Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

Gamecocks coach Frank Martin was at Ridge View today

Uhhhh...

On 9/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, Longhaul said:

I hope this year it all comes together for Frank and makes the recruiting side come alive.  

Uhhhhh....we currently do not have any open scholarships, so Benson is basically being recruited in case a scholarship opens up (which it probably will). Otherwise, recruiting is over for this year.

Uhhh was not referring to this year’s class, just meant in general.  I am excited about what he is doing and I think  a successful year and the young talent on this team could make recruiting, especially the top prospects in our own backyard a little more interested in staying home.

Gotcha. But......

If you look at the last two recruiting classes, we brought in nine HS players, not counting two transfers and two grad transfers. We have a tenth commit for 2020, with an 11th and 12th scholarship being taken up by Bolden and Seventh Woods.

In other words, we have a young and really talented team, primarily made up of Freshmen and Sophomores, with little room for the next couple of years. Even if Frank recruits well, the performance of the team for the next two seasons largely rests with the players that we have on the roster now.

You are looking at the future of our recruiting by espousing the sentiment contained in the title of an immortal classic movie - "Bring It On." My response is the same as in the movie: "Oh, it's already been brought"!!.

I agree, was just merely saying that what we have now can set us up for winning more recruiting battles in the future and certainly if some of these guys are as good as we think they can be will make try and make the jump like many feel that Lawson will if he has a good season.  

I am with you. But i just want us to get talented players that can help - I do not want to get a less talented in-state player at the expense of a better OOS player, just to say that we are recruiting in-state talent. And I think that we will have a solid group this year.

Anyway, we will have three in-staters on the roster next year, four if you count McCreary who played his Senior year in South Carolina. Which is not that far off from the football team in terms of in-state player percentage - even though basketball players are less territorial and tend to go out of state more often than football players.