Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks lost running RB Marshawn Lloyd to SC last year as a transfer. Could the Gamecocks gain a quarterback transfer from the Trojans?

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Gamecocks lost running RB Marshawn Lloyd to SC last year as a transfer. Could the Gamecocks gain a quarterback transfer from the Trojans?
Dec. 19, 2023

The Gamecocks are in the market for a transfer quarterback after losing Vanderbilt quarterback AJ Swann Monday to LSU. Swann apparently committed to Beamer Sunday afternoon, initiating a commitment alert by Beamer, only to publicly announce Monday afternoon for the Tigers. He never announced a commitment to the Gamecocks.

South Carolina lost top running back Marshawn Lloyd to Southern Cal last year as a transfer. Could the Gamecocks gain a quarterback transfer from the Trojans? It’s way too early to know where things might lead, but Southern Cal freshman quarterback Malachi Nelson (6-3 190) told us today he does have interest in the Gamecocks. ”Of course, there is an interest in SC, love what they do with qbs,” Nelson responded in a direct message. Nelson’s name hit the Transfer Portal Monday, and he should have his pick of programs looking for a transfer quarterback this month. He was one of the top quarterbacks nationally in the 2023 class and enrolled at Southern Cal in March. He appeared in one game this season completing one of three passes for no yards. Pete Nakos of On3 later reported Nelson’s “camp” has had contact from Tulane, TCU, South Carolina, Houston and Cal. Nelson is a native of Los Alamitos, CA In his three year high school career Nelson passed for 5086 yards with 70 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

Texas transfer Maalik Murphy visited on Saturday in between stops at Duke and Oregon State. He was the backup to Quinn Ewers this season and started two games. There is also former Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson in the Portal. Jefferson certainly knows USC offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains and receivers coach Justin Stepp. Both were at Arkansas with him. However, Brad Crawford of 247Sports reported Tuesday afternoon the Gamecocks won’t be involved with Jefferson with Miami, UCF and TCU more likeily possibilities.

USC offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains may also have some interest in recent Portal entrant Robbie Ashford of Auburn.

Monday night, a source said Gamecock commitment Vanderbilt transfer WR Jayden McGowan could end up at Boston College. The source said the NIL deal would be the difference maker. McGowan did not respond to a request for comment. He did post on X a response to a comment from an apparent Gamecock fan: “No decisions I make are because of money. I am perfectly fine with my financial situation now. God is involved in every decision I make, and your comment isn’t going to convince me otherwise.”

Other note of interest

The Gamecocks apparently will not sign WR/DB Zy’Marion Lang of Sarasota, FL according to TheBigSpur. Lang publicly committed to the Gamecocks July 30th over Pittsburgh, Kansas State and USF.

We can see how Lloyd and the Trojans fare against Louisville in the Holiday Bowl tonight on FOX.

The Trojans started the season out great but then lost 5 of their last 6 games to finish at 7-5.

Lloyd ran for 820 yards on 116 carries with 9 TDs during the regular season.