Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Gamecock Jesus

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

Thompson was a fixture at men’s and women’s basketball games throughout the years, seated on or near the baseline. He also was spotted at USC volleyball matches.

Thompson said he stopped cutting his hair and grew a beard back in 1973, giving him the moniker of Gamecock Jesus or Baseline Jesus.
He was known for his loud and supportive cheers — and his jumping and stomping — in support of the Gamecocks.

Carlton Thompson was a retired nurse and he was diagnosed with cancer last year according to the article.

FoghornLeghorn on CT knew him. He was always there for Gamecock basketball over the years.

He was like an old friend to those of us who attend the home games at CLA on a regular basis. Passionate, but always a kind soul.

My eyes can't help but water-up after hearing of his death. Sad to know that he had to suffer threw cancer as well.

Sa-lute!!

“The prostate cancer that I have is very aggressive but it’s very treatable if you catch prostate cancer in the early stages and it is so easy to be screened with the PSA lab test, but I never did that and I want to encourage all guys, all men, to do that screening to prevent the cancer,” he told WIS’ Judi Gatson in an interview.

803ce6cb-3212-4251-8826-f17ff9a97d09-large16x9_GamecockJesus.jpg

Glad they have his memorial there for now. Truly a great fan and he encouraged so many others like me.

On Carolina Calls this week, Lamont mentioned knowing his cousin in Chattanooga who went to the UTC games when Lamont was their coach.

He said he called him to offer his condolences. Pretty neat.

Dawn representing him on a T-shirt for the 99-29 rout of PC Saturday afternoon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBI2NqEmDg

His rally towel was laid across the back of the chair where he usually sat for the CSU game, but no mention from the announcer before the game as they did at the WBB game.

When the time is right, they need to put a cardboard cutout of Carlton there and/or give some to the student section behind the announcers' table. That would be a more effective way to honor him in my mind.