Sign in to follow this  
carolina_corpsman

"conscience rule" is unconstitutional

I saw this last week and wondered what the PF thought of this decision. A Federal judge has ruled that healthcare workers may no longer opt out of performing a procedure that they disagree with on a religious level. To me, this seems like forcing a baker to make a cake.  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/11/06/776765601/judge-scraps-conscience-rule-protecting-doctors-who-deny-care-for-religious-reas 

Another question, if you can force Dr's  and nurses etc to act against their faith, why can't you force patients to receive care against their faith? 

I am not too familiar with this case. Wondering why someone would study and practice to be a healthcare provider in a certain field to then object to it. LIke why would someone against abortions (I'm presuming this is what this boils down to) go work for an abortion clinic?

Maybe I am missing something.

11 minutes ago, Spur's Addiction said:

I am not too familiar with this case. Wondering why someone would study and practice to be a healthcare provider in a certain field to then object to it. LIke why would someone against abortions (I'm presuming this is what this boils down to) go work for an abortion clinic?

Maybe I am missing something.

It's really any service from my understanding, abortions being one of them, assisted suicide, and sterilization could be covered as well. I think it's pretty rare that it happens because as you say, most people who would oppose them would not choose to work in those fields.  It brings up an interesting discussion imo. As long as they pass the case on to another provider, what is the harm? On the other hand, could they interpret a DNR as suicide and go against a patients wishes and preform resuscitation? 

If we are forcing medical staff to go against their will in the name of saving lives, why can't we force people to take blood transfusions etc? 

I don't really have an opinion on it either way yet. 

5 minutes ago, MFB said:

Well I mean if it is a part of the job description that you sign on for I would think they could fire you if you refused, but no I guess technically they couldn't "force" you 

Abortion were not mention in my job description. I don't anticipate being asked to be involved with one, but it was not listed as a "duty" FWIW.

2 minutes ago, MFB said:

I figured that was what OB was referring to, isn't the emergency room ER though? I'm not too hip on my medical lingo fyi

Eh, usually it's the ED, "emergency Dept." 

Check out the edit I made to my response if you really want to make your head spin. 

1 hour ago, MFB said:

Well I mean if it is a part of the job description that you sign on for I would think they could fire you if you refused, but no I guess technically they couldn't "force" you 

I've never worked in a job where everything my employer asked me to do was listed in the job description. 

I wonder if this'll be appealed.  

3 minutes ago, TheKOB said:

I've never worked in a job where everything my employer asked me to do was listed in the job description. 

I wonder if this'll be appealed.  

Well maybe not everything they asked you to do but services offered I would think so. We all know what your last boss asked you to do and how you got that promotion lol

1 minute ago, MFB said:

Well maybe not everything they asked you to do but services offered I would think so. We all know what your last boss asked you to do and how you got that promotion lol

LOL, at this point the list of things I'd do for a promotion is longer than the list of things I wouldn't do!