Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GCF gameday thread vs Charlotte 49ers

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

GCF gameday thread vs Charlotte 49ers

charlotte-vs-south-carolina-1.png

South Carolina looks to rebound from its loss to Georgia with a game this weekend against a non-conference opponent. The Gamecocks will face Charlotte at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Williams-Brice Stadium. This is the first matchup between the two teams. A win for South Carolina would put the team back at .500 this season.

WHAT CHANNEL IS THE CHARLOTTE-SOUTH CAROLINA GAME ON?
Who: Charlotte 49ers (1-3) at South Carolina Gamecocks (1-2)
When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday
Where: Williams-Brice Stadium (77,559) in Columbia, S.C.
TV: ESPNU
Stream: via ESPN app
On-air announce crew: Jay Alter (play-by-play), Forrest Conoly (analyst), Tamara Brown (sideline)
Radio: 107.5 FM in the Columbia area (Todd Ellis, play-by-play; Tommy Suggs, analyst; Jamar Nesbit, sideline) … See all the radio affiliates around South Carolina here.
Satellite radio: Sirius XM 99 or 205
Series history: First meeting

TOP STORYLINES FOR THE GAME

Gamecocks look to bounce back: South Carolina is off to a 1-2 start, but a win Saturday would move the record back to even on the season. The Gamecocks gave up more than 40 points in each of their two losses, and the 49ers just posted 42 points on Georgia State last week which is more than Carolina managed against the Panthers in Week 1. But an improved performance from the Gamecocks could help the team find some momentum.
49ers-turned-Gamecocks on the coaching staff: Offensive line coach Greg Adkins and running backs coach Montario Hardesty used to coach at Charlotte. Adkins was there in 2018 the year before Charlotte head coach Will Healy arrived. Hardesty was a wide receivers coach for two years under Healy before being brought on to Beamer’s staff in 2021.

Back under the lights: Saturday will be the second night game South Carolina has played this year, and the LED lights will be in full effect. The lights were used during the noon game against Georgia, but the night skies will make them more visible against the 49ers.

Charlotte coming off its first win: Charlotte started the season 0-3 before a victory on a game-winning touchdown against Georgia State. The 49ers played its best offensive game against a team that allowed just two offensive touchdowns to South Carolina.

WEATHER FORECAST FOR COLUMBIA, SC

Expect temperatures in the mid-70s at kickoff Saturday night with upper 60s at the end of the game, according to the National Weather Service. Clear skies are anticipated as well.

ESPN FPI GAME PREDICTION ESPN’s

Football Power Index gives South Carolina an 91.7% chance to win over the 49ers on Saturday. This is the second time the FPI has favored the Gamecocks to win this season.

POINT SPREAD FOR USC GAMECOCKS VS. CHARLOTTE

Carolina is currently a 22-point favorite over the 49ers, according to VegasInsider.com. That’s expected to be the largest line in favor of the Gamecocks against an FBS team this season.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Nick Emmanwori, DB, South Carolina: Emmanwori continues to be a bright spot for the Gamecocks’ defense, as he led the team in tackles against Georgia with 14. He’s also the team’s leading tackler for 2022, so his presence on defense could aid South Carolina against Charlotte.

Jalen Brooks, WR, South Carolina: Brooks is second on the team in yards and receptions, but has caught multiple catches in every game so far. His ability to find ways to get open gives USC options in an offense that’s still figuring itself out.

Chris Reynolds, QB, Charlotte: Reynolds a career-high threw five touchdowns in Charlotte’s win against Georgia State. He’s been with the 49er offense since 2018, and has played in all four years of the Healy era.

Grant DuBose, WR, Charlotte: Charlotte’s leader in catches and touchdowns, DuBose presents a legitimate threat to South Carolina. At 6-foot-3, he’s one of the team’s best targets. He finished last week’s game with nine catches for 85 yards and two scores.

Really would like to see a big big win hang 60 plus.

Gamecocks end the 1st quarter trailing Charlotte 7-3. We still are starting games slow and cannot score touchdowns in the opening stanza of games.

But we respond quickly by scoring a touchdown early in the 2nd qtr. to reclaim the lead 10-7. Big plays on that scoring drive by RB Marshawn Lloyd of 22 yds and then of 25 yds from the Charlotte 25-yd line for the score. Lloyd already has run 11 times for 117 yards and 1 TD.....

Gamecocks lead Charlotte 20-14 at the halftime. I had us winning this by a sizable margin, but it's been a battle thus far. But we're 1 point shy of equaling the total first-half points we've scored in the first 3 games, so it is improvement I guess. Defense is another story.......

I’m feeling better now, but the refs lined up to sum up my feelings about the first half.

Attachments

• AAEE4261-802C-42BB-A042-D35FEE7DC086.jpeg
    AAEE4261-802C-42BB-A042-D35FEE7DC086.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
A good defensive stop by the Gamecocks to open the 2nd half, then a drive with solid passing plays from Rattler, and a 20-yd TD run by Marshawn Lloyd plus a 2-pt conversion by Traevon Kenion and the Gamecocks lead 28-14 with 10:25 to play in the 3rd Qtr. Lloyd now has run for 14 attempts for 162 yds and 2 TDs....

Back-to-back interceptions by the Gamecock defense!! Brad Johnson snagged the first INT, and DQ Smith got the 2nd one. After the opening drive stop, that's 3 straight strong efforts by our defense against Charlotte's offensive possessions to start the half.

Both picks resulted in Gamecock touchdowns, and we extend the lead to 42-14!!

Nah this team sucks but we should win this game and win next week. It’s all good right now
You are correct, sir.

For whatever the reasons, Shane's teams tend lose the important games in the first half.

We needed this win after the UGA beatdown, but I turned the game off last night at halftime because I had seen enough.

You can't wait until halftime to correct what's going wrong and expect to win most SEC games; it has to be done on the sidelines as it is happening.

Glad to see our defense finally showed up in the second half, but it should have happened a lot sooner.

DQ Smith's pick.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqo-rdXIpMs

Bam Martin-Scott (22) created the pressure that led to the pick.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMS8wOC8wNGNiMjA0ZS1tYXJ0aW5fc2NvdHRfYmFtMjAyMS5qcGc.png

Tavareon M. Martin-Scott was born July 4, 2000… earned the nickname “Bam” as a reference to the fireworks customary on his birthday… is an interdisciplinary studies major.

Last edited:
You are correct, sir.

For whatever the reasons, Shane's teams tend lose the important games in the first half.

We needed this win after the UGA beatdown, but I turned the game off last night at halftime because I had seen enough.

You can't wait until halftime to correct what's going wrong and expect to win most SEC games; it has to be done on the sidelines as it is happening.

Glad to see our defense finally showed up in the second half, but it should have happened a lot sooner.
Some of the talk we will hear this week and likely next week is about how UofSC has righted the ship and have finally turned the corner. I hope that is right but I doubt it. I saw the first half. I can't act like Charlotte wasn't moving up and down the field on us. I can't act like Charlotte stopped us on multiple downs within ten yards of the endzone.