Sign in to follow this  
kingofnerf

The Battle of Gettysburg July 1st-4th 1863

We did a day tour of Gettysburg when I was attending ANCOC in the Army.  A classic battle of it's time.  The hills offered quite the dramatic view of events as explained by the Park Ranger.  It's a great park to visit if you're into history.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The Youtube channel "Stuffwriter" has tons of filmed battle walks. 

Living 1 hour 15 minutes from the battlefield, I was able to participate in one last year. Hot as all heck, walking through some of the worst ground ever, we toured from atop Devils Den and down to the Triangular Field and around. I've met both John Hoptak and Matt Atkinson (in the posted videos). Great people and very knowledgeable. 

There is so much that can be said about the battle. In fact so many books, videos, etc have been written its almost overkill. I've personally read books by Pfanz, Trudeau, Sears, and Wittenberg specific to the battle of Gettysburg. One fascinating book I read was just about the artillery at gettysburg, not sure of the author. 

Whatever you have an opinion on, I think we can all agree that many a brave man fought and died as a result of that battle.

Oddly enough I was camping at Point Lookout, MD over this past weekend, which was the site of a Confederate POW camp set up after Gettysburg. Supposed to hold 10k, it held 52,000. Over 3,000 people died there. 

19 minutes ago, TKE226 said:

The Youtube channel "Stuffwriter" has tons of filmed battle walks. 

Living 1 hour 15 minutes from the battlefield, I was able to participate in one last year. Hot as all heck, walking through some of the worst ground ever, we toured from atop Devils Den and down to the Triangular Field and around. I've met both John Hoptak and Matt Atkinson (in the posted videos). Great people and very knowledgeable. 

There is so much that can be said about the battle. In fact so many books, videos, etc have been written its almost overkill. I've personally read books by Pfanz, Trudeau, Sears, and Wittenberg specific to the battle of Gettysburg. One fascinating book I read was just about the artillery at gettysburg, not sure of the author. 

Whatever you have an opinion on, I think we can all agree that many a brave man fought and died as a result of that battle.

Oddly enough I was camping at Point Lookout, MD over this past weekend, which was the site of a Confederate POW camp set up after Gettysburg. Supposed to hold 10k, it held 52,000. Over 3,000 people died there. 

If you're ever down Richmond way try and visit the Petersburg battlefield.  I was sent to school at Ft Lee on several occasions and the battlefield borders part of it.  We'd get out of class most days around 4 o'clock so I often visited the battlefield.  In the museum there they have several bullets that actually hit each other in flight and morphed into one glob of lead.   Accounts of the battle had soldiers on both sides stating that there were so many bullets flying around that it sounded like bees buzzing about.

Thanks for the tip about "Stuffwriter" I'll check it out.

• High Five 1
  • Downvote 1

I live near Manassas battlefield and on July 2nd will be driving by Gettysburg on my way to see family.  It always kind of seemed poetic driving from one of the first major battles that kind of set the stage for the South to even survive 6 months to the final significant battle of the war.  

1 hour ago, Lalli25 said:

I live near Manassas battlefield and on July 2nd will be driving by Gettysburg on my way to see family.  It always kind of seemed poetic driving from one of the first major battles that kind of set the stage for the South to even survive 6 months to the final significant battle of the war.  

Will you have a chance to stop at the battlefield? It being July 2nd I am sure it will be crowded. 

If the North had shown aggression during the South's retreat from Gettysburg, that army may have only lasted 6 months or less. But the North was also beat up bad from the battle. 

1 hour ago, TKE226 said:

Will you have a chance to stop at the battlefield? It being July 2nd I am sure it will be crowded. 

If the North had shown aggression during the South's retreat from Gettysburg, that army may have only lasted 6 months or less. But the North was also beat up bad from the battle. 

Unfortunately I don’t have time to.  I’ve got to be up to NY area by mid day. 

Both sides were worn out from 3 days of fighting in wool uniforms in the summer heat. It would have been extremely difficult to switch from a defensive campaign to an offensive campaign. Meade did get after Lee after a few days, but neither side had any desire for further fighting then.

12 hours ago, Spur's Addiction said:

Visited there about 10 years ago. It was very moving. I have no idea the battlefield was so huge without seeing it in person. Every American should go visit the site at least once in their lifetime. 

it is an amazing site to behold (if amazing is the right kind of word)