Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

What is your favorite golf course you had the pleasure to tee off on? 

I'm not much of a golfer. In fact I've only ever played two courses. One is a little course on the outskirts of Hampton County called Penny Branch. The other was the course on Shipyard Plantation in Hilton Head. I worked security there in the late 90s, and the manager used to let us play for free. 

I played the Wicked Stick in MB years ago, when it was still there, and really enjoyed it.  I can drive pretty well, and being a John Daley course, it suited me well, but my short game sucks.

True story: at the Wicked Stick, one of the holes was 500 plus yards to the cup.  I teed off, hit the cart path, and my ball bounced down the path, and landed 20 feet from the green, and i still bogeyed it.  On a freaking par 5!

I love the course at Cheraw State Park. Hickory Knob is good too. Both are run (or were) by the state park service and they do/did a fantastic job. I haven't played either in several years, so my perspective is distant. But those are my favorites in state, especially for the cost. The views at both are worth the trip.

I also played Wicked Stick in MB years ago and it was excellent. Long Bay is pretty sweet, too, but pricey. 

Timberlake in Chapin has taken a downward turn as of late, but I hear Jimmy Koosa is involved there now, so I'd expect it to improve if he can make them invest in the place.

Cobblestone in Blythewood is one of the best in the Midlands.

Haven't golfed in a looooong time but I absolutely loved Lake Marion in Santee, as well as Linrick in Richland county. My home course was a small 9 hole entity in Lugoff, called Green Hill. It has been sold and sadly is not open any longer. I made my first birdie on their 3 hole #5... Good times.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:41 PM, FurmanCock said:

There used to be a really sweet Putt-Putt course on Wade Hampton in Greenville...

I spent a lot of time there in the 80's.  My sister in law used to work there, although I didn't know her then.  It's one of the many places my wife and I have traced that we were together in the same room, but never met until we were adults.

23 minutes ago, Cockyandproud said:

I spent a lot of time there in the 80's.  My sister in law used to work there, although I didn't know her then.  It's one of the many places my wife and I have traced that we were together in the same room, but never met until we were adults.

There also used to be down Wade Hampton, around Greer, a par 3 course that used to let you play as many rounds as you wanted for one price.  My friends and I used to play there all day on Saturdays during the summer.  Too bad it never translated into any skill.  But man, that was the life.  They had a Pepsi machine on the back porch that dispensed glass bottles.  As I remember it, on a hot day, there was nothing colder, nor better tasting than those drinks.

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the course.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cockyandproud said:

I like to play at Rolling Green in Easley.  It's nothing special, I just like it for some reason.

The first house my wife and I ever bought was in Liberty, and we joined the Pickens Country Club.  Not the best course in the world, but nothing but fond memories.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FurmanCock said:

There also used to be down Wade Hampton, around Greer, a par 3 course that used to let you play as many rounds as you wanted for one price.  My friends and I used to play there all day on Saturdays during the summer.  Too bad it never translated into any skill.  But man, that was the life.  They had a Pepsi machine on the back porch that dispensed glass bottles.  As I remember it, on a hot day, there was nothing colder, nor better tasting than those drinks.

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the course.

If I remember correctly, that course was where Bi-lo, Chick-fi-a, and Home Depot now are. I used to love playing there.  I messed  the ligaments in my left ankle up badly on that course. My buddy accidentally let go of his club on a swing, and it went into the really high grass in the back.  I climbed up on a pile of wood to see if I could see it from higher up, and when I jumped off, I landed on another piece of wood, and rolled my ankle severely.  I had to have a cast for 6 weeks.  

I had forgotten about that course until you mentioned it. I go down Wade Hampton in Greer at least once every day. I’m glad you reminded me of it. 

Good times. 

Best Course I have ever played was probably the Honors Course in Chattanooga or maybe Pinehurst #2. I  love the ocean course at Kiawah but it is way to penal to be my favorite.  Musgrove Mill in Clinton is also quite nice but it has some of the hardest green complexes I have ever played.  I am flying out to Monterrey next June to celebrate my best friends 40th birthday and we are going to play Pebble Beach.  While the layout of the golf course was ok, the nicest course I have ever played would be Sage Valley in Graniteville.  I have never been treated better than they treated us there...something that I will likely never experience again

I remember playing rolling green a few times while a student at Furman and I thought it was nice  Some time in the early 90's one of the golf pros there shot like a 55 or something obscene like that and he missed out on a national record b/c the course was a little too short.  

