SwampFox

2nd Amendment Sanctuary Counties in VA

With an incoming legislature Hell bent on restricting and infringing on citizen's constitutional rights, guaranteed under the 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments. 24 counties in Virginia have voted to declare themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries. Many more are considering doing this as well.

http://gunrightswatch.com/news/2019/11/24/virginia/virginia-has-become-an-overnight-tidal-wave-of-second-amendment-sanctuaries/?fbclid=IwAR2WvOjs1Sa4iIq01FCH1eG4pPSI9bHZU_CZggvbQ5eio7pUgVRrXkv0UmY#.Xdu1SUZY22p.facebook

12 minutes ago, MFB said:

Holy shit stop the freaking presses! I nominate this for the dumbest post of the year...maybe decade

Do you know that they haven't helped?  I realize you're desperate for some kind of win to take back to school with you tomorrow but this isn't it.  And stop worrying, your record is safe.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, carolina_corpsman said:

AWB, red flag laws, "enhanced background checks". The classic liberal trifecta of gov. overreach.

So I looked it up because I was curious 

• Requiring background checks on all gun sales and transactions: The bill would mandate anyone who sells, rents, trades or transfers a firearm must do a background check on the receiver of the gun before the sale or transfer is complete. As it stands, gun shops and federally licensed dealers selling at gun shows must perform such checks, but sales that take between two citizens — at a gun show or elsewhere — are exempt.
  • Banning “dangerous” weapons and accessories: That includes what gun control advocates call assault weapons, along with high-capacity magazines, bump stocks and silencers, like the one used in the Virginia Beach mass shooting. Northam hasn’t defined what “dangerous” or “assault” weapons he wants to ban.
  • Limiting handgun sales to one a month: A similar law was on the books from 1993 to 2012. Buying more than one handgun in 30 days would come with up to a 12-month jail sentence and a maximum fine of $2,500. Those wanting to buy more than one in a month would have to apply for it through the State Police and undergo an enhanced background check.
  • Requiring lost or stolen firearms to be reported to police within 24 hours: The punishment for not reporting, according to Sen. Jennifer McClellan’s bill, would be up to a $250 fine.
  • Allowing Extreme Risk Protection Orders (“red flag” law): The bill would allow law enforcement and the courts to temporarily take someone’s firearms if they are deemed a threat to themselves or others. Several states have passed varying versions of red flag laws.
  • Barring people under final protective orders from having guns: Right now, the law only says people who are under final protective orders of family abuse cannot have firearms.
  • Making it illegal to ”recklessly” leave loaded, unsecured firearms around children under 18: The bill would raise the age from 14 to 18 and raise the punishment from a Class 3 misdemeanor, which comes with a $500 maximum fine, to a Class 6 felony, which comes with a punishment of 1-5 years in jail and a maxim $2,500 fine, for adults who “recklessly” allow kids to be around loaded, unsecured guns in such a way that might endanger the child’s life.
  • Letting localities regulate whether guns are allowed in government buildings: Virginia has a law that says cities and counties can’t make their own rules when it comes to allowing guns in government buildings. One Republican lawmaker filed a bill this year that would allow localities to ban firearms if they had security provisions in place, such as security guards or metal detectors. Del. Cia Price, D-Newport News, filed a bill that says localities may regulate guns.

The 2nd one obviously seems like a bunch of grey are to me. I don't support banning things per se but don't have a problem with requiring additional steps for certain items either.

The 3rd one doesn't really make any sense to me at all. 

None of the rest of these seem very extreme to me at all though

1 hour ago, MFB said:

So I looked it up because I was curious 

The 2nd one obviously seems like a bunch of grey are to me. I don't support banning things per se but don't have a problem with requiring additional steps for certain items either.

The 3rd one doesn't really make any sense to me at all. 

None of the rest of these seem very extreme to me at all though

Red flag laws trample all over due process.

I have no problem with requiring reporting, although I doubt many people intentionally do not report stolen guns so I'm not really sure what the point it, and I do not support redundant regulations or laws. Personally, I know I would report it, hard to file a claim if you don't have a police report. 

The only two that make sense are the 6th and 8th (unless they plan to give civilians access to NICS, which I have been saying should happen). That's not a very good percentage. 

1 minute ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Red flag laws trample all over due process.

I have no problem with requiring reporting, although I doubt many people intentionally do not report stolen guns so I'm not really sure what the point it, and I do not support redundant regulations or laws. Personally, I know I would report it, hard to file a claim if you don't have a police report. 

The only two that make sense are the 6th and 8th (unless they plan to give civilians access to NICS, which I have been saying should happen). That's not a very good percentage. 

So I think one of the biggest areas red flag laws would help would be domestic violence and suicides, which are 2 of the largest causes of gun deaths in our country. I think that relying on family members to be notified when someone may be a danger to themselves or others could be a valuable resource in reducing those numbers. Of course I think it should be done in a way that is constitutionally legal and fair. I think it is something that shouldn't just be dismissed and should be looked into to try and come up with a legal way to implement 

Just now, MFB said:

So I think one of the biggest areas red flag laws would help would be domestic violence and suicides, which are 2 of the largest causes of gun deaths in our country. I think that relying on family members to be notified when someone may be a danger to themselves or others could be a valuable resource in reducing those numbers. Of course I think it should be done in a way that is constitutionally legal and fair. I think it is something that shouldn't just be dismissed and should be looked into to try and come up with a legal way to implement 

That is a fair stance, I just don't know how you can take someone's property without them having their day in court. In SC, if they are involuntarily committed to a mental institution the police can take their weapons (that was last I have checked and it was with the VA so not sure on all of the details). This makes sense to me, this means a psychologist and a judge have deemed you a threat to yourself and/or others and must be held in a mental facility. Once admitted and stabilized they have a chance to be represented by a lawyer and appeal the decision. 

IMO There has to be a pretty high standard of showing cause before you can just seize people's property without them having a day in court to defend themselves (unless your name is Bloomberg) and there has to be a reasonable and efficient manner of recourse for the accused. I just don't like the idea of red flag laws and could see them being used to target certain demographics fairly easily.  Now if they were a 24-48 hour hold on weapons or a way citizens could voluntarily surrender firearms for a few days while they worked through things with not fear of it being used against them in the future, that might be something worth discussing.  

1 minute ago, carolina_corpsman said:

That is a fair stance, I just don't know how you can take someone's property without them having their day in court. In SC, if they are involuntarily committed to a mental institution the police can take their weapons (that was last I have checked and it was with the VA so not sure on all of the details). This makes sense to me, this means a psychologist and a judge have deemed you a threat to yourself and/or others and must be held in a mental facility. Once admitted and stabilized they have a chance to be represented by a lawyer and appeal the decision. 

IMO There has to be a pretty high standard of showing cause before you can just seize people's property without them having a day in court to defend themselves (unless your name is Bloomberg) and there has to be a reasonable and efficient manner of recourse for the accused. I just don't like the idea of red flag laws and could see them being used to target certain demographics fairly easily.  Now if they were a 24-48 hour hold on weapons or a way citizens could voluntarily surrender firearms for a few days while they worked through things with not fear of it being used against them in the future, that might be something worth discussing.  

Yea I am talking about a last line of defense to prevent someone who is obviously in a very bad place. Like text messages or phone calls threatening to hurt themselves or others etc... I think there would be different levels to it and it is obviously a very complex issue, which is why I said it would be nice to see nonpartisan support for things like that so they could have as many differing viewpoints working together to make sure they are done to protect all involved, especially the gun owners