Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

Gamecocks showing interest in 6-8 grad transfer Kevin Marfo of Quinnipiac

Gamecocks showing interest in 6-8 grad transfer Kevin Marfo of Quinnipiac

March 17, 2020

Gamecocks showing interest in 6-8 grad transfer Kevin Marfo of Quinnipiac according to a 247Sports report. The Gamecocks also are reportedly interested in Virginia Tech transfer Landers Nolley II according to Stockrisers.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:05 PM, Gary said:

Both of those guys are good players.   I would love to get both.  But at the moment, no scholarships are open.

@GaryCoach Martin knows the drill by now... SOMEONE on the squad is going to choose to go elsewhere, seeking out more minutes or a greater role on a team.  We've got at least two candidates who will likely be in that camp (I would expect to hear something by April 15th at latest, barring some more strange turns of events with the coronavirus stuff). 

Nolley is unlikely, if Buzz Peterson has room for him at A&M, given that he recruited him to Va. Tech.  That being said, if Peterson can't put him on his squad, I guarantee you that he would give a good recommendation for Nolley to play for Coach Martin, despite both coaches playing in the same league.

Marfo, in my mind, is even LESS of a likelihood than Nolley is.  You may have seen this news, but just in case...

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Kevin-Marfo-Quinnipiac-Graduate-Transfer-145108032/

As you note... both players would be good (if not great) grabs for the Gamecocks.  I'd love it if one or both could join the team.

My two cents.....

Maik Kotsar leaves a huge hole - a big man that can rebound, defend, pass, etc. Incredibly, he even became a reliable offensive threat this year, and was one of the best SHOOTERS on the team. Who would have thought that??

I do not see Nolley (6' 7" swing type) or Stevenson (6'3" Guard) as needs. The strength of the team is at Guard and Wing, and we do not lose anyone, plus Seventh Woods will be good to go.

Based on that, I see that being the likeliest places to lose transfers.  It could change - I am certainly not writing off either player if they can stay healthy and work hard - but Moss and Tre Anderson seem to be a step slow to play in the SEC. If one leaves, that opens up a spot for Seventh. If both leave, then we would need a plug n'play big man.

Jordan Bruner is not a true Center, but he has a lot of the versatility that Kotsar showed. Rebound, pass, defend. Plus he is local player, his sis played here, and aleady has his Yale degree - otherwise, Clemson, the "Harvard of the South", would be his likely destination. Bruner would make us a match-up nightmare.

Kevin Marfo is also versatile and is a monster rebounder - you know how much Frank loves rebounders. Interestingly, he was part of the 2016 recruiting class at George Washington - the other notable recruit in that class was one Jair Bolden. I do not know if they are tight, but that connection can't hurt.

Bottom line - I think that Anderson and Moss leave, and that we add either Bruner or Marfo. That will give us the most talent that we have EVER have. Let's just hope that Covid-19 lets us play the season.