Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

GAMECOCK-GAMEDAY THREAD: South Carolina vs. Georgia ***Feb. 12,  at 6:30pm.***

GAMECOCK-GAMEDAY THREAD: South Carolina vs. Georgia ***Feb. 12, 2020 at 6:30pm.***

Colonial-Life-ArenaROUNDED-GDAY.png

**Feb. 12, 2020 - Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.**

v_qSWobmD1Cf4q9hlMLLzA_96x96.png South Carolina Gamecocks vs. Georgia Bulldogs 1rnIlVYoXW7vinl0wPNBFA_96x96.png

--------------------------------------------

COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina (14-9, 6-4 SEC) travels to face Georgia (12-11, 2-8 SEC) on Wednesday night at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens.  The meeting, scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. ET tip time, is the first between the two schools this season.

GAME INFORMATION
Arena: Stegeman Coliseum (10,523)
Broadcast: SEC Network
Play-By-Play: Mike Morgan
Analyst: Jon Sundvold
Radio: Gamecock Radio Network
In Columbia: 107.5 The Game
Play-By-Play: Derek Scott
Analyst: Casey Manning
SIRIUS: - | XM: 380 | INTERNET: 970
Watch: WatchESPN/ESPN App
Live Stats: GamecocksOnline.com
Tickets: Arena box office
Series: Georgia leads 58-55
In Athens: UGA leads 33-19
Trend: Carolina has won six straight
Last Game: 66-46 Carolina win on March 9, 2019, in Columbia

SCOUTING THE BULLDOGS
> Georgia is 12-11 overall and 2-8 in SEC action entering Wednesday's matchup vs. Carolina.
> Head coach Tom Crean is in his second season leading the Bulldogs.
> Both of UGAs conference wins have come at home, an 80-63 victory over Tennessee on Jan. 15, and more recently a 63-48 win over Texas A&M (Feb. 1).
> In home games, UGA is 10-3 and holds a +11.9 scoring margin.
> The Bulldogs are led by freshman Anthony Edwards, who averages 19.7 points per outing.  Edwards was recently named to the 20-member late-season Wooden Award Watch List as the nation's top scoring freshman.
> Rookie guard Sahvir Wheeler paces the team with 4.5 assists per game.  
> In the SEC stats (overall games), Georgia is fourth in scoring offense (76.8 ppg), fourth in field goal percent (45.1%), but 13th in field goal percent defense (45.0%).

TIPOFF NOTABLES
> South Carolina posted is sixth win in its last eight games with a dominant 74-54 home victory over the visiting Texas A&M Aggies on Saturday.  Three were in double figures for Carolina, led for the second straight game by R-freshman Jermaine Couisnard who scored 19.  Sophomore guard AJ Lawson (18) and senior forward Maik Kotsar (10) were also in double figures.
> For his efforts last week vs. Ole Miss, when he scored a season high 28 points, and his 19-point performance in the win over A&M, Couisnard was named the SEC Freshman of the Week for the second time this season.  He paces the Gamecocks in league contests with 16.4 points per game.  Over the last three games, he is averaging 20.6 per contest.
> Senior forward Maik Kotsar continues his career year in 2019-20.  The Tallinn, Estonia, native registered his 14th double-figure scoring contest of the season, and posted his 11th game this season with a team high in steals with 10 points and four steals vs. A&M.
> Kotsar is the only player in the SEC (conference games only) to be ranked in the top 10 in both rebounds (team high 7.3 per game/t-8th in the SEC) and steals (team high 1.8 per outing/t-6th).
> South Carolina saw its three-game win streak come to an end on when it suffered an 84-70 loss on the road at Ole Miss last Wednesday.  Breein Tyree led the Rebels with 38 points on 12 made baskets in the win.  
> R-freshman guard Jermaine Couisnard continued his hot streak on the offensive end, scoring a season high 28 vs. Ole Miss.  It was his second 20-point game of the year.  He connected on eight field goals, one shy of matching his season high, and hit a season best nine free throws.  He made six of his eight field goals in the second half.  Couisnard paces the Gamecocks in SEC action with 16.1 points per game.  
> Kotsar had a strong outing against the Rebels as well, especially in the first half when he scored 12 of his 19 points.  Kotsar also led the Gamecocks in rebounds (8), blocks (3) and steals (3) on Wednesday.
> In home games this season, Carolina is averaging 73.2 points per outing and 42.5 percent from the field.
> Since the beginning of the 2016 SEC campaign, Carolina is 30-11 (.731) in conference home contests.
> In its 14 wins, the Carolina defense is holding opponents to just 35.3 percent from the field and 26.0 percent from 3-point range.
> Martin is 33-45 (.435) against ranked opponents as a head coach. His teams have four wins over opponents ranked in the top five, and two wins over opponents who are ranked No. 1.
> The Gamecocks are 5-3 on the road this season, and are 27-36 (42.8%) in road contests dating back to the 2014-15 campaign.

