Sign in to follow this  
TheKOB

UN Study on 100k kids in Immigration-Related Custody

A study by the UN on children in detention in the US was issued.  Reuters and other news orgs picked it up and reported on it.  Then, less than a day later, they deleted the story.

Why?

Because it was from 2015. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-rights-child-idUSKBN1XS1PC

6 minutes ago, TheKOB said:

Senior politics reporter for HuffPo initially thought it was a big deal....

but now, not so much.  Weird.

BTW, here's that same senior politics reporter for Huffpo pretending that Obama's only scandal was a tan suit.

Apparently 100,000 kids in custody due to immigration isn't a scandal though. 

there are multiple impressive immigrants testifying in trump's impeachment hearings!

-last week, Ambassador Marie Yovanovich, emigrated from Canada at age 18

- monday, Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, emigrated from Ukraine/Soviet Union at age 3.

-wednesday Ambassador Gordon Sondland, he's a 1st gen. His parents fled from the Nazis in Europe

-today, Dr. Fiona Hill, she emigrated from the UK as an adult 

So apparently the guy who got this stirred up is just an idiot 

The author of a sweeping new U.N. study on the detaining and jailing of children worldwide acknowledges that he erred in saying the U.S. is holding more than 100,000 children in migration-related detention. The author, human rights lawyer Manfred Nowak, says he wasn't aware at the time that the number was from 2015. He adds that it reflected the number of children detained during the entire year.

This is what happens when you see something and just repeat it without doing any research....reminds me of every thread mbgcock has ever started 

21 minutes ago, MFB said:

This is what happens when you see something and just repeat it without doing any research....reminds me of every thread mbgcock has ever started 

There is a difference between a news outlet doing that and some person on a message board that 4 people read, just my $0.02

3 hours ago, MFB said:

The point is that it was repeated ad nauseum via numerous news services.  Then, when it came out that it was in 2015, it was deleted.  Not corrected.  Deleted.

Why do you think that is? 

20 minutes ago, TheKOB said:

The point is that it was repeated ad nauseum via numerous news services.  Then, when it came out that it was in 2015, it was deleted.  Not corrected.  Deleted.

Why do you think that is? 

Not sure, the NPR article I read was a correction/explanation. Like I said it was an outdated number that was taken out of context so I am not sure what its relevance is currently 

17 hours ago, MFB said:

Not sure, the NPR article I read was a correction/explanation. Like I said it was an outdated number that was taken out of context so I am not sure what its relevance is currently 

It was a big deal when they thought it was happening now.  Not a big deal when it was revealed it happened in 2015. 

5 minutes ago, TheKOB said:

It was a big deal when they thought it was happening now.  Not a big deal when it was revealed it happened in 2015. 

The issue is that many at any one time would be a big deal, but that wasn't the case. It was for the entire year. For reference I read it was @ 70k for 2019. That part taken out of context changes the dynamic of it completely. 

On 11/21/2019 at 11:05 AM, Tastylicks said:

there are multiple impressive immigrants testifying in trump's impeachment hearings!

-last week, Ambassador Marie Yovanovich, emigrated from Canada at age 18

- monday, Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, emigrated from Ukraine/Soviet Union at age 3.

-wednesday Ambassador Gordon Sondland, he's a 1st gen. His parents fled from the Nazis in Europe

-today, Dr. Fiona Hill, she emigrated from the UK as an adult 

The issue isn't immigration, the issue is ILLEGAL aliens entering the country. 

• High Five 1