Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silver Lining Phase II - Lattimore

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
site to link out to the referenced data http://gamecockpundi...g-phase-ii.html

When Marcus Lattimore tore his ACL midway through last year's football season, I commented at that time that there was a "Silver Lining" to the entire situation. I was blasted by some on message boards stating that there simply is nothing positive to take form a season-ending injury to the best player not only on your team, but on the football field most games. The Gamecocks posted a 5-1 record post-Lattimore and we watched the emergence of Connor Shaw and Brandon Wilds along the way to a record setting season. This team found a way to win and this speaks volumes for a team fighting for an identify post-Garcia era as well. The way this team performed losing their staring running back and quarter back within 2 weeks shows the depth of leadership from the 3rd stringer all the way up to the coaching staff.

Silver Lining phase I complete.

So, why is a Phase II needed? Brace yourself and open up your mind; don't let your next reaction become denial.

Statistically speaking, Marcus will not be able to perform at the same level he did prior to tearing his ACL and it's going to take 2 full years before he even does. The data emphatically supports this claim.

According to research done by PsychCentral on over 30 NFL running backs and wide receivers, there is a 33% reduction in overall performance after an ACL tear. The good news is that 80% do return to play again from this injury.

But, returning to 70% form most definitely does not occur in the first year back from injury when looking at these 15 NFL running backs.

Someone is going to say it, so I'll address it. Yes, Lattimore is certainly capable of coming back 100% to form; if anyone can do it, this guy can. He has the physical tools, heart, and work ethic to defy all statistical probabilities. If this came to pass, there certainly wouldn't be anyone more deserving than this young man.

Fortunately, he does not have to be thrusted back into being the work horse. Spurrier and Sands have the luxury of running back being our most talented position from top to bottom in Miles, Wilds, Carson, and Davis. Throw in Shaw's running ability and there is no logical reason to rush anything where Lattimore is concerned.

Where does all this position itself into the outcome of this season? And where is the Silver Lining? One of two things are going to happen. Lattimore is not 100% and is brought along slowly and has an average statistical season. Or, he returns to near 100% form and has another big season.

I believe if he has an average season, combined with many believing that it takes 2 years to fully come back, that Lattimore will return for his Senior season and Gamecock nation will have the deadliest back field in the SEC in Shaw/Lattimore. Silver Lining.

If Lattimore has another great season, then that should only bolster our chances of making it again to the SEC championship game. Ironically, if we get there for a 2nd time, we will have to face a rotating SEC West opponent in the regular season and in the championship game who could win the national championship. Auburn 2 years ago and LSU this year.

Any way you slice it, I expect big things from the offense this year who will more than make up for the potential degradation in performance from the defense with the losses of NFL first round picks Ingram and Gilmore. Replacing leading tackler Allen and the ever sturdy Robertson are also of concern.

One thing we can all agree on is that we can't wait to see this