Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Carlous Williams

Committed to USC on Wednesday.    Had offers from several big schools.  I think he is the first player we've ever gotten out of Mississippi.   This strikes me as strange.   He's a 6-6 forward.   I thought we were after someone taller.    Unless someone leaves, we don't have a scholarship for him.    Seems strange to me.  But then I have no inside information as to what is going on with the players.   I guess Frank expects a scholarship to be available.    Anyway, based on his offers, seems like a good prospect.   

The article I read says he's 6-6 230 and listed him as 'burly'.  Also said his highlights have some thunderous dunks.  Glad to get him and agree it's not common we beat out the instate schools,  as well as Baylor and Houston but I'll take him.  Looks like a very solid player.  Excited to see hm play.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:13 AM, gamecock88 said:

The article I read says he's 6-6 230 and listed him as 'burly'.  Also said his highlights have some thunderous dunks.  Glad to get him and agree it's not common we beat out the instate schools,  as well as Baylor and Houston but I'll take him.  Looks like a very solid player.  Excited to see hm play.

The State's headline about his signing says he's a "power wing".

His highlights are dunk after dunk... He has decent ball skills and 3 point range, he plays tough nose defense and showed some good vision. He reminds me of Thornwell on the wing before his knee injury and he had to play with the ball in his hands so much. He had some insane blocks and was very animated on the court with his teammates, looks like a real blue collar, Martin type kid. Love the pick up!

I'm more than excited about this get.  Everything I see and everything that he has said makes me think that he's sold out on being a Gamecock and being a GREAT Gamecock.  I've got to see a bit more of what he will bring to the table defensively, but if he's as agressive after the ball on both sides of the floor as he is at attacking the glass offensively... I like this kid a LOT.  And the fact that he was being chased by programs like Baylor and others shows that he wasn't just some "under the radar" kid.  Looks like the real deal to me.  Can't wait to see what he can do as a Freshman, and what he matures into as a Senior!

• Like 1

He appears to be similar in size and skillset to both Carrera and Lakeem Jackson. Carrera had the better career because he worked hard on his shooting and made a lot of threes.

Williams seems to have a better stroke than Jackson, so hopefully he will turn out more like Carrera, He is the #2 player in Mississippi and #50 SF, so he is a legit pick-up.

• Like 1

One other thing...

I remember when Spurrier first arrived, he went after track guys to improve the overall team speed. That is the deal in the SEC - speed kills. Even D Linemen are fast.

It is the same with athletes in basketball - high risers who can run the floor and explode. Keyshawn Bryant is one of those guys, also McCreary and Hannibal. Carlous seems to be similar. 

• High Five 1

On 9/6/2020 at 1:47 PM, Ace Dilcock said:

He appears to be similar in size and skillset to both Carrera and Lakeem Jackson. Carrera had the better career because he worked hard on his shooting and made a lot of threes.

Williams seems to have a better stroke than Jackson, so hopefully he will turn out more like Carrera, He is the #2 player in Mississippi and #50 SF, so he is a legit pick-up.

I would also say, in comparing Williams with Carrera and Lakeem Jackson that Lakeem would likely have been a MUCH more advanced player had he played under the current Frank Martin regime.  Playing as a recruit of the "Coach who shall not be named" meant certain death in player development.  :hurt: