Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My scrimmage observations-Saturday

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Some of the things that stood out to me at the scrimmage today:

-Our first team defense looked pretty good even without 2 of our starting CB's today, I would say they got the better of the first team offense when they were matched up today. Clowney had a sack of Shaw in the first series that ended up forcing a FG try from Yates from around 50 yds that was just barely short .

-The second team offense and Dylan Thompson looked like they were going to come out firing on all cylinders beginning with Thompson completing a good looking pass to Jerrell Adams for a good gain and then Damiere Byrd took a jet sweep for about 10-15 yds. Then a couple of bad snaps kind of derailed the drive although Thompson did pick one up and quickly through to Nick Jones in the end zone for what was nearly a beautiful TD pass. Except for a bad decision which resulted in and interception, Thompson continued to look steady throughout the day and later scored a TD himself on a keeper on the zone read to cap a good drive.

-I thought KJ Brent looked pretty good today, having a couple of catches including a pretty TD pass from Clifford. I also thought Clifford looked good today.

-Rory Anderson almost came up with an amazing catch in coverage, great play by Reggie Bowens to make a big hit to break it up before he came down with it. Anderson later had another ball come to him in traffic which he held on to for a big-time catch.

-Lattimore popped right up after being gang tackled to the ground early in the scrimmage and doesn't look to be thinking about his knee at all. He had a pretty run of about 15-20 yds later on which drew a loud ovation from the crowd.

-Brandon Wilds had the longest run of the day on a fake reverse in which he got around the corner and showed an impressive burst of speed, the most impressive thing about the play was that Darius English was the guy that ran him down. English is a good looking player. A couple of plays later Wilds also had a tough run up the middle for about 10 yds which he almost took into the endzone.

-Player of the Day may have been Jerrell Adams. He had three long catches, one of which he caught in traffic, made a guy miss and took it around 25yds after the catch to the endzone. Incredibly fast and athletic looking for a guy his size and has great hands. I have no doubt in my mind after today that he will see significant playing time this year. I was expecting a lot out of this guy after following his recruitment and he has easily exceeded those expectations. He's got all the tools to be special.

-The other candidate for Player of the Day is Shaq Roland. Several big catches, including a highlight reel leaping TD catch in which he had to get his foot down in the back of the endzone. I thought that people expecting him to come right in at WR and immediately make an impact might be a little unrealistic, after attending 2 practices and a scrimmage I think I may have been dead wrong. This guy has a knack for making big plays and he's one of those guys that you watch and they just make it look easy. Another one that could end up being a special player.

-I've been going to Gamecock practices for over 10 yrs now and I've never seen a team look this far along this early in fall practice. Enough can't be said for what Spurrier has done since he's been here, this is a really good looking football team. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.
default_party0010_r191677.gif