Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks in a solid place with junior receiver Micah Gilbert of North Carolina

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Gamecocks in a solid place with junior receiver Micah Gilbert of North Carolina​

SPORTSTALK / September 20, 2022

1663764324514.png2024 WR Micah Gilbert (6-3 203) is emerging as one of the top receivers nationally in his class, and USC has emerged as a major contender at this stage of his recruiting. Gilbert visited Columbia Saturday for the Georgia game, the fourth time he’s visited the Gamecocks as a recruit.

“South Carolina were my first offer last year, my sophomore year,” Gilbert said. “They’ve been recruiting me ever since. They’ve been in close contact, and I’ve loved them a lot since it was my first offer. I love the environment in Columbia I love the coaching staff. They are definitely still building but I feel like it’s going to be a really good program.”

Gilbert, of course, focused on the offense being run by coordinator Marcus Satterfield. The Gamecocks didn’t have a good day moving the ball against the Georgia defense, but Gilbert was not all that disappointed with what he witnessed.

“You saw some sparks definitely,” Gilbert said. “Spencer Rattler just coming in, so a little bit of stuff they’ve got to work out. I definitely could fit in just being a guy that’s like an outlet sometimes. But we’ve still got a minute till I’m up there. I’m only a junior right now.”

Gilbert’s offer list is growing with the likes of North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Penn State, BYU, Duke, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Tennessee, Maryland, Louisville, East Carolina and Wake Forest among the offers. At this point, Gilbert said he’s not ready to identify a short list, but USC was the first offer, and that still means something to him.

“One of my first offers so they are still top on the list, high up,” Gilbert said. “A lot are rolling in, so I’m still keeping it open, but they are definitely going to be high up on the list.”

Gilbert added that Gamecock receivers coach Justin Stepp loves what he could bring to the offense. Last season he caught 40 passes for 534 yards and 3 touchdowns.

“I’m a big body, I can get after balls, I’m coachable, those are some of the main points,” Gilbert said.

The USC visit Saturday was his first of the season. This weekend he is going to North Carolina for the Notre Dame game, and he plans to be at Tennessee for the Alabama game next month. Earlier this year he made unofficial visits to North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Wake Forest.