COUNTDOWN TO KICK-OFF "2019" GAMECOCK FOOTBALL

South Carolina Gamecocks  vs.  North Carolina Tarheels 

Sign in to follow this  
Cockyandproud

What’s the deal with Josh Belk?

There is a chance that he will be back

There remains a chance the USC coaching staff could convince Belk to rejoin the team in time for the start of spring practice on Feb. 27.

Maybe, in the long run, it's best he did leave.

"I fractured a vertebrae and decided to choose another path in life," Belk told Michelle of VizorSports.com according to a Tweet that Belk retweeted with the comment #GodsPlan. "One that won't potentially mess me up in the long run with injuries and all. Been praying and this is what God has led me to."

Yeah, apparently he had a MRI done on his back, that discovered the fractured vertebrae. He wants to quit football for health reasons. I don't know how or when he suffered the injury, or what extent it is, but back injuries where it involves the spine is serious business, especially where it involves physical contact sports like football.

Can't say I want the staff to persuade Belk to stay with the program if he doesn't have the desire to keep playing. He has a very talented player on paper, and USC is in need of getting the DL back to where it once was, but we've loaded up on talented DL over the past 2 classes, and 2020 has some pretty talented in-state DL talent as well.

Next season alone, we'll have our entire starting DL back including DTs Kinlaw, Smith, and Thomas. Also return Sandidge, Webb, Enagbare, and JUCO Ellis, and add Pickens and Anderson, who could develop into a DT. We should be OK for next season.

In 2020, we lose Kinlaw, Smith, Thomas, and Ellis, so that's some depth. We'll add Sorrells who looks to sit out 2019 on a academic red-shirt, then anyone who we add to the 2020 class. Still, with Pickens, Sandidge, Webb, Enagbare, and Anderson that's a solid core for 2020 with anyone we add to that class. Just means we'll have to recruit the position a little harder than we initially expected to.....

3 minutes ago, ConwayGamecock said:

Yeah, apparently he had a MRI done on his back, that discovered the fractured vertebrae. He wants to quit football for health reasons. I don't know how or when he suffered the injury, or what extent it is, but back injuries where it involves the spine is serious business, especially where it involves physical contact sports like football.

Can't say I want the staff to persuade Belk to stay with the program if he doesn't have the desire to keep playing. He has a very talented player on paper, and USC is in need of getting the DL back to where it once was, but we've loaded up on talented DL over the past 2 classes, and 2020 has some pretty talented in-state DL talent as well.

Next season alone, we'll have our entire starting DL back including DTs Kinlaw, Smith, and Thomas. Also return Sandidge, Webb, Enagbare, and JUCO Ellis, and add Pickens and Anderson, who could develop into a DT. We should be OK for next season.

In 2020, we lose Kinlaw, Smith, Thomas, and Ellis, so that's some depth. We'll add Sorrells who looks to sit out 2019 on a academic red-shirt, then anyone who we add to the 2020 class. Still, with Pickens, Sandidge, Webb, Enagbare, and Anderson that's a solid core for 2020 with anyone we add to that class. Just means we'll have to recruit the position a little harder than we initially expected to.....

Agree, scary when involving the spine, Him and him along that is his decision and maybe he might come back if he feels comfortable about playing again. Sometimes it wise not to play if in fear of injury. If he has a changing of the mind in my book he is more then welcome back. We shell see.

Under those circumstances, I cannot say I blame him. However if there is any truth to the rumor about him pursuing a career as a truck driver, I certainly hope somebody talks him out of that. There's nothing wrong with it, of course. Hell I did it for a little while and enjoyed it a good bit. But it can aggravate a back injury pretty badly, and in 15 years or so he'll wish he never started driving.

Truck driver my advice is to stay in school and get a degree. Nothing wrong with being a truck driver hard to do and keep a family especially one that keeps you away from home. Good if you want to be along and think things through. Wish him the best in whatever his endeavors will be. Who knows he might be back by the time spring ball cranks up.