Sign in to follow this  
ConwayGamecock

***WBB Appalachian State vs #6/#10 South Carolina Game Thread

Official Game Thread - #6 / #10 South Carolina Gamecocks versus Appalachian State Mountaineers

The game is broadcast on SECN+

Radio is 107.5 The Game

Live stats on Statbroadcast

Gamecocks have jumped out to a 19-0 lead to start the game.....

53-9 Gamecock lead at the half. App State has taken 29 shots, which is a decent amount for a half of BB, but they've only made 3 of them. They are shooting 10% for the half compared to USC shooting 54%. Gamecocks out-rebounding the smaller Mountaineers 29-14, but that's helped a lot by all the missed shots from App St.....

App State in many ways out-played the Gamecocks in the 2nd half, which isn't good. They out-scored us 41-39, and out-rebounded us 23-13. We had more fouls and more turnovers than they did. But thanks to that dominant first half, six Gamecocks score in double digits, and South Carolina secures the win 92-50, to improve to 4-0 on the season.

Kiki Herbert-Harrigan led the way with 21 points, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 steals. Destanni Henderson scored 16 points, with 3 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Aliyah Boston had a double-double with 14 pts and 10 boards, with 4 blocks, 3 assists, and 2 steals. Ty Harris added 11 pts and 4 assists, Brea Beal had 10 pts, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 blocks, and Victaria Saxton had 10 pts, 6 boards, 4 blocks, and 2 steals.

The Gamecocks return to Colonial Life Arena next this Thursday, to take on South Carolina Upstate.....

2 hours ago, ConwayGamecock said:

App State in many ways out-played the Gamecocks in the 2nd half, which isn't good.

In the second half, I hope it was mostly just our bench getting in playing time. But with a 40+ point lead, the players tend to take it easy. No need for anyone to get hurt.

We are seeing a lot of good ball from these girls. Hope I can find some way to attend several of the home games. Tried talking my wife into a trip to St. Thomas for that tourney during Thanksgiving but she thinks dinner with the family is more important. I was like gee, I offer a trip to the Virgin Islands and she turns it down because I might spend a couple hours a day at a game. Looks like the Dec. 15th Purdue game will be my 1st I can make it to.

13 hours ago, AikenGameFan said:

In the second half, I hope it was mostly just our bench getting in playing time. But with a 40+ point lead, the players tend to take it easy. No need for anyone to get hurt.

We are seeing a lot of good ball from these girls. Hope I can find some way to attend several of the home games. Tried talking my wife into a trip to St. Thomas for that tourney during Thanksgiving but she thinks dinner with the family is more important. I was like gee, I offer a trip to the Virgin Islands and she turns it down because I might spend a couple hours a day at a game. Looks like the Dec. 15th Purdue game will be my 1st I can make it to.

If memory serves me correctly, it was a mix of starters and backups in the third and then in the fourth it was almost all backups and/or Dawn experimenting with starters in odd positions (mostly with Kiki and Lele defending their guards).

Some credit in the third goes to App State. They had a player, Polacek, who was shooting lights out. She would be perfectly defended and hit nothing but net.

15 hours ago, evantually said:

She was with Team Canada at the FIBA Women's Olympic Pre-Qualifying Americas Tournament in Edmonton. She'll be back with the team sometime this week. 

Ahh, OK thanks! That makes perfect sense......