OVER THE LAST FIVE GAMES
> Carolina is 4-1 (3-0 at home, 1-1 on the road)
> Couisnard's 14.8 points per game are a team high
> Lawson has hit 13-of-32 (40.6%) attempts from 3-point range
> Kotsar has a team high 6.6 rebounds, and also 12.4 points, 2.0 assists, 1.8 blocks and 2.0 steals per game
> Opponents are averaging just 36.3% from the field

COMING UP NEXT
> The Gamecocks return to Colonial Life Arena on Saturday for a 6 p.m. matchup vs. Tennessee.  The contest will be Carolina's Mike Slive Foundation game.  Mike Morgan (play-by-play) and Pat Bradley (analyst) will have the call for the SEC Network broadcast from Colonial Life Arena.

Every game now is critically important.   Extra tough playing on the road.  But, I think USC is in the best place they have been all season to handle a game like this.   It will come down to whether we can make enough shots (FG and FT).    UGA is not a great defensive team.   If we can exploit that, then we have a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Every game now is critically important.   Extra tough playing on the road.  But, I think USC is in the best place they have been all season to handle a game like this.   It will come down to whether we can make enough shots (FG and FT).    UGA is not a great defensive team.   If we can exploit that, then we have a chance.

I agree definitely with this. UGA is ranked nationally:

Scoring Defense: #303

FG % Defense: #280

3-pt. FG % Defense: #155

Blocks/Game: #136

Steals/Game: #70

Turnovers Forced: #140

This will help our offense which is not always that great - we've been inconsistent on offense, having really bad games where we can't hit anything, to having great games where we seemingly cannot be stopped from scoring. Hopefully we have a game like the latter tonight, and UGA doesn't stop us defensively.

UGA's own offense is slightly better than ours. Both teams are bad at the FT line. South Carolina is dead last - that's right, dead last - in the nation in personal fouls committed per game (#350), but UGA is pretty bad themselves at fouling. The Gamecocks are a much stronger defensive team:

Scoring Defense: #107

FG % Defense: #16 (#1 in SEC)

3-pt. FG % Defense: #31

Blocks/Game: #50

Steals/Game: #62 (#2 in SEC)

Turnovers Forced: #57 (#2 in SEC)

The last two stats may be key for the game, as UGA is a bad turnover team, ranked #298 (13th in SEC) in Turnovers per Game. We need to take care of the ball, minimize unforced turnovers, and come out ready to play strong defense and not be sloppy defensively. We should be OK tonight....

give them credit for hitting a couple tough shots but there was a bad stretch where they scored on 6 straight possessions.  we started to lose some of our connectivity and discipline on defense as the half wore on.  mccreary's activity has been great, 6 pts 4 reb a block and a steal off the bench.  of course that kotsar guy filling up the stat sheet with 7 pts 2 blocks and a steal.  38-20 at the half, keep it up. 

leveque is annoying me to no end with his lack of rim protection lately.  hes gone from the next silva to haase.  if frank doesnt bench him the rest of the game i swear.  doesnt rebound on the free throw then gives up a potential 4 pt play wtf is he doing out there if hes not blocking shots or grabbing rebounds. 

frank screwing with me going with a no shooter lineup up 20 with 6 and some change left.  need good defense out of this lineup and for the first two minutes we've gotten it and attacking the paint on the offensive end.  frink finding mccreary for a potential and 1 and then hannibal flashing to the rim for a layup. 