I worked at the Masters one year. Had a management position, a golf cart, and a black badge that gave me access to everything, even the club house. I walked the entire 18 on Tuesday after they finished practice. I would truly love the chance to play there. The roughs are nicer than most of the fairways I have played on.

I like Woodside Plantation in Aiken. It is private and probably the hardest one I ever tried. I actually shot a 68 my last time playing. I was so thrilled I didn't even play the back nine. 

On 9/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, STS said:

The nicest course I have ever played would be Sage Valley in Graniteville.  I have never been treated better than they treated us there...something that I will likely never experience again

I live 10 miles from there. The owner was so mad that he never got invited to be a member at Augusta National that he decided to build his own and try to make it nicer. It sure is close just missing the big tourney and the history. I never played there but did get to go see it once.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, STS said:

Best Course I have ever played was probably the Honors Course in Chattanooga or maybe Pinehurst #2. I  love the ocean course at Kiawah but it is way to penal to be my favorite.  Musgrove Mill in Clinton is also quite nice but it has some of the hardest green complexes I have ever played.  I am flying out to Monterrey next June to celebrate my best friends 40th birthday and we are going to play Pebble Beach.  While the layout of the golf course was ok, the nicest course I have ever played would be Sage Valley in Graniteville.  I have never been treated better than they treated us there...something that I will likely never experience again

I remember playing rolling green a few times while a student at Furman and I thought it was nice  Some time in the early 90's one of the golf pros there shot like a 55 or something obscene like that and he missed out on a national record b/c the course was a little too short.  

Have you ever played sweetens cove? Had some buddies make the trip up in May and they camped at the course. Played all day, said it was hot but a good time

22 hours ago, MFB said:

Have you ever played sweetens cove? Had some buddies make the trip up in May and they camped at the course. Played all day, said it was hot but a good time

I have not and I would like too...I have heard mixed reviews on the course but mainly just b/c it is so new.  No too far from there is Sewanee TN (University of the South) and the same people (Gil Hanse I think) who did Sweeten's Cove also re-did their 9 hole course and I heard it is pretty good too!  I have family in Chattanooga so I should get there some day!  There is another course way out the back of lookout moutain in Rising Fawn, GA called Canyon Ridge...that course has some of the best views in Tennessee...awesome track but kind of out of the way!

On 9/21/2019 at 5:39 AM, AikenGameFan said:

I worked at the Masters one year. Had a management position, a golf cart, and a black badge that gave me access to everything, even the club house. I walked the entire 18 on Tuesday after they finished practice. I would truly love the chance to play there. The roughs are nicer than most of the fairways I have played on.

I like Woodside Plantation in Aiken. It is private and probably the hardest one I ever tried. I actually shot a 68 my last time playing. I was so thrilled I didn't even play the back nine. 

I have played Woodside...I remember being blown away by one of the courses and the other was just ok...It was almost like day and night difference.  I played them during Master's week.  I would play there again in a heart beast...have you ever played the Palmetto?  

On 9/16/2019 at 4:46 PM, FurmanCock said:

If you have any time, take the drive south from Pebble on Hwy 1 to Big Sur.  Hwy 1 between Monterrey and Big Sur is my favorite drive.  I would seriously consider having my ashes scattered along that route...hopefully many years from now.

awesome stuff!  We have reservations to do the 17 mile drive on bikes with a guide...we have a free day and were going to go out and explore so I will definitely hit that stretch you are talking about.  We were also hoping to hit a vineyard or two lol

1 hour ago, STS said:

I have not and I would like too...I have heard mixed reviews on the course but mainly just b/c it is so new.  No too far from there is Sewanee TN (University of the South) and the same people (Gil Hanse I think) who did Sweeten's Cove also re-did their 9 hole course and I heard it is pretty good too!  I have family in Chattanooga so I should get there some day!  There is another course way out the back of lookout moutain in Rising Fawn, GA called Canyon Ridge...that course has some of the best views in Tennessee...awesome track but kind of out of the way!

Oh nice I'd like to check both of those out! Yea I believe Peyton Manning actually bought an ownership in SC and they are adding a driving range, chipping/putting green and some other amenities so I have a feeling it will be changing some

15 hours ago, STS said:

...have you ever played the Palmetto?  

Back when I played regular I wanted to but never found any one to give me a chance. I hear it is really nice. One day I would love a shot at Sage Valley too. Aiken is blessed with some really nice courses. They even got new owners at Aiken Golf Club downtown trying to make it a whole lot better for a public course. And Cedar Creek is a very nice public course. Houndslake and Midland Valley are still cow pasture golf.

