Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The USFL

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
Here are the teams and their respective head coaches:

2022 USFL head coaches
Birmingham StallionsSkip Holtz
Houston GamblersKevin Sumlin
New Orleans BreakersLarry Fedora
Tampa Bay BanditsTodd Haley
Michigan PanthersJeff Fisher
New Jersey GeneralsMike Riley
Philadelphia StarsBart Andrus
Pittsburgh MaulersKirby Wilson

The players are unknowns, but the games seem pretty good.

So I looked up the schedule and all of the games are being played in Birmingham.

Birmingham has a team and fans show up to watch their home team play, but the stands were essentially empty for the other game I watched last weekend (Michigan Panthers vs. Houston Gamblers).

SMDH over the USFL's decision to play all of its home games in UAB's stadium unless they really couldn't play in other cities for one reason or another.

Have not watched a game but will tune in this week. Pittsburgh Maulers lol Pitt is a steel town and those boys are tough as nails, not the players here but the fans....

The football's pretty decent.

W-B could host a few games and get a better turnout for the USFL teams.

I am surprised Tanner hasn't tried to host some games to get some revenue back.

I watched one game, football was decent...but stands were almost completely empty. I'm not sure how you get fans to show up when every team in the league is playing at one stadium. They are all Birmingham teams, despite the city names -- hard to encourage any kind of team loyalty. Hopefully, the tv contract can sustain the league.

Looks like cheap football to me. I’ve tried to watch a couple games but can’t really get into it.

I am more curious to see what new ideas they bring that might be able to be added to the college and NFL. The chip in the football is interesting to me. I hate the stoppage of the clock on every 1st down in college ball. The chip could allow them to get rid of the chains and speed that part of the game up a little if it works properly.

I like being able to hear the coaches calling the plays. All the players' helmets have headsets, too, so they can hear the coaches talking, too.

I watched the first half of the Pittsburg Maulers vs. the Philadelphia Stars.

It was a decent game but there were very little fans because it was played in Birmingham.

The Stars' unis looked pretty sick. I like the strobe stripes on the helmets.

4.23.22_USFL_Stars-Maulers-Takeaways_16x9.jpg

We should try something like that on ours. Garnet strobes on black helmets and pants.

Something like that.

I was wondering why the game I tuned into was in Birmingham. I didn't realize all games were played there. Have not really gotten into though. I watched maybe 10 minutes.

Yeah, I think the single location is to limit expenses...stadium leases, but I would think it's really difficult to obtain any team loyalty/support with this strategy. The leagues whole strategy seems dependant upon broadcast money.

Yeah, I think the single location is to limit expenses...stadium leases, but I would think it's really difficult to obtain any team loyalty/support with this strategy. The leagues whole strategy seems dependant upon broadcast money.
It is very strange and odd to watch a game with nobody in the stands. I think in the past they talked about developmental type leagues for the NFL, but now with the NIL scheme running in college there is no incentive for a kid to leave early and enter some developmental type league, they will make more money in college.

I watched the New Jersey Generals (Mike Reilly) defeat the Houston Gamblers (Kevin Sumlin) Sunday 26-25 with no time left on the clock.

Once again there were hardly any fans in UAB's stadium for this game, even though it looked like a pretty good game.

Here are the current USFL standings:

NORTH
W-L-TPCTPFPAHOMEAWAYCONFDIVSTRK
1New Jersey Generals5-1.8331321053-02-1-3-0W5
2Philadelphia Stars3-3.5001411532-21-1-2-1W1
3Michigan Panthers1-5.1671041131-20-3-1-2L3
4Pittsburgh Maulers1-5.167761380-21-3-0-3L1
SOUTH
W-L-TPCTPFPAHOMEAWAYCONFDIVSTRK
1Birmingham Stallions6-01.0001621093-03-0-3-0W6
2New Orleans Breakers4-2.6671361013-11-1-2-1W1
3Tampa Bay Bandits3-3.5001121341-12-2-1-2L1
4Houston Gamblers1-5.1671321420-31-2-0-3L5

Skip Holtz and the Birmingham Stallions are undefeated. Say what you want about the USFL, but that's still a great coaching job.

South Carolina has never been wealthy enough to afford an NFL franchise, but I think we could host a USFL team at W-B if the right people put their heads together.

Just don't give the team a stupid name like Mudfleas or something like that.

Something like Sandlappers or Blowfish would be pretty good.

Last edited:
I watched the end the of the NJ Generals and Houston Gamblers game yesterday. They said it was the 3rd game in a row that Houston lost the game on the last play as time expired. That is crazy.

I watched the last part of the NJ Generals/Michigan Panthers game on Saturday during a lunch break from yardwork.

The Generals won 25-23. Not a bad game, but the lack of fans is still kinda creepy to me.

Week 10 of the regular season will happen this weekend, but the play-off teams have been set.

The playoffs, which will be held at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio, begin with the semifinals on Saturday, June 25. Here is the schedule:

Stars vs. Generals: 3 p.m. ET on FOX.

Breakers vs. Stallions: 8 p.m. ET on NBC.

I have checked out some games - only a few series at a time though. I agree about the lack of fans being strange. I mean, there is almost no one in the stadium. I would be surprised if there were 1000-2000 people.

I haven't really followed any of the game nor any of the players. For those that have watched is there any talent that might make it to the NFL?