The South Carolina Gamecocks take another road SEC victory as they defeat Georgia in Athens  75-59  to improve to 15-9 and 7-4 in the SEC. A.J. Lawson scored 20 pts which is his first 20+ pt game in SEC play this season, along with 4 rebounds and 3 steals. Jermaine Couisnard followed with 14 pts, 4 assists, and 3 rebounds, Keyshawn Bryant scored 12 pts, and 5 rebounds, and Maik Kotsar added 11 pts, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks. Jalyn McCreary came off the bench to add 8 pts and 5 boards, Trae Hannibal contributed 4 pts and 6 boards, and Alanzo Frink only scored 3 pts, but led the team with 9 rebounds.

The Gamecocks next return home to Colonial Life Arena to host 14-10 Tennessee....

for some reason either kotsar wasnt credited with a block he had in the 2nd half or one he had in the 1st half was taken away.  not something any of us are too concerned about, still though.  lawson starting in december went 12 straight games with at least 2 turnovers and didnt have more assists than turnovers in any of those games.   his last 6 games only 3 turnovers.  tonight 20 pts 3 steals 2 assists 0 turnovers.  

• High Five 1

1 minute ago, crowcutta said:

for some reason either kotsar wasnt credited with a block he had in the 2nd half or one he had in the 1st half was taken away.  not something any of us are too concerned about, still though.  lawson starting in december went 12 straight games with at least 2 turnovers and didnt have more assists than turnovers in any of those games.   his last 6 games only 3 turnovers.  tonight 20 pts 3 steals 2 assists 0 turnovers.  

Hopefully we are starting to see some good consistency from the team down the final stretch, which would be capitalizing on the opportunities of playing much of the bottom half of the league standings the rest of the way. Got to make the hay while the sun shines!!!

purely in conference play from previous years kotsar's leap is incredible.  i thought going into the season he needed to improve from 2 particularly in sec play though i thought he couldnt make a big impact unless he stretched his range out to the 3pt line and i was wrong.  going into this year he never shot above 40.5% on 2pt shots in sec play, going into tonight 53.8%.  hes become money from the midrange.  never had more assists than turnovers in sec play, this year 2:1 ratio.  79.3% from the ft line in sec play this year.  i dont think theres a defender in the league thats come close to his impact in sec play. 

here's an sec play offensive and defensive rating comparison to thornwell's last season courtesy of sports-reference.com. 

thornwell ortg 120.9 drtg 89.3

kotsar ortg 120.7 drtg 90.0

that 30.7 differential leads the sec this year.

• High Five 1
  • Like 1

In other SEC play tonight, 11th-ranked Auburn escaped in a tough battle with in-state rival Alabama in overtime, 95-91, and Florida routed Texas A&M 78-61. With those and our game, the SEC standings are as follows:

Standings     Team          SEC W-L      Overall W-L

1 Auburn 9-2 0.818 - 22-2 0.917 15 4-2 8-2 7 Wins
1 Kentucky 9-2 0.818 - 19-5 0.792 20 5-3 8-2 3 Wins
1 LSU 9-2 0.818 - 18-6 0.750 27 3-4 8-2 1 Win
4 Florida 7-4 0.636 2 15-9 0.625 44 3-6 5-5 1 Win
4 South Carolina 7-4 0.636 2 15-9 0.625 75 3-5 7-3 2 Wins
6 Mississippi State 6-5 0.545 3 15-9 0.625 48 1-6 6-4 1 Loss
6 Tennessee 6-5 0.545 3 14-10 0.583 62 2-6 5-5 1 Win
8 Alabama 5-6 0.455 4 13-11 0.542 40 1-6 5-5 1 Loss
8 Texas A&M 5-6 0.455 4 11-12 0.478 133 1-4 4-6 2 Losses
10 Arkansas 4-7 0.364 5 16-8 0.667 43 2-5 4-6 3 Losses
10 Ole Miss 4-7 0.364 5 13-11 0.542 81 1-8 4-6 3 Wins
12 Missouri 3-8 0.273 6 11-13 0.458 94 1-9 3-7 1 Loss
13 Georgia 2-9 0.182 7 11-12 0.478 89 1-8 2-8 3 Losses
14 Vanderbilt 1-10 0.091 8 9-15 0.375 154 1-7 1-9 2 Losses

