Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sous Vide Char-Siu

cocky0

The cake is a lie
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
So somebody forked around and gave me a sous vide machine for my birthday a few months ago. The other gift was a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. Since then, I've been putting these toys through the paces with some drumsticks, steaks, chicken breast, etc. This thing puts out the juiciest

Well I decided to carve up a pork shoulder into sections. The first one became carnitas which we used for burritos the other night. Fantastic choice. The second section, I seasoned with some of this new AP rub I made and a little Killer Hog's BBQ rub. I then smoked it for a couple of hours to develop a little bark and some smoke flavor. Once it cooled down some, I vacu-sealed it so I can finish it sous vide at a time of my choosing. I'll report back with the results when I get around to cooking it.

I think I'm gonna make char-siu with the third section. Anyone done one of those?

He would have recommend the Sous Vide Dummies group on FB. Lots of good tips & tricks.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I've been using YT videos, specifically the second channel from Guga call Sous-Vide Everything. He does some interesting recipes with it.

I started sous vide-ing for steaks.. it really is a game changer, especially for thick steaks. Perfect temp all the way through.

I started sous vide-ing for steaks.. it really is a game changer, especially for thick steaks. Perfect temp all the way through.

Yeah man. It's like an "I win" button for cooking.
Here recently, I've been seeing how it can be incorporated into BBQ. I did a small piece of pork shoulder, which I smoked for a few hours before bagging. That turned out better than expected. I think I want to try doing a brisket like that soon.

Yeah man. It's like an "I win" button for cooking.
Here recently, I've been seeing how it can be incorporated into BBQ. I did a small piece of pork shoulder, which I smoked for a few hours before bagging. That turned out better than expected. I think I want to try doing a brisket like that soon.
I've only tried it with steak, maybe I should branch out... I wonder how it would do a pork tenderloin?

I've only tried it with steak, maybe I should branch out... I wonder how it would do a pork tenderloin?

I did one of those recently, and it turned out great. Insanely juicy. Using it to pre-cook chicken prior to frying is another thing I did that turned out well too. I'm not sold on using it for wings though. I usually smoke my wings anyways. It does collect the collagen very well, so maybe that could be handy.

So on steak, do you sear first and then sous vide, or reverse sear after cooking?

Always sear afterwards. If you do it before, you'll lose that crust.
As for smoking, I do smoke before, then use the sous-vide to simulate the wrapping part. After that, you can generate bark in the oven if you don't feel like firing up the smoker again. Soon I'm gonna try a brisket like that with a 24 hour bath. I'll post pics of that one when I do it.

I more or less do things the same way Guga on Youtube does them. (Except the flame thrower. I don't have one of those.) He has a channel called Sous-Vide Everything, and he does experiments with different flavors and techniques. Some of them are silly, but interesting to see nonetheless. The next time I do steaks, I'm doing it with the ranch compound butter he makes in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3DG2OOMRek&t=133s&ab_channel=SousVideEverything

How do the cook times compare to the more conventional processes?
Cook times are longer, but you can "set it & forget it" like a crock pot. Also, the temperature of what you're cooking will only go as high as you have the temperature of the set for.

I more or less do things the same way Guga on Youtube does them. (Except the flame thrower. I don't have one of those.) He has a channel called Sous-Vide Everything, and he does experiments with different flavors and techniques. Some of them are silly, but interesting to see nonetheless. The next time I do steaks, I'm doing it with the ranch compound butter he makes in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3DG2OOMRek&t=133s&ab_channel=SousVideEverything
Have you tried the mayo sear with a cast iron skillet?

I have a small piece of corned beef going right now. I'm thinking of doing sliders with it this weekend for the game.

I just grabbed a small one, scored some of the fat, and put the little seasoning packet on both sides and vac sealed it.

xystU9W.jpg
vhZtaxE.jpg

I have it in the bath now at 155°F for 24 hours. I'll then cool it off and refrigerate the whole thing until Saturday. I'm planning to give it a glaze and roast it in the oven to get some color before slicing and making sliders with it.

Last edited:
I have a small piece of corned beef going right now. I'm thinking of doing sliders with it this weekend for the game.

I just grabbed a small one, scored some of the fat, and put the little seasoning packet on both sides and vac sealed it.

xystU9W.jpg
vhZtaxE.jpg

I have it in the bath now at 155°F for 24 hours. I'll then cool it off and refrigerate the whole thing until Saturday. I'm planning to give it a glaze and roast it in the oven to get some color before slicing and making sliders with it.
Why refrigerate after cooking it. Isn’t the whole point to get everything a nice even temp without overcooking?

Have no idea. Just curious.

Why refrigerate after cooking it. Isn’t the whole point to get everything a nice even temp without overcooking?

Have no idea. Just curious.
Not to answer for cock0, but I think the refrigeration is because he's not serving until Saturday.

Ok, poorly worded, because that's exactly what I'm doing, whether accurate or not.