Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark & Kym Hilinski Discuss the Impact of the 3rd Qtr '3'

GregoryHouse

Administrator
Fanatics Cash
I thought my fellow Gamecocks would appreciate reading about how the fans' third quarter tribute to the Hilinski's and Mental Health awareness affected Mark and Kym Hilinski: 

4b40f05f-c371-4499-883f-0f91ca44876b_1140x641.jpg

Locked on the Gamecocks

September 20, 2019

Fearless Forecast Friday with Mark & Kym Hilinski

Mark and Kym Hilinski are the parents of the South Carolina Gamecocks’ starting QB Ryan Hilinski. Ryan, a true freshman playing his first SEC home game wears the number ‘3’ to honor the memory of his late older brother, Tyler Hilinski. Prior to USC’s game against nationally #2-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide, Gamecock fans encouraged everyone to hold up three fingers during the first (Gamecocks’) offensive play of the third quarter to spread awareness for mental health  

Begins at podcast timestamp 42:25

F. Keith Allsep (@KAllsep): About that moment, at the beginning of quarter 3…When everybody raises up the ‘3’…take our listeners through that, what was that like…what was the crowd like and what that like for you guys in that moment?

Mark Hilinski (Ryan’s Father): Well, if I can step back - the moment I’ll tell you about - but the lead up to the moment…this started with a young lady who talked to someone in the stands and it was sort of a grassroots, “Hey, I think this would be a neat way to honor Tyler, Ryan’s brother, and certainly Hilinski’s Hope (https://hilinskishope.org/).” But the feeling was “These are people taking care of themselves.” (car alarm) and this is as much for each other as it is for us (the Hilinski family). And so, we were super proud of that and…to be there and actually experience it was unbelievable and here’s why. It was so quiet. You think about, you come out at halftime, we get into the kick-off…we get the ball and the two things that stick out in my mind were: One - How quiet it was before everyone put their hand up. The second thing was – and I hope your listeners can appreciate this – because of where we sit (section 21 – in Williams-Brice parents section and on the “Visitors” side of the stadium behind the opponents’ bench) we are right behind Alabama’s bench and the first hand that went up was (Alabama’s Head Coach) Nick Saban’s from our view. So, when you see the visiting team’s players and coaching staff supportive…it sort of…it changes your mindset a little bit. I mean we are there to win the football game, don’t get me wrong…but to see those guys take that minute…and get bigger than football for a minute and know that they are loving on all of these student-athletes and the people that came…I don’t know if you can have a bigger hug than what we felt that day…and its terribly emotional, we’re big crybabies too, but, you swell with a little bit of smile and hope because you feel like Tyler’s there in a way, you know? At least for that moment and we were touched beyond belief couldn’t be more grateful and I’ve said it every chance that I’ve gotten that might be one of the most special things we’ve seen in the last twenty months (since Tyler’s passing) and super proud to be part of it.

Kym (Ryan’s mother): …It was very emotional. When you can’t hear a in the stadium of eighty-one thousand people for a few moment…it’s...that’s spectacular and wonderful, right?...I was really sad at first because my first thought went to Tyler and missing him and his jersey number was ‘3’ and then those sad thoughts went to…I think I was proud and I was so appreciative and grateful for so many coming together to raise awareness and end the stigma (of suicide and seeking help for mental health) and when the Alabama fans joined in…when Coach Saban was there holding up his three fingers and his players and his staff…I looked around and I just saw a sea of three fingers being raised to the sky…it is hard to describe…and then when I heard from people who weren’t in the stadium but they were at home watching…or younger, youth football players who stopped in the beginning of the third quarter and raised three fingers too…it’s nothing short of…I don’t know if “miracle” is the right word but I have to say if so many people are coming together to help us raise awareness I really think we are going to beat down that stigma and so many people are going to speak up about how they are feeling emotionally and we can work together, united, to take care of everybody’s mental wellness.    

So glad that for just a moment, people can forget football and realize there are people out the that really do need help. This simple act, raising 3 fingers at the start of the qtr. could be just what someone watching needed. To see that people really do care for them. Some people really are afraid to ask for help. When they see this, they might feel okay about asking.

She was not an athlete, but my own sister killed herself. I knew she was going thru a lot but did not expect her to do that. I just wonder, if she had seen something similar to what all those athletes saw, would she have reached out? We all are probably familiar with Kenny McKinley. so much talent, but who knew what struggles he may have been dealing with. Who is to say one of the players on the field last Saturday doesn't need to see this.

Grateful for young QB and his family trying to reach others to prevent the pain they had to deal with. I really can't explain what it is to have a sibling do that. Even after over 40 years, it is still hard for me to accept my sister did that.

We never will know why, but we can try to help others.