denny6483

Bama fan with questions.

Making my first trip to Columbia this weekend. Planning to rent a car. Can anyone give any tips on parking? Also, any recs on must do or must see things downtown or around the stadium on game day? 

Thanks for any help! Really looking forward to making the trip and seeing a new stadium. 

Glad you are coming, are you wanting to tailgate or just a place to park? There is parking all around the stadium, generally, the closer to the stadium you get, the more it costs. There is also remote parking at some of the student lots on campus with a shuttle service. Parking will get full pretty quick but shouldn't be too much trouble. 

Thank you! I will be solo and meeting some Carolina friends so really just need a spot to park. Don’t intend to set up a tailgate. 

I hate that we only travel to opponents in the other division every 10+ years now. Looking forward to seeing your campus and a good game. 

9 minutes ago, denny6483 said:

Thank you! I will be solo and meeting some Carolina friends so really just need a spot to park. Don’t intend to set up a tailgate. 

I hate that we only travel to opponents in the other division every 10+ years now. Looking forward to seeing your campus and a good game. 

The stadium is not really on campus, but it's only a few minutes drive away, if you want to check it out, the horseshoe is the place to go. Do you know where your friends will be tailgating? Your best bet is driving towards the area they are going to be in and then grabbing the first spot you see, a few blocks out should be about $20. I tailgated next to a bunch of bama fans in 2010 and had a great time with them, and even more fun after the game.

Their tailgate is somewhere on Key Road (I’m sure this is probably a vague description). I will do what you said and drive toward where they are and park the first place I see. 

Good to hear about your experience in 2010. We certainly took a beating that day. But win or lose most Bama fans are pretty nice at least on the road. 

This will be our biggest game so far.

People will sometimes tailgate with a TV and a power inverter or a generator, but not actually go inside the stadium to watch the game.

You don't want to wait until the last minute to go because there will be heavy traffic.

I would say get to your tailgate party no later than two hours prior to kick-off.

Ask them to pinpoint where on Key Rd they are so you can find your way from where I’m recommending. There is a road on the right off of Bluff Rd (where you will come in if you come from the south) called Eden St. There is a big sign that says Lee Equipment, make that right and pull down as far as you can. Should be 20 bucks to park and you can get to Key easily. Also very easy to exit from there. Enjoy the game.

2 hours ago, Gamecock Rob said:

Ask them to pinpoint where on Key Rd they are so you can find your way from where I’m recommending. There is a road on the right off of Bluff Rd (where you will come in if you come from the south) called Eden St. There is a big sign that says Lee Equipment, make that right and pull down as far as you can. Should be 20 bucks to park and you can get to Key easily. Also very easy to exit from there. Enjoy the game.

Awesome. Thanks very much for the tip!

On 9/10/2019 at 1:06 PM, denny6483 said:

Although I can't say I would enjoy us playing Alabama more often, I would like to see SEC West opponents cycle through the schedule more quickly as well.

That said, I WOULD like to play Ole Miss a lot more.  Especially right now.

I think a 9-game conference schedule would be the only answer to this, but SEC AD's just aren't going to go for that.

1 hour ago, ShepCock said:

Although I can't say I would enjoy us playing Alabama more often, I would like to see SEC West opponents cycle through the schedule more quickly as well.

That said, I WOULD like to play Ole Miss a lot more.  Especially right now.

I think a 9-game conference schedule would be the only answer to this, but SEC AD's just aren't going to go for that.

Ole Miss and also what about Arkansas? ever since we switch cross division rivals they have been a dumpster fire and easy win for most other teams in the SEC ..

On 9/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, Gamecocks1137 said:

Ole Miss and also what about Arkansas? ever since we switch cross division rivals they have been a dumpster fire and easy win for most other teams in the SEC ..

If you do the math, with a 9-game schedule you see the teams from the West exactly twice as often (every 3 years instead of 6).

So yeah, Arkansas too.

No brainer on 9 league games. Get rid of the permanent opponent - not fair if you draw Alabama, like UT does - and play the West teams two on and two off, home and away.

With Clemson as a 10th game, we would need an FCS and a low level FBS team to fil out the schedule.

7 minutes ago, Ace Dilcock said:

No brainer on 9 league games. Get rid of the permanent opponent - not fair if you draw Alabama, like UT does - and play the West teams two on and two off, home and away.

Like the permanent West opponent, HATE that it's Texas A&M.  It makes no sense.

Switch it back to Arkansas, and I'm good.

With Clemson as a 10th game, we would need an FCS and a low level FBS team to fil out the schedule.

Just get rid of divisions. One big league with the top 2 playing for the championship at the end.

3 games to permanent opponents.

10 teams left with 5 games. Rotate so you play each team every other year.