Gamecock Fanatics

COUNTDOWN TO KICK-OFF "2019" GAMECOCK FOOTBALL

post-2-0-09566000-1521979948.pngSouth Carolina Gamecocks vs. North Carolina Tarheels NC_38x38.png

Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

Here Are The Top Candidates To Replace Deebo Samuel As The Gamecocks Go-To Playmaker In 2019

JULY 1, 2019  by CHRIS | THE SPURS UP SHOW

Here Are The Top Candidates To Replace Deebo Samuel As The Gamecocks Go-To Playmaker In 2019

62 catches. 882 yards. 11 touchdown receptions. One KOR for a touchdown. One fumble recovery for a touchdown.

That is what South Carolina will look to replace when it takes the field in 2019.

Arguably one of the biggest question marks in my mind heading into this fall, who (if anyone) on the Gamecocks roster can replace the playmaking ability Samuel possessed?

With Deebo’s departure, a new name will need to emerge to assure a productive year for the USC offense and team as a whole.

So, who are the top candidates that could fill in the shoes of the departed NFL Draft pick and current San Francisco 49er?

Candidates

WR Bryan Edwards

Edwards should take over as Jake Bentley’s number one target in 2019 and looks to break a few records doing so.

The senior needs just 8 touchdown receptions, 814 yards receiving and just 45 receptions to set the all-time records for each respectively.

Bryan is another great big bodied wide receiver, showing the ability throughout his career to go up and over defenders and make tough catches.

However, he enters 2019 for the first time ever as the Gamecocks true #1 target out wide.

With Samuel’s departure, Edwards could be set up for a monster year in garnet and black.

WR Shi Smith

As far as style of play, Smith probably relates to Deebo more than anyone else I’ll mention on this list.

Shi has shown a true playmaking type ability during his time in Columbia, amassing over 1,000 yards receiving and seven touchdowns during his first two seasons.

It could be argued that Smith has been the most underrated and arguably underused member of the receivers corps since he arrived on campus.

While there have been flashes, does Smith have what it takes to step into a new role as the go-to guy for USC?

TE Kiel Pollard

You might be asking yourself: how can a guy who has just 17 career receptions be on this list?

While it’s unlikely Pollard could TOTALLY carry the load for this USC offense, he showed flashes a year ago just truly how explosive he could be.

Kiel hauled in his first two touchdown catches of his career a season ago and should get many more reps with the departures of both Jacob August and K.C. Crosby.

Watching Pollard in the spring game, it’s clear to me that South Carolina absolutely needs to find a way to get the ball in his hands as much as possible this season.

RB Rico Dowdle

For all the grief I’ve given the South Carolina running backs group this off-season, Rico Dowdle deserves to be at least included on this list.

The question is simply this: can Dowdle stay healthy and return to his freshman year form?

He was outstanding in 2016 for Carolina, leading the team with 764 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns in just nine games played.

Consistency has been his biggest issue, which has in turn led to a very inconsistent rushing attack for USC.

Could this be the year Rico finally breaks through and turns into the gamebreaking type running back we all thought he could be as a freshman?

Verdict: WR Shi Smith

Shi Smith simply checks all the boxes when it comes to being a true “playmaker” in this Carolina offense.

As previously mentioned, he’s the most similar to Samuel in regards to his measurables: size, speed, agility, vision, etc.

Good things seemed to always happen a year ago when Smith got the ball in his hands and I expect more of the same this year.

I fully expect Bryan Edwards to hold every single South Carolina receiving record when 2019 concludes.

However, don’t be surprised if it’s Shi Smith we are talking about as the true go-to guy on this South Carolina offense and team.

• High Five 1

We should have plenty of options, Shi is probably A1a along with Edwards. Valentine and Urich may also be in the mix. I don't see how Urich does't see the field as some kind of receiver this year. I know it was only the Spring Game but he did show he can run some routes and has plenty of speed. He is a big kid that can go up and get balls so putting him an Edwards on the field at the same time could cause a lot of problems for secondaries. 

I think if you are looking at a guy that can take it to the house anytime he touches it that would be Shi.  I am not sure he has the strength that Deebo had, but does have the quick acceleration and speed.  I have been hoping to hear more on how Ortre is doing.  He is a great possession guy and can high point the ball very well with great hands.  I hope he can get healthy and get back on the field this year.  Good kid and plays hard.

• Like 1