Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kingofnerf

Coronavirus: Real or imagined threat to the US?

Recommended Posts

Quote

Brian Kemp, the Republican governor of Georgia, admitted on Wednesday that he had only just learned that asymptomatic individuals can still spread coronavirus — even though health experts had warned about the possibility as early as January.

And we wonder why they think people from the south are stupid...

  • High Five 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MFB said:

Yea because the way you word they were not in working in order is a super big deal to the forever offended crowd

They don’t need batteries to operate, the battery pack is only a backup.

Plug the vent in, the battery pack charges while it’s plugged in.

Instead of doing that, they swapped out 170 battery packs overnight, pop one out, pop one in.

It was simply misleading reporting to call the vents broken or bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pitchcock said:

They don’t need batteries to operate, the battery pack is only a backup.

Plug the vent in, the battery pack charges while it’s plugged in.

Instead of doing that, they swapped out 170 battery packs overnight, pop one out, pop one in.

It was simply misleading reporting to call the vents broken or bad.

Not true. False. You are making up lies


the ventilator’s batteries were completely depleted and most were missing oxygen hoses.

The trump administration was in contract dispute last year and ended the contract with the company that was fulfilling the national stockpile order for ventilators. They had stopped work for like a year.

Then trump sent California a bunch of the broken ventilators cause that’s all they had

this was all in The NY Times. Not sure where you get your news but you are wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pitchcock said:

It’s going to be difficult to get “good” numbers. There are people who have had it, were basically asymptomatic, and never knew they had it.

There are people who have/had it, simply don’t feel good, but don’t have severe enough symptoms to warrant testing.

There are people who die, who may have the virus when they die, but don’t necessarily die “from” the virus. Their death certificate may or may not list the virus as cause of death, some may be tested, some may not.

Per the CDC, around 7700 people here die daily nationwide. During what is established flu season, deaths climb to around 8400 per day.

 

I'm not 100% certain what your point is. I don't disagree with anything you posted. However when I read it, I thought you were about to come to your conclusion when you stopped. Would you mind finishing this thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tastylicks said:

Not true. False. You are making up lies


the ventilator’s batteries were completely depleted and most were missing oxygen hoses.

The trump administration was in contract dispute last year and ended the contract with the company that was fulfilling the national stockpile order for ventilators. They had stopped work for like a year.

Then trump sent California a bunch of the broken ventilators cause that’s all they had

this was all in The NY Times. Not sure where you get your news but you are wrong

It doesn’t matter that the batteries were completely depleted. The vent will still operate if you simply plug it in. The battery pack is only a backup.

I’m guessing you think they should be left plugged in? Do you know the issue with that?

Now you’re hanging your hat on “oxygen hoses”? A reusable, yet replaceable item that is frequently swapped out because they degrade? I notice you didn’t mention the air hose, only the oxygen hose. There’s a reason for that.

The vents weren’t broken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pitchcock said:

It doesn’t matter that the batteries were completely depleted. The vent will still operate if you simply plug it in. The battery pack is only a backup.

I’m guessing you think they should be left plugged in? Do you know the issue with that?

Now you’re hanging your hat on “oxygen hoses”? A reusable, yet replaceable item that is frequently swapped out because they degrade? I notice you didn’t mention the air hose, only the oxygen hose. There’s a reason for that.

The vents weren’t broken.

Ah okay, so you are wrong and still blabbing on and on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, STS said:

just wait until the antibody tests are more widely available....I know of people who tested positive for COVID-19 who thought they had a sinus infection so I wonder if there are thousands if not millions who were exposed.  I think that once antibody tests are released that the number of those who have been infected will go through the roof while the mortality rate gets smaller and smaller.   I am curious as to what makes one more susceptible to the virus and what makes the morbidity so different. I have read some fascinating insight into the pathophysiology of the disease...one that makes pretty good sense is that it causes thrombosis of microvascular beds leading to ischemia and cell death...they were advocating for anticoagulants....if this is true it would account for the different manifestations of the disease as well as speak to the quick nature.  Good luck in staying safe!  I am out of work until at least August (is my bet) but probably longer

Awesome. I get a huge dose of heparin at dialysis every couple of days.