I have worked the Masters Golf Tournament for about ten years with the CBS Camera Crews.  I have been just about everywhere you can go on the course/clubhouse/Butler Cabins and all the "behind the scene stuff that the public never gets to see".  I have seen so many amazing golf shots/putts/drives/fairway shots - that I knew after my first day on the job the real reason they called it "The Masters" as these golfers were the best of the best!!!  Over the years I got to meet some of my all time favorite golfers and of course at the "Masters" you don't speak to them - unless they speak to you first.  I had the pleasure of sitting on the log bench on the 12th tee box - with Mr. Arnold Palmer - who after seeing me and my working partner sitting down on the ground - look over at us and said; "you boys want to sit up here with me"? You know what our answer was.  That was Mr Arnold Palmer's last year as a competitive golfer.  Such a class act and great ambassador of golf around the world.  He was what Elvis Presley was to rock & roll - as Mr. Arnold Palmer did not invent or start the game of golf - but he was the first one to put it on the map world wide and became a household legend for doing it. 

I never got to play the Augusta National as we were paid by CBS and therefore were not invited to play like so many of the people that work there for free.  That being said, I would never trade all the memories that I have from covering just about every hole - fairway - tee box and green and also many times got to work with the camera man who would cover the Master's Winner on the 18th Hole several times.  Just a great memory and very enjoyable time.

I have played some mighty fine golf courses throughout SC and GA.  I got to play the "True Blue Golf Course" in Pawley's Island, SC and it was wonderful.  I also got to play Dataw Golf Club in Beaufort, SC and that course was amazing.  Played at some of the nice ones down around Lake Oconee, but don't remember the names of them.  Never played Sage Valley, but I did get to walk it with a friend of mine one day and it is a beautiful golf course.  My step-son just joined the Augusta Country Club and he wants me to play a round of golf with him one day soon.  I have seen this course several times as it backs right up to the Augusta National and is an older golf club, but I will look forward to playing it soon.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:46 AM, AikenGameFan said:

Back when I played regular I wanted to but never found any one to give me a chance. I hear it is really nice. One day I would love a shot at Sage Valley too. Aiken is blessed with some really nice courses. They even got new owners at Aiken Golf Club downtown trying to make it a whole lot better for a public course. And Cedar Creek is a very nice public course. Houndslake and Midland Valley are still cow pasture golf.

I konw that around the Masters it is possible to get on the palmetto...that is how I got on to play Woodside

As for Sage Valley...I got on there as kind of a last second surprise.  I was going to play at the Honors in Chattanooga some years ago and they lost their greens so the pro there set us up with a tee time and housing at Sage Valley on a Saturday and then East Lake the following day.  We played 36 at Sage.  It is unbelivable.  The course is obviously nice and in great shape but just they way they treat you was amazing.  I remember telling my caddie I would like a beer at the turn and he asks me what I like and I told him...two holes later there is a cooler at the tee box with several bottles of my beer.  As I drank them, the caddie would throw the bottles to the edge of the woods and then call in its location and someone would come and get the empties...but the best thing there are the chocolate milkshakes at the turn house...crazy good!  I played horribly there b/c the greens were so dang slow (we played in the middle of June so of course they had to keep tons of water on them since at the time they were bent grass)...but the kicker was when we finished our last round, a gentleman came by and asked us what we wanted for dinner...we asked for a menu and he said just tell me what you want and we will make it happen...we ordered thinking that we were being kidded...we head to  our cabin (which I could live in lol) and by the time we finished our showers and changed, dinner was on the table....it was so nice..unreal

On 9/25/2019 at 4:11 PM, STS said:

I konw that around the Masters it is possible to get on the palmetto...that is how I got on to play Woodside

As for Sage Valley...I got on there as kind of a last second surprise.  I was going to play at the Honors in Chattanooga some years ago and they lost their greens so the pro there set us up with a tee time and housing at Sage Valley on a Saturday and then East Lake the following day.  We played 36 at Sage.  It is unbelivable.  The course is obviously nice and in great shape but just they way they treat you was amazing.  I remember telling my caddie I would like a beer at the turn and he asks me what I like and I told him...two holes later there is a cooler at the tee box with several bottles of my beer.  As I drank them, the caddie would throw the bottles to the edge of the woods and then call in its location and someone would come and get the empties...but the best thing there are the chocolate milkshakes at the turn house...crazy good!  I played horribly there b/c the greens were so dang slow (we played in the middle of June so of course they had to keep tons of water on them since at the time they were bent grass)...but the kicker was when we finished our last round, a gentleman came by and asked us what we wanted for dinner...we asked for a menu and he said just tell me what you want and we will make it happen...we ordered thinking that we were being kidded...we head to  our cabin (which I could live in lol) and by the time we finished our showers and changed, dinner was on the table....it was so nice..unreal

