Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steph Curry finally gets his degree from Davidson

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
View: https://twitter.com/NBCSWarriors/status/1525898561837223937

As a junior in 2009, Curry halted his college coursework to prepare for the NBA draft and was a semester short of a degree. This spring, Curry reenrolled and completed his final coursework. He'll receive a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Sociology.

Davidson insisted it wouldn't retire Curry's No. 30 Wildcats jersey until he earned his degree from the school. Now that the final box is checked, Warriors fans can expect No. 30 to be raised in John M. Belk Arena rafters sooner rather than later.

He now has a B.A. in Sociology just like me and also Michael Carrera IIRC.

So now he can weave baskets after he gets done shooting them. LOL

Sa-lute!!

Good for him. He obviously made a commitment to someone (or himself) to get his degree...and he did. This degree is going to do bupkiss for his financial security... so, much respect to him for completing this task he had started!

I know others won't agree, but what a waste of time. He can do what he wants, and more power to him, but what is the point? Is he now smarter? Will he make more money?
I remember a girl I know who got her degree from a university in SC and is truly a rock-headed individual. I remember her telling me at one point, when she had made a really stupid decision and lost her job as a teacher's aide, that "They can take that away, but they can't take my degree!" I remember thinking that I'm just a high school graduate, crayon-eating Jarhead, but I own my own business, and can run mental circles around this girl, but at least she has a degree. She now works as an order puller for Amazon.
I want my doctor to have a degree, and outside of that, I don't care. "Education" (party and stay inebriated for four years) and the wedding industry are two of the biggest wastes of time and money today.

I know others won't agree, but what a waste of time. He can do what he wants, and more power to him, but what is the point? Is he now smarter? Will he make more money?
I remember a girl I know who got her degree from a university in SC and is truly a rock-headed individual. I remember her telling me at one point, when she had made a really stupid decision and lost her job as a teacher's aide, that "They can take that away, but they can't take my degree!" I remember thinking that I'm just a high school graduate, crayon-eating Jarhead, but I own my own business, and can run mental circles around this girl, but at least she has a degree. She now works as an order puller for Amazon.
I want my doctor to have a degree, and outside of that, I don't care. "Education" (party and stay inebriated for four years) and the wedding industry are two of the biggest wastes of time and money today.
I was in Carolina's PMBA program back in late 90s/early 2000s, but was burning the candle at both ends trying to keep up with the coursework and a FT job that kept me on the road a lot.

At the time I felt I could make more money in the short term by getting my IT certifications, so I left the program, saved enough money normally spent for tuition to take a trip to San Diego and see some old Navy buds.

The short story is I my hunch was right. I was able to make and save enough for a down payment on the house I currently live in right now. If I had stayed the MBA course I would have been in debt and without a good job when the tech bubble burst in the early 2000s.

The structured DoD environment I grew up in as a young man and the real business world are two different animals.

I agree with you to a certain point, but I think seeing the lack of worth of a college answers the question of "what if I had gone to college instead?" for many people if they hadn't learned the hard way.

The only other thing I would say is you can have more of a structure for forming and expressing thoughts in a four-year degree program compared to some other careers, but it really depends on what you're talking about, though.

I was in Carolina's PMBA program back in late 90s/early 2000s, but was burning the candle at both ends trying to keep up with the coursework and a FT job that kept me on the road a lot.

At the time I felt I could make more money in the short term by getting my IT certifications, so I left the program, saved enough money normally spent for tuition to take a trip to San Diego and see some old Navy buds.

The short story is I my hunch was right. I was able to make and save enough for a down payment on the house I currently live in right now. If I had stayed the MBA course I would have been in debt and without a good job when the tech bubble burst in the early 2000s.

The structured DoD environment I grew up in as a young man and the real business world are two different animals.

I agree with you to a certain point, but I think seeing the lack of worth of a college answers the question of "what if I had gone to college instead?" for many people if they hadn't learned the hard way.

The only other thing I would say is you can have more of a structure for forming and expressing thoughts in a four-year degree program compared to some other careers, but it really depends on what you're talking about, though.
The current culture puts a high emphasis on a college degree, however, it doesn't make sense. Most jobs can be learned better by on the job training. You don't need a college degree to sit in a cubicle and send emails and memos, and since the vast majority of people who have a college degree, don't do anything associated with their major, it makes it even more absurd.
I don't downplay the benefit of certain things. As I said, I want my doctor to have gone to college and medical school, and I'm sure that those of you in the technical field of computers and other such things need to understand the principles of what you are doing. Colleges are money-making institutions.
We are rapidly approaching a time in our nation where those with degrees in nonsense, will be of no use to anyone. I have encouraged all of my children to learn how to do something to be of value. Being an ineffectual middle management suck-up won't mean squat when the economy is falling down on our heads. Those who can fix things and build things will become incredibly valuable. We are already seeing this in the trades. The older generations are retiring and dying off, and there are not large numbers replacing them. Those in plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, and other trades are making big money, without college debt, and their value is only going up as there are fewer and fewer of them.

The current culture puts a high emphasis on a college degree, however, it doesn't make sense. Most jobs can be learned better by on the job training. You don't need a college degree to sit in a cubicle and send emails and memos, and since the vast majority of people who have a college degree, don't do anything associated with their major, it makes it even more absurd.
I don't downplay the benefit of certain things. As I said, I want my doctor to have gone to college and medical school, and I'm sure that those of you in the technical field of computers and other such things need to understand the principles of what you are doing. Colleges are money-making institutions.
We are rapidly approaching a time in our nation where those with degrees in nonsense, will be of no use to anyone. I have encouraged all of my children to learn how to do something to be of value. Being an ineffectual middle management suck-up won't mean squat when the economy is falling down on our heads. Those who can fix things and build things will become incredibly valuable. We are already seeing this in the trades. The older generations are retiring and dying off, and there are not large numbers replacing them. Those in plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, and other trades are making big money, without college debt, and their value is only going up as there are fewer and fewer of them.
Yep. Hopefully the current world situation will bring the good skilled trade jobs back to this country since nothing else has worked up to this point.

I like to solve problems, help people make money and they pay me what they think is fair. It's been that way ever since I left the Navy.

There's a local guy who did a hitch in the Marines I get to do tree work for me. He's thorough like me and will work with me on price. I would rather give him time to get to me than deal with the skinflints who don't walk the talk.

There's always a place at the table for anyone who rises above the status quo, no matter they do for a living.