Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Carolina announces hiring of Grady Brown

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
USC Media Relations

Posted Feb 3, 2012

University of South Carolina head football coach Steve Spurrier has added former Southern Miss assistant Grady Brown to his coaching staff, it was announced today. Brown will serve as the Gamecocks’ secondary coach and assistant special teams coordinator in 2012.

“We’re pleased to announce the hiring of Grady Brown, a sharp, young defensive secondary coach who has had much success the last three years at Southern Miss,” said Coach Spurrier. “He will also assist Joe Robinson with the special teams. He and Joe were together at LSU and know each other well. He will fit in extremely well here and be an excellent addition to our staff.”

Brown, 34, has spent the past two seasons as the Golden Eagles’ cornerbacks coach. During the 2011 campaign, Southern Miss was No. 7 nationally in pass efficiency defense (108.47 rating) and set an NCAA record for interceptions returned for touchdowns with eight. As a unit, the Golden Eagle defense finished the season as a Top-30 defense.

In his first year at USM, Brown, who was hired just prior to the start of fall camp, quickly instilled a toughness and physicality into his corners that amounted to a pair of freshman being selected to the All Freshman squad.

“I’m excited to work with Lorenzo Ward, someone I’ve known since I was 17,” said Brown. “It should be a smooth transition and a blessed opportunity for me to work with someone I’ve known for such a long time. I also am excited to have the opportunity to work with Coach Spurrier. He is such a well-respected coach and has done some great things here at South Carolina. I’m looking forward to becoming part of the Gamecock family.”

Brown came to Southern Miss after spending the previous year and a half working in the strength and conditioning area at LSU, where he helped tutor NFL third-round pick Chad Jones and free agent signees Danny McCray and Chris Hawkins.

Brown went to LSU after working a season at Texas Southern where he was the safeties coach and also the community outreach liaison.

His arrival to TSU came after a six-year stint as the secondary coach at Alabama State. While at ASU, the Hornets’ defense finished ranked in the Top 10 nationally in six team categories and once for an individual. In his first season at ASU, Brown mentored Antoine Hill who finished third in the country in interceptions with 10, while the squad ranked seventh in both turnovers gained and interceptions. The team won the Southwestern Athletic Conference crown in 2003 and then the league's overall title in 2004, in which his defensive squad ranked seventh in turnovers gained and ninth in rushing defense.

During his time at ASU, Brown served two NFL Minority Coaching Internships, first with the Seattle Seahawks in 2004, then with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2007. He also served as the defensive coordinator and linebacker coach for the Magnolia All-Star Football Classic in 2005.

Brown began his coaching career in 2000 at his alma mater, Alabama A&M, before being promoted to the rank of a full-time assistant coach for the 2001 campaign.

After completing his high school career at Wenonah High School in Birmingham, Ala., Brown played defensive back for Alabama A&M from 1995 through 1998. After his senior season, he played one season with the Tennessee Valley Vipers in the Arena Football League.

Born June 13, 1977, Brown graduated from Alabama A&M with a degree in mathematics education in 2000. He is married to Rashidah Brown.

2012 South Carolina Coaching Staff Assignments:

Steve Spurrier, Head Coach

Kirk Botkin, Linebackers/Spurs

Grady Brown, Secondary/Assistant Special Teams Coordinator

Shawn Elliott, Offensive Line/Running Game Coordinator

Brad Lawing, Defensive Line

G.A. Mangus, Quarterbacks

Joe Robinson, Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends

Everette Sands, Running Backs

Steve Spurrier Jr., Wide Receivers/Passing Game Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator

Lorenzo Ward, Defensive Coordinator