Man that will spoil ya won't it

On 9/24/2019 at 2:15 AM, dreammachine said:

I have worked the Masters Golf Tournament for about ten years with the CBS Camera Crews.  I have been just about everywhere you can go on the course/clubhouse/Butler Cabins and all the "behind the scene stuff that the public never gets to see".  I have seen so many amazing golf shots/putts/drives/fairway shots - that I knew after my first day on the job the real reason they called it "The Masters" as these golfers were the best of the best!!!  Over the years I got to meet some of my all time favorite golfers and of course at the "Masters" you don't speak to them - unless they speak to you first.  I had the pleasure of sitting on the log bench on the 12th tee box - with Mr. Arnold Palmer - who after seeing me and my working partner sitting down on the ground - look over at us and said; "you boys want to sit up here with me"? You know what our answer was.  That was Mr Arnold Palmer's last year as a competitive golfer.  Such a class act and great ambassador of golf around the world.  He was what Elvis Presley was to rock & roll - as Mr. Arnold Palmer did not invent or start the game of golf - but he was the first one to put it on the map world wide and became a household legend for doing it. 

I never got to play the Augusta National as we were paid by CBS and therefore were not invited to play like so many of the people that work there for free.  That being said, I would never trade all the memories that I have from covering just about every hole - fairway - tee box and green and also many times got to work with the camera man who would cover the Master's Winner on the 18th Hole several times.  Just a great memory and very enjoyable time.

I have played some mighty fine golf courses throughout SC and GA.  I got to play the "True Blue Golf Course" in Pawley's Island, SC and it was wonderful.  I also got to play Dataw Golf Club in Beaufort, SC and that course was amazing.  Played at some of the nice ones down around Lake Oconee, but don't remember the names of them.  Never played Sage Valley, but I did get to walk it with a friend of mine one day and it is a beautiful golf course.  My step-son just joined the Augusta Country Club and he wants me to play a round of golf with him one day soon.  I have seen this course several times as it backs right up to the Augusta National and is an older golf club, but I will look forward to playing it soon.

True Blue is a good one...you should play Caledonia across the street...sometimes they run two round specials.  The last time I played True Blue we were able to rent those golf boards and it was so much fun.  I think my friends and I had more fun trying to wreck each other on the boards as opposed to playing golf.  True Blue is a bear though...long and wide open while Caledonia is short and tight.  I love Mike Stranz (RIP) and if you have a chance to play Tobacco Road up in Sanford, NC it is great stuff...the only thing that course is missing is a windmill off the first tee!

13 hours ago, STS said:

True Blue is a good one...you should play Caledonia across the street...sometimes they run two round specials.  The last time I played True Blue we were able to rent those golf boards and it was so much fun.  I think my friends and I had more fun trying to wreck each other on the boards as opposed to playing golf.  True Blue is a bear though...long and wide open while Caledonia is short and tight.  I love Mike Stranz (RIP) and if you have a chance to play Tobacco Road up in Sanford, NC it is great stuff...the only thing that course is missing is a windmill off the first tee!

I did play Caledonia back in 2007.  The reason I could not remember was because I played in an "International Paper" sponsored tournament and it was late August.  Three of my invited guests were all "very big drinkers" and Outback was catering all the food and beer/wine/liqueur a person could want to drink/eat.  The golf course would not allow us to "tee off until 2:00PM that day" and by the time we did the heat index was 114F.  Everybody was just dropping like flies and nobody would drink the ice cold beer or anything else besides water.  Water ran out quickly and by the time my group finished the round - Outback was begging for people to come and eat their hamburgers and grilled chicken, but nobody was having any of it and everybody just wanted to leave and go back home or to their hotels.  I was at the Hampton Inn in Pawley's Island and I drove back there and took a cold shower and just laid on my bed for the next three hours before I could move good.  That was the hottest day I have ever spent on a golf course in my life and if I had not brought some customers with me that day I would have just turned around and went back to the hotel.  From what I remember about the course it was very nice.  It was also one of the hottest places on the planet that day.  I will never play golf in that kind of heat again.  Other than that - it was a great day!!!