Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

What Are The Top Five Greatest Wins Over The Georgia Bulldogs?

OCTOBER 8, 2019 by CHRIS  THESPURSUPSHOW

What Are The Top Five Greatest Wins Over The Georgia Bulldogs?

In the spirit of Georgia week, let’s take a look back at some of the most memorable wins South Carolina has secured on the gridiron over the Dawgs.

Vince Dooley led the Dawgs into Williams-Brice Stadium for a Top 15 match-up.

The Gamecocks, led by legendary head coach Joe Morrison, pulled the massive upset in front of a packed house in Columbia, SC.

Carolina wide receiver Robert Brooks had one of the more memorable plays of the game and of this rivalry,  a one handed touchdown catch that started the scoring for USC.

The Gamecocks never looked back and the route was on in Columbia for a huge early season win.

4. 2011 (#12 USC 45, UGA 42)

The 2011 edition of the USC-UGA game provided plenty of fireworks.

The 87 points scored still remains as the most points combined scored between the two schools in the series history.

The win gave South Carolina back to back wins in the series for the first time since the 2000-2001 seasons and just the sixth time all time in the series.

While the offense was explosive, it was the South Carolina special teams and defense that truly left it’s mark on this ballgame.

Melvin Ingram became a star, scoring on a touchdown on a memorable 61 yard fake punt, as well as a scoop and score later in the game to seal the victory.

This game also served to be Jadeveon Clowney’s coming out party, as he tossed UGA QB Aaron Murray aside like a rag doll on Ingram’s fumble return for a touchdown.

3. 2000 (USC 21, #9 UGA 10)

South Carolina was picked to finish dead last in the SEC East heading into the 2000 season, and for good reason.

The Gamecocks were coming off a 1-21 1998 and 1999, including 21 straight overall losses.

The streak ended the week prior against New Mexico State and the goal posts would soon be torn down again on this day.

Carolina fans light up when they hear the name “Quincy Carter”, a UGA quarterback who had his Heisman hopes dashed in Columbia.

The USC defense picked him off five times en route to pulling off the huge upset and sending shockwaves through the college football world.

2. 1993 (USC 23, UGA 21)

Simply known as “Bennett Over The Top”, there simply isn’t a sweeter sound than hearing the legendary Larry Munson begging the Dawgs to “lay down you guys, lay down”.

Gamecocks running back Brandon Bennett was stuffed on the one yard line with under :20 seconds remaining, the clock ticking and no timeouts.

As cited on the podcast a few weeks back by Bennett himself, Taneyhill immediately shouted “SAME PLAY, SAME PLAY!”, hurrying Carolina up to the line.

The rest was up to Bennett and became forever engraved in Gamecocks history as one of the singular most spectacular individual plays by a USC running back.

1. 2012 (#6 USC 35, #5 UGA 7)

I’m not sure words can describe just how magical of a night it was at Williams-Brice when the Dawgs came to town in 2012.

College Gameday. The highest ranked match-up between the two teams. An outstanding quarterback. A ferocious defense.

The 2012 game had the makings of one of the true classics in this series. However, it turned into arguably the greatest night in USC history for other reasons.

The Gamecocks pounded the Dawgs from the start, taking an early 14-0 lead.

Then, Ace Sanders happened.

Still regarded by most as the loudest moment in Williams-Brice history, Ace took the punt 70 yards for the touchdown to give USC a 21-0 first quarter lead and shock the Georgia faithful who made the trip.

For a single night, the college football universe centered on Columbia, SC and the Gamecocks showed themselves as the best team in the entire nation.

2001 was pretty memorable too. Went to Athens with them wanting some revenge for the 2000 game. They kicked a FG to go up 9-7 with about 3 minutes to go. Phil Petty led a great drive, capped off with a TD pass with about 1:30 to go. We escaped with a 14-9 win as we intercepted a Georgia pass to seal it. I remember watching that game with some friends when I was living in the Honeycombs. Went out on the balcony to have a cigarette right after the game and you could hear all the whoops and yelling across campus.

Bennett over the top by far my favorite.  I just remember wanting to beat them so bad that year.  More than usual for some reason.  Munson’s play by play call on that last play is an absolute classic.  I still get chills when I hear “lay down you guys, lay down!”  They couldn’t lay down long enough, we got one more play and the rest is history.

On another note, the most heartbreaking loss was the Andrew Pinnock fumble on a pitch for a near walk-in touchdown to beat the Dawgs.  I don’t remember the year, I was at a bar in Chicago and had half the place pulling for the Cocks.  Dudes that didn’t know a thing about USC were absolutely beside themselves.  We couldn’t believe how cruel the football gods were that day.  On a brighter note they felt so bad for me I didnt pay for another beer the rest oft he night. 

3 hours ago, zcoop said:

Has to be 2000 for me. Quincy was a thorn in my HS team's side since his days at SW DeKalb and my college team beat him soundly. Haven't talked to him in a few years but that loss really hurt him. He was a good kid though.

That loss ended his Heisman hopes and it was early in the season.  I always felt bad for him because he seemed like a great kid, but he just couldn’t stop throwing it to us.  

9 hours ago, Mr Ed said:

Bennett over the top by far my favorite.  I just remember wanting to beat them so bad that year.  More than usual for some reason.  Munson’s play by play call on that last play is an absolute classic.  I still get chills when I hear “lay down you guys, lay down!”  They couldn’t lay down long enough, we got one more play and the rest is history.

On another note, the most heartbreaking loss was the Andrew Pinnock fumble on a pitch for a near walk-in touchdown to beat the Dawgs.  I don’t remember the year, I was at a bar in Chicago and had half the place pulling for the Cocks.  Dudes that didn’t know a thing about USC were absolutely beside themselves.  We couldn’t believe how cruel the football gods were that day.  On a brighter note they felt so bad for me I didnt pay for another beer the rest oft he night. 

Was in 2002 when we lost that heartbreaker. You could feel the excitement in the stands as we were driving, then you could collectively feel everyone's heart getting ripped out on the fumble.

That was also the game with the infamous David Pollack interception in the end zone. 

I'd replace one of those with the 1984 game we won 17-10 against the #12 Bulldogs. They were coming off a win over #2 Clemson between the hedges and we had looked pretty average up to that point in barely squeaking past The Citadel in Week 1 and shutting out a very bad Duke team in Week 2. This game was the trigger for the Black Magic season. To this day, that game contains one of the best defensive performances and best hits I've seen by a Gamecock player, both delivered by James Seawright. As I recall, the hit was on a third and one play where he met UGA's RB (fairly sure it was Lars Tate) in a center gap and drove him back... could hear the impact all over the stadium despite the crowd noise.  

15 hours ago, Mr Ed said:

That was 2002 and the first SEC game I'd ever attended.  I was right there in the end zone I couldn't believe it.  Pollack had his play that game too.

6 minutes ago, tkousc said:

That was 2002 and the first SEC game I'd ever attended.  I was right there in the end zone I couldn't believe it.  Pollack had his play that game too.

We weren't too far from each other. I was sitting (standing) in that part of the student section that was around the 10 or 15 yard line. So the play was really right in front of me when it happened. I still say Pinnock was not expecting that ball to come to him.