South Carolina baseball coach Chad Holbrook discusses his future

South Carolina baseball coach Chad Holbrook discusses his future

May 28, 2017

South Carolina baseball made an impressive run in Hoover in the past few days, winning three games in the SEC Tournament for the first time since 2004.

But now two key questions remain: Was it enough to get the Gamecocks into the NCAA Tournament and was it enough to secure coach Chad Holbrook’s job?

“That’s not for me to decide,” Holbrook said. “That’s not for me to discuss. I’ve been lucky to be the head baseball coach at South Carolina. I stand by our success here. I certainly love the opportunity to coach the Gamecocks, but that’s not my decision. That’s for others to decide.”

The Gamecocks completed the regular season and conference tournament with a 35-25 record. They finished well in Hoover, a necessity to revive their postseason chances. But if the Gamecocks are left out of the field, Holbrook’s squad will have missed the NCAA Tournament twice in three seasons after making it in 15 straight seasons.

It has been a frustrating season for Holbrook and the Gamecocks, who lost their final eight straight SEC series. South Carolina was hit by the injury bug, most notably missing ace Clarke Schmidt and closer Tyler Johnson for stretches. USC lost a bevy of close games in late innings, coming within a pitch or an out of multiple series wins.

Earlier this spring, athletic director Ray Tanner said his advice to Holbrook was to stay the course.

“Baseball is a long season,” said Tanner, who coached South Carolina baseball for 16 seasons. “It’s a grind. You are going to lose some close games. You hope you get them back. … Hopefully, things can change.”

Holbrook has been at the helm for five seasons in Columbia, taking over after Tanner retired.

He has led the Gamecocks to two Super Regional appearances and an SEC East championship in 2016.