Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

SC native Des Kitchings is in negotiations with Gamecock to replace Thomas Brown as RB coach

5 hours ago, cocky0 said:

After checking out the LSU boards there may be some legs to this...I'm basing this mostly on the idiocy of them claiming they have been trying to fire him anyway despite the fact that he is currently their assistance head coach, recruiting coordinator and running back coach for their National Championship team...they are even claiming he isn't a very good recruiter...despite the fact that LSU was ranked #5 last year and #1 this year under his leadership and the year prior to coming  to LSU was named recruiter of the year in the PAC-12

He doesn't stick around long but he is a great coach with a shit load of experience at the absolute highest levels...Dallas Cowboys, Texas Longhorns, So Cal Trojans, LSU Tigers...we will see but if it is between Kitchings and Robinson then good on Boom for continuing to impress. 

11 minutes ago, Longhaul said:

Orgeron has come out and said they already have his replacement if he leaves.  Sounds a little bitter to me,  so no telling. 

...well that sounds unprofessional. So the idea is they had a fabulous season in spite of Robinson? 

Coach O has had some losses from his staff. I’d say it’s expected when you have success, but it also makes you wonder what’s going on there?

Particularly with Robinson....big question is, did Muschamp contact him, or did he reach out to Muschamp?

I don’t think it’s a money thing, LSU has more than we do.

The more I read the better I feel about the options being discussed here...that being said...I'm still a Des Kitchings guy. Was quite simply the best recruiter in NC for the last 5 or 6 years...super smart...SC born and breed...puts guys in the NFL...turned down the Furman head caching job to stay with the plan at State...OC experience...best RB coach NC State has ever had...again...NC State has had ten 1,000 yard rushers in their history...Des recruited/coached 4 of them including going back to back to back up until this past year where he was forced to play three true freshman...two of which are going to be 1,000 yards rushers before its all said and done and once they get the QB situation back under control and can stay on the field. I think NC State had the youngest team in the country last year after sending a ton of top round draft picks to the league over the last few cycles.

Either way I'm looking forward to wrapping this up...beyond impressed with the class Boom pulled off and so far with Rocker, Hughes...Des or Robinson at RBC...and a WRC still to add...not forgetting how good of a hire Coach Jack and the S&C team was...and its pretty amazing how well Boom has done after the season we suffered through...for a number of reasons including losing our three year starting senior QB in the first game.

"South Carolina:Sources tell FootballScoop Will Muschamp has had significant dialogue with LSU assistant head coach / running backs / recruiting coordinator Tommie Robinson about joining his staff. We are told a decision could be made within the next 36 hours."

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/the-scoop-tuesday-february-11-2020/

Appeared Robinson wasn't getting a new contract at LSU, apparently b/c they wanted to go with Kevin Faulk at RB coach. Works for me. Guy has a ton of solid experience.Muschamp going with guys who have long and proven track records for DL and RB coach.

44 minutes ago, FeatheredCock said:

Muschamp going with guys who have long and proven track records for DL and RB coach.

Which is a refreshing from some of his previous hires. I guess we'll see how well it works out when we're 6-0 heading into the BYE week.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FurmanCock said:

I can't speak to who would be better between Kitchings and Robinson, but Robinson seems to move around a lot.

I trust that Muschamp will determine if that's upward mobility or simply wearing out his welcome.

I noticed that too, he doesn't stay put for more than 1 year. 3 yrs @ LSU was a bit of an anomaly for him. I think I'd rather take DK knowing he may stay put for 3-4 years (assuming current regime stays in tact)

On 2/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, FurmanCock said:

I'm not sure any of these changes were our choice, based upon previous Muschamp comments, but as long as we need to make some, let's try for upgrades.

could be good to see a paladin on the staff...I knew Des while at Furman and he seemed to be a quality person 

Looks like this was a whole lot of smoke with nothing even cooking on the stove.

https://southcarolina.n.rivals.com/news/mcclendon-staying-plus-latest-on-gamecock-football-staff

BMac stays at WR coach, Joe Cox takes over TEs, and Bentley goes back to coaching RBs.

• High Five 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, cocky0 said:

Looks like this was a whole lot of smoke with nothing even cooking on the stove.

https://southcarolina.n.rivals.com/news/mcclendon-staying-plus-latest-on-gamecock-football-staff

BMac stays at WR coach, Joe Cox takes over TEs, and Bentley goes back to coaching RBs.

This is a disappointment and, IMO will be a downgrade at RB, jury is out on WR. Muschamp can't get out of his own way. 

6 hours ago, Ace Dilcock said:

BMac did not get the job so he stayed. Bentley is a good offensive mind, can help with coaching QBs along with Bobo, and he has experience coaching RBs.

I hope Rod Wilson gets a shot at LBs - we need more former players on the staff (and fewer UGA grads).

I'm unaware of any evidence that anyone on last year's coaching staff has a good offensive mind.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, LBC said:

If it is Kitchens this is a huge hire...all he has done at NC State is succeed. Bring guys in...multiple 1,000 yard rushers...almost every year...and then send guys into the pros. His one year at Air Force he had them ranked 3rd nationally in rushing...at Air Force...and when he was at Vandy is when they had Zac Stacey and Warren Norman...both gave us trouble every year...for years...again...couple more 1,000 yard rushers and I think guys who at least got a shot in the pros. He got moved up into that Co-OC roll after Drinkwtz took the App State job and it didn't work out as well as they had wanted...QB situation there was what really hurt them...but this is a real coach...again...Des Kitchens would be a great hire. 

Well, of course at Air Force, they run a flexbone. 

• Like 1