Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cocky0

Boiled Peanuts

Recommended Posts

It's that time of year - probably the best thing about summer in the South. And since I received an Instant Pot for Father's Day, I decided to try cooking peanuts in it. I'm thoroughly impressed. What usually takes me a good 4 hours to cook the traditional way is done in about an hour and a half in the Instant Pot. 

 

And since they're cheap, and one of my favorite foods, I've probably eaten half a bushel by myself in this past week. I'll be cooking some more tomorrow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Tell me more. Love boiled peanuts but have never done them myself. Don;t have an instapot. But do have a turkey fryer which I guess would be more like the traditional way.

Yeah then all you should have to do is buy some green peanuts and put them in the pot with enough water to cover. Peanuts will float, so you kind of have to eyeball how much is needed. Then just add about half a cup of salt per gallon of water and boil for about four hours. Add more water as they cook since you'll lose some to evaporation. Then just taste test a few peanuts once you're close to being done. Drain then eat.

  • High Five 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you with an Instant Pot, here's a rough recipe I'm working with. Mine is an 8qt model, so you may have to adjust things to your model. Basically I rinse the peanuts before adding them to the pot. My local grocery store sells green peanuts in bags of about 3-4 lbs, and I'm able to fit the whole bag in the pot. I then add my salt and fill the water just to the Max PC line, seal, and set for high pressure at 1hr and 5 minutes. After it's done, I let it naturally release pressure (30 minutes or so) before draining and eating. I'm still trying to dial in the right amount of salt. 1/2 a cup for that whole batch seems to be too little. My wife did a batch with 3/4 cup, and they were very salty, but I think that's because they sat in the water for over an hour before I got home to drain them. So maybe 3/4 of a cup will work if I drain immediately or 1/2 a cup if I plan to let them sit for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the pressure cooker still - it takes about 1/3 the time of a regular cooker, not familiar with the Instant Pot (sounds more like a grow light for marijuana). I do not do flavorings other than salt, but I have had some that are flavored with hamhocks, also with hot peppers, and they were good also.

But I was wondering about the title of the thread - is there something else that you can do with peanuts besides boil them? Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheYancey said:

Ace, the Instant Pot IS a pressure cooker. It is just updated with modern electronics and safety features.  It can also do many other things from cooking rice to making yogurt.

https://instantpot.com/

Mine has a sous vide function too. I haven't tried it out yet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I need to get with the program and go modern, LOL.

I did not get an answer to my question so I did my own research. Apparently - and why you would do this, I have no idea - some people ROAST peanuts. In other words, dry them out so they are like charcoal peanuts.

Amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ace Dilcock said:

I did not get an answer to my question so I did my own research. Apparently - and why you would do this, I have no idea - some people ROAST peanuts. In other words, dry them our so they are like charcoal peanuts.

Amazing!

Some people make them into a paste, kind of like butter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Some people make them into a paste, kind of like butter. 

I guess there are people out there that have not figured out that they can be boiled. 

Next thing is someone is going to say that the oil can be squeezed out and used for cooking turkeys.

Crazy stuff - just boil them!! That is why God created peanuts!!

  • High Five 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this should go without saying.....

Do not boil dried peanuts unless there is no alternative. Boil them green - fresh out of the dirt.

I believe that the only reason that boiled peanuts are not consumed all over the world is that people have been fed peanuts that are dried and then boiled. Like the environmentalists say - Go Green!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ace Dilcock said:

And this should go without saying.....

Do not boil dried peanuts unless there is no alternative. Boil them green - fresh out of the dirt.

I believe that the only reason that boiled peanuts are not consumed all over the world is that people have been fed peanuts that are dried and then boiled. Like the environmentalists say - Go Green!

 

Au contraire. You can boil dried peanuts. Treat them like dried beans and give them a good soak overnight in plenty of water.  A plate with a can of vegetables to weight them down so they stay submerged will help. The next day boil as normal. It'll still take a bit longer than green peanuts, but it works. 

 

I spent a year living in Kuwait, and dry peanuts were all I could get my hands on. 

 

5J6je7L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cocky0 said:

 

Au contraire. You can boil dried peanuts. Treat them like dried beans and give them a good soak overnight in plenty of water.  A plate with a can of vegetables to weight them down so they stay submerged will help. The next day boil as normal. It'll still take a bit longer than green peanuts, but it works. 

 

I spent a year living in Kuwait, and dry peanuts were all I could get my hands on. 

 

5J6je7L.jpg

I never pre-soaked them but the taste is not the same - if they have been dried out, they are never as juicy. 

But if you cannot get your hands on green peanuts - and they are available just a few months every year - dried is better than not having boiled peanits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ace Dilcock said:

 

But if you cannot get your hands on green peanuts - and they are available just a few months every year - dried is better than not having boiled peanits.

 

Yeah you go spend time in a crazy place like Kuwait, and you learn to make do with whatever you can get your hands on. I even had to resort to doing ribs in the oven.

 

7p2XAIX.jpg

 

Yes that is pork. And yes pork is banned in Kuwait. :playboy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, cocky0 said:

 

Yeah you go spend time in a crazy place like Kuwait, and you learn to make do with whatever you can get your hands on. I even had to resort to doing ribs in the oven.

 

7p2XAIX.jpg

 

Yes that is pork. And yes pork is banned in Kuwait. :playboy:

I won't drop a dime on you - some things you gotta do, even if means risking hard time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a local nut roaster who sold me raw peanuts and I used the Instapot to pressure cook 1 lb of raw peanuts. 

 

10 cups water

1/2 cup sea salt

1 lb raw peanuts in the shell

Set timer for 65 minutes. Also put a trivet inside to keep the peanuts submerged. 65 minutes in a pressure cooker is a LONG time. Once done, vented the InstaPot and let them sit for 30 minutes  in the pot before removing. Honestly I think they could have used more time in the InstaPot but my kids liked them so. They still had a bit of a crunch to them, not as mushy perhaps as I remember. 

I have another pound that I may experiment again with over the weekend. Maybe add a spice or something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TKE226 said:

I found a local nut roaster who sold me raw peanuts and I used the Instapot to pressure cook 1 lb of raw peanuts. 

 

10 cups water

1/2 cup sea salt

1 lb raw peanuts in the shell

Set timer for 65 minutes. Also put a trivet inside to keep the peanuts submerged. 65 minutes in a pressure cooker is a LONG time. Once done, vented the InstaPot and let them sit for 30 minutes  in the pot before removing. Honestly I think they could have used more time in the InstaPot but my kids liked them so. They still had a bit of a crunch to them, not as mushy perhaps as I remember. 

I have another pound that I may experiment again with over the weekend. Maybe add a spice or something 

Try letting the pressure release naturally. In mine it takes about 30-45 minutes. Then let them sit for another 30 minutes or so to continue softening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

GCF Copyright

Copyright © 2009-2020 GamecockFanatics.com - All Rights Reserved. GameCock Fanatics is an independent, fan based website. This forum is not sponsored by, or affiliated with, the University of South Carolina, or any other organization.

GamecocksFanatics.com

Youtube-Logo.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...