kingofnerf

Angry father confronts Elizabeth Warren over student loan program

2 hours ago, kingofnerf said:

I don't agree with the media people about the liberal arts comments, but ...

I mean, they arent wrong. A liberal arts degree is a waste of time and money unless you plan on getting a graduate degree, and this plan to give free education is a big F you to responsible citizens.

30 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Do you understand the frustration of making sound financial choices/sacrifices while those who don't get bailed out?

I'm not sure what the solution is for all the people who have crippling student debt currently. I think it's a critical issue that needs to be dealt with. But I do not have a good solution. 

But I do have a plan going forward. Of course getting there is easier said than done.

We need to follow the european model to higher education. Once you get to about 6-7 grade,  you either go for the college / masters / Phd track or the vocational track. 

College track kids go on to become scientist, engineers, layers, doctors, etc. The other 70% go on to an apprenticeship program  to train as any number of craft skills (electrician, plumber, baker, chef, mason, carpenter, machinist, etc.) They get hands on training from their master, combined with classroom education for fundamental business skills. And most importantly, they w0n't go into massive debt getting a degree in something they most likely will never use., 

3 hours ago, Spur's Addiction said:

I'm not sure what the solution is for all the people who have crippling student debt currently. I think it's a critical issue that needs to be dealt with. But I do not have a good solution. 

But I do have a plan going forward. Of course getting there is easier said than done.

We need to follow the european model to higher education. Once you get to about 6-7 grade,  you either go for the college / masters / Phd track or the vocational track. 

College track kids go on to become scientist, engineers, layers, doctors, etc. The other 70% go on to an apprenticeship program  to train as any number of craft skills (electrician, plumber, baker, chef, mason, carpenter, machinist, etc.) They get hands on training from their master, combined with classroom education for fundamental business skills. And most importantly, they w0n't go into massive debt getting a degree in something they most likely will never use., 

Or... People could use common sense and not spend $100k to go to to an out of state college to study a field that doesn't pay well. If they choose to make that decision, they should be held responsible for their actions. It's not like they don't know how much they are borrowing and how long it would take to repay.

I do agree that having more tracks to careers would be nice, but most community colleges do just that already. Why do we need to hold people's hands?

5 hours ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Or... People could use common sense and not spend $100k to go to to an out of state college to study a field that doesn't pay well.

Yup...free education can be a form of entitlement. There's value in having to pay your way to get a degree if there's no other resources. 

I never understood the popularity of student loans. There are always exceptions, but it shouldn't be the norm. 

• High Five 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimG said:

Yup...free education can be a form of entitlement. There's value in having to pay your way to get a degree if there's no other resources. 

I never understood the popularity of student loans. There are always exceptions, but it shouldn't be the norm. 

I think many people want the "college experience" and don't think about how their choices will leave them saddled with debt they will ne paying on well into their 30's. 

There are many ways to get a low cost education, but they are mot as fun, so pile on the debt.

12 hours ago, SanAntonioCock said:

I've never understood the "I have it bad so everybody else should too" mentality. 

#winnerChickenDinner

It's dirt stupid lack of logic. She should have just said "that's great you did that for your daughter. But you shouldn't have had to, and others shouldn't have to in the future. We need to make it a priority to invest in our young people".

2 hours ago, JimG said:

Uh, when there's high demand for college degrees in the job market, it's a risk a lot of people are better off taking.

Just now, GoldenSpur7 said:

#winnerChickenDinner

It's dirt stupid lack of logic. She should have just said "that's great you did that for your daughter. But you shouldn't have had to, and others shouldn't have to in the future. We need to make it a priority to invest in our young people".

We need to teach them not to make poor financial choices, not give handouts.

2 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

We need to teach them not to make poor financial choices, not give handouts.

Taking out a student loan is not a poor financial choice, if the job market places increasing importance on having one.

It's a far better investment by the American treasury than the oversized war machine we blow $700 billion a year on. 10% of that would cover all college tuition in the US.

Just now, GoldenSpur7 said:

Taking out a student loan is not a poor financial choice, if the job market places an increasing importance on having one.

It's a far better investment by the American treasury than the oversized war machine we blow $700 billion a year on. 10% of that would cover all college tuition in the US.

If you take out loans to pay for a in demand degree I agree. That being said we shouldn't be paying for little Timmy to go $100k in debt and come out with a generic Liberal arts degree who's only job prospects are barista positions.

3 minutes ago, GoldenSpur7 said:

When tuition costs 40k a year? And you don't have a college degree? Where is the money going to come from?

Dude...really? Tuition does not have to cost $40k/yr. There are many options, just like there are options to avoid credit card debt. 

Where there's a will, there's a way. I went to college at night while working full time. It sucked, but I did it and paid it off as I went along. If I can do it, so can others. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenSpur7 said:

When tuition costs 40k a year? And you don't have a college degree? Where is the money going to come from?

Take pre-recs at community college, apply for grants/scholarships go to school instate, live at home, work part time... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimG said:

Dude...really? Tuition does not have to cost $40k/yr. There are many options, just like there are options to avoid credit card debt. 

Where there's a will, there's a way. I went to college at night while working full time. It sucked, but I did it and paid it off as I went along. If I can do it, so can others. 

This is not realistic these days. You probably did this in the 80's or early 90's like i did.

1 minute ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Take pre-recs at community college, apply for grants/scholarships go to school instate, live at home, work part time... 

...online classes. Tuition can be lower than $10k/yr. 

https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/online-schools/low-tuition

6 minutes ago, JimG said:

...online classes. Tuition can be lower than $10k/yr. 

https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/online-schools/low-tuition

An online degree is likely not going to be worth as much as one from a state university you attended in-person. There's the quality of the degree and institution to consider. And working a full-time job when going to school is no walk in the park. Do some minority of people do it? Sure. But I'd like to see some grades comparisons, and career outcomes.

There's been tremendous inflation in the last 20 years in tuition.

8 minutes ago, JimG said:

U funny. Ever applied for a job with a degree from a "non state university"?

"Highly rated" would be better there. There's a reason why hs students try hard to get into top universities. Not all degrees are created equal, in the eyes of the market.

7 minutes ago, JimG said:

I know young people right now going to school and working. Some businesses will help with tuition, and some even will help with grad school depending on the career field. 

40 hour weeks they're working? Logically speaking, that can only detract from academic performance. A part-time job is fine.