The UGA game at home and the Vanderbilt game in Nashville seem to be the easiest - doubt either of those teams have much chance at post-season play this season, and they will be looking towards their off-season plans. Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Alabama are basically where we are, and like us still have some say in how their seasons end, but we are right there with them with 2 games (UTjr. & MSU) at home, and 2 (Alabama & MSU) on the road. The LSU game will be the toughest but is at home, so we will have a chance there...

12 hours ago, ConwayGamecock said:

In other SEC play tonight, 11th-ranked Auburn escaped in a tough battle with in-state rival Alabama in overtime, 95-91, and Florida routed Texas A&M 78-61. With those and our game, the SEC standings are as follows:

Standings     Team          SEC W-L      Overall W-L

1 Auburn 9-2 0.818 - 22-2 0.917 15 4-2 8-2 7 Wins
1 Kentucky 9-2 0.818 - 19-5 0.792 20 5-3 8-2 3 Wins
1 LSU 9-2 0.818 - 18-6 0.750 27 3-4 8-2 1 Win
4 Florida 7-4 0.636 2 15-9 0.625 44 3-6 5-5 1 Win
4 South Carolina 7-4 0.636 2 15-9 0.625 75 3-5 7-3 2 Wins
6 Mississippi State 6-5 0.545 3 15-9 0.625 48 1-6 6-4 1 Loss

10 Ole Miss 4-7 0.364 5 13-11 0.542 81 1-8 4-6 3 Wins

The UGA game at home and the Vanderbilt game in Nashville seem to be the easiest - doubt either of those teams have much chance at post-season play this season, and they will be looking towards their off-season plans. Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Alabama are basically where we are, and like us still have some say in how their seasons end, but we are right there with them with 2 games (UTjr. & MSU) at home, and 2 (Alabama & MSU) on the road. The LSU game will be the toughest but is at home, so we will have a chance there...

The Ole Miss loss isn't looking as bad anymore, since they've now won 3 in a row.  Only Auburn and Kentucky have streaks with wins of that duration right now.  Those W's are harder and harder to come by this late in the season.  If we can put another W to our resume vs. Tennessee this weekend, we start looking pretty strong in that famed Lunardi "last 4 out" list.  Of course, we still have to add some of the big W's to our resume as well (Miss. St. or LSU).  It's looking quite do-able, though.  And some of the national prognosticators are starting to believe in us as well, with 6 of 8 W's recently.

Go 'Cocks!

21 hours ago, crowcutta said:

leveque is annoying me to no end with his lack of rim protection lately.  hes gone from the next silva to haase.  if frank doesnt bench him the rest of the game i swear.  doesnt rebound on the free throw then gives up a potential 4 pt play wtf is he doing out there if hes not blocking shots or grabbing rebounds. 

He is a Freshmen who played 7 minutes and gave us 1 rebound with 1 assist, 3 fouls and no turnovers, Moss played 15 minutes and put up the same stat line minus 2 fouls, 22 minutes from 2 Fr with no turnovers is a win in my book. I thought the foul on the 3 point shooter was a bad call, a flop and understandable call as Widens should jump straight up as he will learn to do but he is a FR and FR make FR mistakes that will annoy and frustrate. Many wanted Kotsar gone after last year, were annoyed and frustrated with him but look at the player he has become, many wanted Silva gone after his FR year but look at the player he became, I understand your frustration but have patients as I think if he can take the heat from Martin he will be a good one, he is aggressive and has a pretty good feel for the game.

