carolina_corpsman

School Shooting in Cali

Looks like there was a shooting this morning. According to reports there were at least 5 hurt, 2 critical. As of yet I have not seen any reported deaths thankfully. Sounds like they have said the suspect is no longer a threat, not sure if they "ended" the threat or took him into custody. 

We really need to look into how we can address mental health in this country, especially in school aged kids. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-11-14/shooting-reported-at-saugus-high-school-in-santa-clarita-police-searching-for-teen-suspect

The shooting came two months after six students at the high school were detained on felony criminal charges after authorities were alerted to threats the teenagers had made online. A Hart Union staff member discovered the social media posts “regarding committing acts of school violence” and alerted authorities, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

crazy

3 minutes ago, MFB said:

crazy

It is. I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about software that tracks kids on school issued devices and picks up and identifies warning signs and notifies the school 24/7. While It seems like a bit of a overreach and breach of privacy, it is a school issued computer so they can do what they want. Maybe we need more programs like that? Not saying it would have or would not have prevented this from happening. 

8 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

It is. I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about software that tracks kids on school issued devices and picks up and identifies warning signs and notifies the school 24/7. While It seems like a bit of a overreach and breach of privacy, it is a school issued computer so they can do what they want. Maybe we need more programs like that? Not saying it would have or would not have prevented this from happening. 

Yea I don't have a problem with it on school grounds and school property/equipment

Just now, Spur's Addiction said:

There are a ton of options that have been proposed. But all we ever get are thoughts and prayers.

Seems a bit premature, we don't know how he got the gun, he was too young to buy it legally so all the backgrounds checks and gun controls in the world would have been useless. The question is, did he steal it? Buy it illegally? Maybe wait for facts before politicizing it. 

19 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Seems a bit premature, we don't know how he got the gun, he was too young to buy it legally so all the backgrounds checks and gun controls in the world would have been useless. The question is, did he steal it? Buy it illegally? Maybe wait for facts before politicizing it. 

So I'll mark you down as we should try nothing...  

39 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

Haha...from the guy who posted in it a political forum. 

3 minutes ago, carolina_corpsman said:

It's the solution. People don't just shoot up schools or buildings or offices for fun, they do it because they have mental issues. 

Same could be said that people don't shoot up schools or offices without access to guns. 

Just now, Spur's Addiction said:

Same could be said that people don't shoot up schools or offices without access to guns. 

Nope, but they can blow them up or run them over, or stab them etc. Again, the problem is the homicidal actions not the tools used to carry them out. This is a mental health problem first and foremost. Why are kids/Americans in general so angry that they think somehow getting a gun and killing people is going to help their situation? Answer that, and you will dramatically reduce the number of mass shootings. 

As for access to guns, lets see how he got the gun before we go down that road. Apparently he is 15 years old, not old enough to purchase any firearm legally so it was either stolen or illegally purchased. I'm not sure what new laws could prevent theft or black market purchases. 

Speaking of school shootings, and prevention, the Townville Elementary shooter was sentenced to life without parole. In his hearing prosecutors showed documents showing he was a member of a group of sicko's who debated and encouraged school shootings. Contrary to popular opinion, they did select their school because it was a gun free zone, he chose an elementary school because they have no armed SRO's. Food for thought.  

https://www.live5news.com/2019/11/14/sc-school-shooter-sentenced-life-prison/?fbclid=IwAR3IFWB27yPm_1HWosUJRCY8DRGK_4idIJwDhBKXRNbQCROp5wCse-CboVI

4 hours ago, carolina_corpsman said:

You agree to and sign off on this every year in our school system. While at school certain word, phrases, websites, etc are flagged/reported. I have zero issue with it. You don't have 'privacy' in a public school using that's school internet connection and/or equipment. 

I live in a small town on an island with next to zero serious crime issues where everyone knows everyone and there have been multiple wildly troubling situations in both the middle and high school where someone saying something very well could have saved lives. 

I tell you one thing that would cut down on these type of things...not eliminate but reduce for sure...make bullying a crime...physical, verbal or cyber...kids can be monsters...especially ones with insecurity issues...and parents who can't control their own kids need to have their kids taken care of for them. Tell every kid who enters that building and their parents that if they ever get caught bullying anyone they are not only suspended but they will be charged with a crime. Where anyone got the idea it is ever ok on any level or just 'kids being kids' is a fucking idiot who needs the adults in the room to tell them how things are going to work from this point forward. 

1 minute ago, LBC said:

You agree to and sign off on this every year in our school system. While at school certain word, phrases, websites, etc are flagged/reported. I have zero issue with it. You don't have 'privacy' in a public school using that's school internet connection and/or equipment. 

I live in a small town on an island with next to zero serious crime issues where everyone knows everyone and there have been multiple wildly troubling situations in both the middle and high school where someone saying something very well could have saved lives. 

I tell you one thing that would cut down on these type of things...not eliminate but reduce for sure...make bullying a crime...physical, verbal or cyber...kids can be monsters...especially ones with insecurity issues...and parents who can't control their own kids need to have their kids taken care of for them. Tell every kid who enters that building and their parents that if they ever get caught bullying anyone they are not only suspended but they will be charged with a crime. Where anyone got the idea it is ever ok on any level or just 'kids being kids' is a fucking idiot who needs the adults in the room to tell them how things are going to work from this point forward. 

As long as they are only tracking the school issued computers/tablets or who ever is the school wifi, and they are told about it ahead of time, I see no issues with it either. I did hear there were some glitches in some one of the companies programs and a lot of kids got flagged for posting song lyrics or in once case talking about "shooting" hoops. If I remember, there were a few programs available, one of which had an actual person looking at it to help negate the false hits, so I am sure they are improving it. 

I also agree with you about bullying. My generation was the last to not be so intertwined with the internet and while kids were bullied, they could go home and get away from it for the most part.  I certainly think parents need to start facing consequences of their children's actions, even more so if it leads to the bullied kid acting out violently or attempting/succeeding suicide.