Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Upcoming Bout with Mizzou

doublea1971

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
Here’s my take on things:
1.) Mizzou is a guard-driven team. We have the capacity b/c of our defensive capabilities to absolutely shut them down. But we will have to keep an eye on forcing them to shoot OUTSIDE and not inside. They’ve got capable 3 point shooters, but they’re just average actual shooters for the most part.
2.) Mizzouri is a CRAZY tall team. We may have difficulties if we allow them to force the ball inside. We simply won’t match up well down low. That being said, they’re being out-rebounded from a numbers standpoint (both offensively and defensively). Make them miss at the bucket and you’ve got a good shot at getting the ball back. Play that smart and it’s easy fast break buckets.
3.) Expect to see Coach Paris POUNDING the ball inside early in this game. After the embarrassing Bama loss, I think you’ll see a point of emphasis on scoring from the inside out. Kick and shoot from 3, lots of cutting to the basket, lots of play from two bigs at the basket and not much shooting from them… just getting things low enough that Mizzou has to squeeze away from the 3 point line (i.e. - we keep Mizzou honest on D).

Good guys win by 14.

Thoughts?

Bama had multiple players hot from the perimeter and I doubt we'll see that this game. We missed defensive rotations and gave them too many open looks on the perimeter.

We also missed a lot of bunnies in the paint as well.

I think a lot of our troubles in the 2nd half of the Bama game were mental because Bama played much better rather being even with us. So it was the ego thing of getting our butts handed to us for really the first time this season.

Having said all of the above, I expect us to get a bounce-back win against Mizzou. A 10-point win if we get our mojo back.

Missouri is a tough team to figure out. They've had some really tough losses, thinking of the Kansas game. They are better than their record would indicate, or maybe they have the potential to be better than record indicates might be a better way of putting it. Anyway the game is at Mizzery, so we will have to play better than we did against 'Bama to have a shot.

You almost jinxed us again lol I kid, I kid!

We showed a ton of moxie in this OT win, we never led in the 2nd half, never found a hot shooter from outside but found a way to pull out an OT win in a hostile environment

16-18 from the FT line won us the game

Boyles played 25 minutes with no turnovers 6pts 6reb 3ast
Cooper basically played the entire game 40 minutes, 11pts 8reb 3ast with only 2 turnovers. He also hit the big 3 that tied it up as well as defending their best offensive player
BJ Mack was methodical with his inside out approach today he ended up with 21pts 4reb and 2ast while going 6-6 from the FT line and setting the tone with his pick and pop to the post fame
We also got effort and minutes from Gray, Clark and BBV 5pts, 3reb 1ast with some decent defense and high low picks

Coach Paris made the right calls again and watching Meechie become the biggest cheerleader insteading moping on the bench shows the type of team this is and Coach we have

We showed a ton of moxie in this OT win, we never led in the 2nd half, never found a hot shooter from outside but found a way to pull out an OT win in a hostile environment

Cooper basically played the entire game 40 minutes, 11pts 8reb 3ast with only 2 turnovers. He also hit the big 3 that tied it up as well as defending their best offensive player
BJ Mack was methodical with his inside out approach today he ended up with 21pts 4reb and 2ast while going 6-6 from the FT line and setting the tone with his pick and pop to the post fame
We also got effort and minutes from Gray, Clark and BBV 5pts, 3reb 1ast with some decent defense and high low picks

Coach Paris made the right calls again and watching Meechie become the biggest cheerleader insteading moping on the bench shows the type of team this is and Coach we have
It also says a lot about Meechie.

Jacobi's PG interview with the SECN folks.

Jacobi floated that 15-footer over Mizzou's 7'5" Connor Vanover for the game-winner. David versus Goliath.

Lamont remarked in his PG interview with Derek that Vanover must have an 8' wingspan. Essentially the same as a hang-glider. LOL

Last edited:
Lots of good pics in this link.

The one that says who this team is: the starters cheering Jacobi on from the bench during OT.

AA1mVAxj.img

(Photo courtesy Associated Press)

Well, wasn’t a 14 point victory, but WAS exactly what I expected. When we FINALLY started the driving to the basket and hedging outside with the bigs, was when we were able to score.

I would HATE to play against Vanover. Dude can block a shot standing 3 feet from you, so he doesn’t foul you, while still blocking the shot. Almost absurd the wingspan…

Happy for the Gamecocks. Refs let the game get WAAAY to physical and we still came out on top. Got a good, strong, gritty squad. We’ll steal a victory from someone we’re not supposed to beat this year (looking at you Tennessee, between the two games)… I can feel it coming.

Auburn, florida, kentucky, Ole miss and tenn at home are those games.

If Boyles continues to get comfortable with Mack and we continue to get productive minutes from Gray, BBV and Clark to with our gaurd/wing play I believe we will see it.

Three different seasons.

We did great in the OOC. Now we are in the middle of getting up on the curve in SEC play. There will some ups and downs for sure, but this is the best team we have here since the Final Four run.

Stay focus.

• The overtime victory is the first for Carolina since a 74-71, win at Georgetown on Dec. 3, 2022, in the nation’s capital. The Gamecocks had lost their previous three overtime games all coming in conference play last season.
  • The win is the program’s second all-time win at Mizzou Arena in eight tries and first since a 63-53 in CoMo on Jan. 28, 2017, by the then No. 23/24 Gamecocks who were led by a double-double from Sindarius Thornwell (16 points and 11 rebounds).
  • The victory also snaps a three-game losing streak to Missouri and is Carolina’s second true road win in four tries this season.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyNC8wMS82NGE4NGFiNS1hcDlpNzA4MS5qcGVn.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

What this team is about this year:

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyNC8wMS9lYThlNDUzNS1hcDlpNzAyNi5qcGVn.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

Man, those new garnet road jerseys are absolute fire!!