Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gamecocks have the hometown advantage when it comes to 4-star 2024 WR/SAF Channing Goodwin

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Gamecocks have the hometown advantage when it comes to 4-star 2024 WR/SAF Channing Goodwin

SPORTSTALK / September 28, 2022

1664342186512.pngUSC has moved into the competition for 2024 4-star WR/SAF Channing Goodwin (6-1 165) of Charlotte, and it makes sense for the Gamecocks to be heavily involved for reasons other than Goodwin’s athletic skills. His dad is Jonathan Goodwin. His uncle his Harold Goodwin. Both were stars first at Lower Richland and later at Michigan and in the NFL. Plus, his mother is from Saluda and is a USC grad.

So, the fact that Goodwin lived a good portion of his younger days in Irmo and would have attended Dutch Fork had his family not move to Charlotte makes USC his hometown team, and that’s a bonus for the Gamecocks.

“This whole recruiting process thing has definitely been picking up a little bit,” Goodwin said. “USC is definitely up there. That’s the hometown team for me, so that’s a huge advantage for them already.”

USC secondary coach Torrian Gray likes Goodwin for one of his spots, and he was the one who offered him on behalf of head coach Shane Beamer.

“Coach Gray came to our game last Friday. He had told me an offer could be on the way pretty soon and things like that,” Goodwin said. “I guess I was able to perform well enough last Friday and I was blessed to get the offer from the Gamecocks. They like my length and my body. They just think I’ll be a great fit there, especially for me being originally from Columbia and familiar with the area.”

Goodwin plays some safety for Providence Day, but he’s primarily a receiver, and a lot of schools are recruiting him for that. Last season he caught 42 passes for 690 yards and 8 touchdowns. Thus far this season he has 23 catches for 286 yards and 3 scores. As for a college position, receiver for defensive back, it doesn’t matter to Goodwin.

“Anywhere I can help the team out as much as possible,” Goodwin said. “If DB ends up being the best for me, then so be it. I just want to get there and help the team win.”

Goodwin has kept a close watch on what Beamer has been doing in Columbia, and he believes things are moving the right direction.

“I see pretty bright things,” Goodwin said. “Coach Beamer second year, seems like they are starting to change the culture there a little bit. After being in the building a couple of times, I definitely think it’s going in a pretty positive direction. Once they get the right guys in there, I think the sky is the limit for them.”

Goodwin was in Williams-Brice Stadium last season for the Vanderbilt and Florida games. He also recalls going to a game when he was younger, and the Gamecocks won that one, too.

“Every South Carolina game I’ve been to they’ve won,” Goodwin said. “I’m some type of good luck charm I guess.”

This season Goodwin has been to games at NC State and Michigan. He might go to Kentucky this weekend. His offer list also includes Boston College, Maryland, Missouri, Western Kentucky, Duke, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Pitt, Louisville and Bowling Green.

His Dad and Uncle went to Michigan, and he doesn't have an offer from them? What's up with the Wolverines?