses are so close together.

Sure, the fire risks have gotten greater over the years, but the building codes and zoning either are non-existent or not enforced.

A firefighter has been killed in the El Dorado Fire, the blaze sparked this month by a botched gender reveal party, according to the San Bernardino National Forest Service.

The El Dorado Fire was started by a "smoke-generating pyrotechnic device" used at a party over Labor Day weekend in El Dorado Ranch Park in Yucaipa, about 70 miles east of Los Angeles, according to Cal Fire investigators.

Fire officials told CNN at the time that those involved were cooperating with fire investigators.

As of Thursday night, the El Dorado Fire had scorched more than 19,000 acres and was 66% contained.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/us/el-dorado-gender-reveal-death-trnd/index.html

On 9/15/2020 at 8:48 PM, Blitzkrieg said:

How long before we get the "he's a right wing plant" schtick?

I dunno - but I do know that the current rumor on social media is that ANTIFA is behind the fires. 

So as usual, you and your GRU rightwing buds are waaaay ahead of the Left with the lies and propaganda. And now you are doing the pre-emptive "accuse the other side of doing what you do" thing to confuse people. Excellent job, Comrade Blitzy!

I think it's a lot of factors. In no particular order. I don't think you can say it's all or nothing of one things. I think climate change certainly makes it worse. 

• Arson
  • Forest management
  • continued building homes in areas that are prone to fires, that in past decades would not have been such a big deal.
  • Droughts
  • Climate change
  • sparking power lines
  • heat

3 minutes ago, Spur's Addiction said:

I think it's a lot of factors. In no particular order. I don't think you can say it's all or nothing of one things. I think climate change certainly makes it worse. 

• Arson
  • Forest management
  • continued building homes in areas that are prone to fires, that in past decades would not have been such a big deal.
  • Droughts
  • Climate change
  • sparking power lines
  • heat

When conditions are right, it is not really a matter of what starts the fire, just when. Any spark or lightning strike will get it going - arson speeds up the process, but it is not a case of "no arson, no fire".

Cali knows that global warming plays a major role, which is why they have been pushing higher environmental standards for years. Trump not only fights Cali on this, but he also blames them for the fire problems - for not raking the forests.

Having lived in Southern California for 4 years I can tell you this: 

Just like the song says, it never rains there.  Maybe only less than 20 days a year, if that.

You may get a week of rain that causes the vegetation to grow and the landscape is absolutely beautiful, then nothing for months and then the brush dries out and becomes the fuel for the wildfires.

Warmer temperatures definitely contribute to the problem, of course, but it's a unique real estate environment out there, too.

There is water rationing many months out of the year and the real estate prices are outrageous.  The apartment market is much more affordable and the housing market is only affordable in the rural areas where the turbo fires are now occurring.

There are some home properties that will have a concrete front yard to park your cars on because the lots are so small.  If you pay attention to the burned out neighborhoods, the homes are rectangular with a two-car garage on the street end.  People grow trees and shrubs in between the properties for aesthetics and privacy, whereas most homes in cookie-cutter neighborhoods back here simply don't have windows on the side walls for privacy.

I just wonder if the stucco Spanish-style designs with terracotta roof tiles are more resistant to wildfire embers than the more common designs.

I saw the other day where 13 of the recent fires have been caused by downed power lines.  Why not just put the power lines in the ground or above ground conduit pipe in the more at risk areas?

I also wonder why don't they use more aerial firefighting assets for these types fires.  I also saw somewhere that the average California firefighter makes $100K/year and that has to be due to the overtime fighting the wildfires.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:08 PM, kingofnerf said:

The houses are right next to each other and have foliage very close to the eaves of multiple homes sometimes. 

Same with a lot of the semi-rural areas in AZ. The home owners allow the dry brush to grow in areas and do not create any kind of buffer. But some of this is unavoidable unless we cut down everything. 67a8563f-b670-4aac-9789-945fae963ef3_192