Sign in to follow this  
FeatheredCock

South Carolina basketball: Previewing the 2017 early signing period

South Carolina basketball: Previewing the 2017 early signing period

Nov. 08, 2016

Center Jason Cudd and power forward Ibrahim Doumbia took their official visits to South Carolina on the same weekend in September. Cudd committed a few days after it was over. Doumbia hopped on board about two weeks later.

A rundown of the Gamecocks’ two commitments:

Jason Cudd, 3-star C, Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Cudd was the first commitment to South Carolina’s 2017 class. According to the 247Sports’ rankings, Cudd is the No. 36-ranked center in the country.

South Carolina landed the 7-foot, 250-pound prospect over offers from East Carolina, Tulane and Western Carolina.

Socastee High School head coach Derrick Hilton told Joe Hughes II of The Sun News that Cudd’s choice was an easy one.

“As far as his choice, I think Jason and his family are happy with his decision, and I support them 100 percent,” Hilton said. “I think Jason knows that he still has things to work on and improve, but I do think he has a great deal of upside. … I think he knows that he still has to improve his athleticism, and continue to work on getting stronger and continue to work on his conditioning.”

As a junior, Cudd averaged 12 points and 8 rebounds per game.

Ibrahim Doumbia, 3-star PF, Miami, Fla.

After Doumbia’s commitment, the 6-foot-8, 190-pound prospect from Mali told SEC Country that he was impressed with South Carolina’s International Business program.

“That’s what I want to do. They have one of the top International Business programs in the country,” Doumbia said. “I like the coach a lot, too. They have been recruiting me since I was in the ninth grade. I like their style and I like how they work hard in everything.”

The No. 65-ranked power forward in the Class of 2017 committed to South Carolina over offers from Baylor, Florida and Tennessee.

South Carolina began recruiting Doumbia during his junior year when his former high school traveled to Columbia for a tournament.

Currently enrolled at Miami Country Day School, Doumbia is the No. 24-ranked prospect from the state of Florida.

Others to watch

The Gamecocks are in the mix for a handful of players, including David Beatty, Nicolas Claxton, Felipe Haase and Clyde Trapp Jr.

Beatty, a 4-star combo guard from Philadelphia, is also considering Connecticut, Georgetown, Indiana and Maryland. Haase, who’s from Chile, is a 3-star out of Miami (Fla.) Christian School. His other official visits were to Missouri, Pittsburgh and Purdue.

Claxton and Trapp are in-state targets, from Greenville and Hopkins, respectively. Claxton, a 3-star small forward, lists four other schools: Baylor, Florida State, Georgia and N.C. State. Trapp, an unranked shooting guard, also taken official visits to Charlotte, Clemson and Rice.