Frink and McCreary have started to play without hesitation and with confidence on both ends of the floor, finding their place and being comfortable with it! Between them, Bryant and Hannibal we have shown great depth even with the loss of Minaya. We played 9 guys 15 minutes, Bolden can be a hot hand and Hannibal impresses more and more as he learns to play under control. I'm most impressed with the way they pass the ball, I used to get so frustrated with the lackadaisical passing of Martin teams on the offensive end of the floor and the last 5 games we have limited stupid turnovers and moved the ball with authority and crispness that teams with chemistry do. The Final Four team was the worse early in the year with lazy passes and a bulb seemed to go off late in the year, they played with purpose and aggressiveness the latter half of the year and into the tourney.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GMB2USC23 said:

He is a Freshmen who played 7 minutes and gave us 1 rebound with 1 assist, 3 fouls and no turnovers, Moss played 15 minutes and put up the same stat line minus 2 fouls, 22 minutes from 2 Fr with no turnovers is a win in my book. I thought the foul on the 3 point shooter was a bad call, a flop and understandable call as Widens should jump straight up as he will learn to do but he is a FR and FR make FR mistakes that will annoy and frustrate. Many wanted Kotsar gone after last year, were annoyed and frustrated with him but look at the player he has become, many wanted Silva gone after his FR year but look at the player he became, I understand your frustration but have patients as I think if he can take the heat from Martin he will be a good one, he is aggressive and has a pretty good feel for the game.

Frink and McCreary have started to play without hesitation and with confidence on both ends of the floor, finding their place and being comfortable with it! Between them, Bryant and Hannibal we have shown great depth even with the loss of Minaya. We played 9 guys 15 minutes, Bolden can be a hot hand and Hannibal impresses more and more as he learns to play under control. I'm most impressed with the way they pass the ball, I used to get so frustrated with the lackadaisical passing of Martin teams on the offensive end of the floor and the last 5 games we have limited stupid turnovers and moved the ball with authority and crispness that teams with chemistry do. The Final Four team was the worse early in the year with lazy passes and a bulb seemed to go off late in the year, they played with purpose and aggressiveness the latter half of the year and into the tourney.  

FINALLY someone else is beating the same drum I've been beating since last June!!  Our team needed time to gel, period.  We had 4 total guys who had ANY court time with each other returning.  ALL of the rest of the team were either FR, RS or were coming off significant injuries.  It was a project that needed some work to turn into a well oiled machine.  I've said for years that Coach Martin is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the SEC, and will win 4 out of every 5 games if we keep them close.  He understands  how to read other teams offensive tendencies like nobody's business, and can put defenses in that cause turnovers and easy baskets.  Add to that the fact that we FINALLY have shooters, great PG play, and great interior play PLUS a deep bench... We've got a team that literally can compete with any team in the SEC (and in most cases BEAT any team in the SEC).

On an unrelated topic... I'm a little scared of the Miss. St. games coming up.  We don't match up well with their strengths and we'll end up going deep into our bench in those two contests to play with them (foul trouble will likely rear it's ugly head again, due to the style that Miss. State plays).  But I truly think we could (and this is going to sound really strange) DOMINATE against LSU (meaning we beat them by at least 8-10 points), and have a lead most of the game.  If we steal one against Miss. St., beat LSU and win all of the games that we SHOULD win, I think we should see our NET rankings in the top 55 teams to end the season, which puts us in a great spot for an NCAA berth.

Keep the faith, fellow Gamecock Fanatics!  Our time is now!  And the future is even brighter!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GMB2USC23 said:

youre absolutely right, i meant to go back and add some perspective to his struggles because i have been overly end of the world negative in regards to his mistakes lately.   im definitely not giving up on him, i think he has a lot of potential especially like you said if he follows the path of silva and kotsar.  we're certainly going to need him next year.  it'll be huge for us down the stretch if he can give us some quality minutes as a rim protector.