Come to think about it, I haven't heard anybody on dialysis (most of us are given anti-cooagulants) getting COVID-19 despite supposedly being in high risk category. We may being getting it but not suffering the symptoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sporkgod50 said:

I'm not 100% certain what your point is. I don't disagree with anything you posted. However when I read it, I thought you were about to come to your conclusion when you stopped. Would you mind finishing this thought?

You’re right, I had something come up and stopped mid thought. And I have to run again, so this’ll be brief.

A lot of flu deaths are estimations, because death certificates usually state COD (Cause Of Death) as cardiac arrest, respiratory failure, renal failure, gunshot wound, etc. I’ve never seen a death certificate list influenza as a COD. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I’ve just never seen it. Influenza deaths are supposed to be noted by local/state health departments, but you can probably imagine the bureaucratic nightmare of getting statistics from all over the US to the CDC. Since daily deaths tend to rise during flu season and fall when it ends, the CDC has to essentially guess that increase is due to flu.

It’s entirely possible that this virus hit here much earlier than it’s believed to have. There’s no telling how many people the last several months got sick, had a negative flu swab, and bounced back in a couple of days with MD’s simply guessing they had a random virus. Tom Hanks and his wife bounced back fine. Prince Charles looks great. The NBA guys bounced back fine. If no one knew about Covid, it would’ve been assumed they just had a nasty bug.

Now contrast that with an elderly patient with multiple comorbidities, they already have a bad heart, bad lungs, and/or bad kidneys. It doesn’t take much to push them over the edge. If they’ve had multiple long hospitalizations with severe chronic issues, come back into the hospital and die, if they happen to have a positive Covid swab yet die of cardiac arrest what goes on the death certificate as COD? 

I read an article this morning, a NY ER MD died at home. His husband said that he’d been sick for several days with what they both thought were Covid symptoms, but he never went to be tested. He wasn’t healthy, he’d already survived two separate bouts with cancer. He woke up in the morning with crushing chest pain, his husband called 911, and he was dead when EMS arrived.

His husband is insisting he had to have had Covid. He may have, but his likely COD was myocardial infarction/ cardiac arrest. If his husband insists, the Coroner or a MD at whatever hospital he was taken to might put Covid, or they might not.

So statistically, 7500-8500 people die every day. If 1,000 people die today that might happen to be Covid+, some of them certainly died because of the virus. But some of them statistically were going to die today whether they were Covid+ or not. If 8500 people die today and none of them were swabbed, you can’t assume they didn’t have Covid, but you can’t prove they did. And there are potentially millions of people who’ve had it, don’t realize it, and would only know if they were checked for antibodies.

So, people wanting “good numbers” for statistics aren’t going to get them. Make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pitchcock said:

I’ve done this for a living for 25 years.

You watch Greys Anatomy.

You cried when McDreamy died. Here’s a hint....it’s a tv show. He’s really not dead.

Nah, never really got into that show. big TV fan huh? No wonder you worship the guy from Celebrity Apprentice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pitchcock said:

I’ve done this for a living for 25 years.

You watch Greys Anatomy.

You cried when McDreamy died. Here’s a hint....it’s a tv show. He’s really not dead.

How old are you? What do you for a living?

I think much of this has to do with how much of a viral load a person is exposed to. There are young, healthy nurses and doctors getting very sick and like has been said many people are testing positive with little or no symptoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tastylicks said:

Nah, never really got into that show. big TV fan huh? No wonder you worship the guy from Celebrity Apprentice

 

Amazing how much you add to this thread, you are like the Kelly Bundy of this thread or the Rose Nyland, I'm leaning towards Rose Nyland...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tastylicks said:

Why was Jared Kushner addressing the nation? How is he qualified to be on that stage?

He ran his father's fraudulent company after he was convicted of fraud and witness tampering/intimidation and he has sex with Donny's dream girl...that's the entire resume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LBC said:

Watch this doctor drop some facts on FoxNews and stop anything approaching a follow up fact base discussion while ended his chances of ever coming back...that pause you see is her producers screaming in her ear...ABORT!! ABORT!!

 

Pretty blond Fox lady #37 looked like a deer in headlights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

GCF Copyright

Copyright © 2009-2020 GamecockFanatics.com - All Rights Reserved. GameCock Fanatics is an independent, fan based website. This forum is not sponsored by, or affiliated with, the University of South Carolina, or any other organization.

GamecocksFanatics.com

Youtube-Logo.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...