Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

Commit Mike Green a preferred walk-on.

6 hours ago, FeatheredCock said:

I haven't kept up with Green's numbers recently, but back at the first of the year, I can tell you that he was shooting 49.5% shooting from three over his last two seasons, with 140 makes.  I've seen a lot of fans calling for a sharpshooter from behind the arc over the last number of years.  Mike Green qualifies and then some.  I mean 50% from behind the arc?  With 140 makes?  Those numbers are STUPID good.

Below is an exsert from THE STATE

The fact Trae Hannibal’s phone was buzzing early Monday afternoon wasn’t all that newsworthy. Hannibal, a South Carolina basketball signee over a month removed from scoring 62 points in his final high school game, is a popular guy.

But Hannibal’s social media inbox was being filled by someone he least expected. That’s the part that caught the Hartsville senior by surprise.

“Mike rarely uses Twitter,” Hannibal said, “and here he was messaging me for my number.”

Mike Green is a 6-foot-3 combo guard who attends Christian Academy in Myrtle Beach. He’s the school’s all-time leading scorer and has Division I scholarship offers from UNC Charlotte and USC Upstate. He’s played against SC’s top players over the years, from Zion Williamson to Hannibal. Monday afternoon, Green wanted to let Hannibal know he was closing in on a college decision.

“Committing?” Hannibal asked him. “Committing where?”

“I’m coming with you, bro,” Green responded. “I’m trying to make that Final Four run.”

Green made it official at 8:02 Monday night: He’s walking on to Frank Martin’s USC program.

8 hours ago, Gamecock Man said:

This is probably about as good a player as you can expect to get for a walk on.  54% 3 point shooting is good no matter what kind of competition he played against. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust to the speed of the game at this level.

Trae Hannibal seems to be of the opinion that Green is the real deal.  If Mike can come in and show some value in a Hassani Gravett or Frank Booker kind of way, I could see him getting a decent number of minutes as a walk on.  It's not unheard of under Coach Martin.  Think Brian Steele.

Guest Senior Rooster

wow!~ This guy seems like an incredible bargain basement find - getting him as a PWO. I am really pumped that we got him.