Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conyers commits to Gamecocks

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash

Conyers commits to Gamecocks​

tSPORTSTALK / August 8, 2022

1660007317520.pngFor the second straight day, a Columbia basketball product announced he will stay home and play for Lamont Paris and USC. Sunday it was 3-star AC Flora forward Collin Murray-Boyles announcing for the Gamecocks. Monday, land 3-star 6-6 Arden Conyers of Westwood followed his lead and pledged to the Gamecocks.

Like Murray-Boyles, Conyers had a strong summer playing for Upward Stars, and that garnered the attention of Paris and his staff as they made the rounds through the AAU circuit. Conyers did not have any so-called Power Five offers until visiting USC last week and leaving with one from Paris.

“Arden is an extremely humble, unselfish, and hardworking young man that just continues to work hard to develop his game,” said Westwood coach John Combs. “He is an excellent shooter from three. He’s lethal as a catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter and better than average shooting the three off the dribble creating his own shot. He also is a good and willing passer, and being 6’7, he is able to make really good reads and deliver the ball when and where it needs to go.”

Combs added that there’s more to Conyers than what you can find on the stat sheet.

“I love coaching Arden,” Combs said. “He is fun to coach. He works hard and wants to win. He is not stat driven—he is driven to win at a high level.”

His other offers included Wofford, Winthrop, Furman, Radford, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, and Upstate. He has taken official visits to Winthrop, Furman, and Georgia Southern.

Last season Conyers averaged 18 points and 6 rebounds per game and shot 39% from three-point range in earning All-Region honors. He and Murray-Boyles are the Gamecocks’ two commitments for the 2023 class

Last edited:
Two 3* guys, but I expect us to get stronger recruits after Lamont gets a regular season under his belt just like Shane has done after his first season.

Two 3* guys, but I expect us to get stronger recruits after Lamont gets a regular season under his belt just like Shane has done after his first season.
Yeah, one hopes. It's tough to be patient and understand that this is a building process, especially with all of the roster turnover our MB team has had last 5-7 years. But got to admit my first thought was Coach Paris is absolutely crushing those Southern Conference recruiting battles.

From what I've heard and read about them, they both are going to need a year, maybe 2, to develop into quality rotation pieces. While these 2 guys don't blow you away with their recruiting rankings, I do think they are important to Paris' first couple of years here. With them and GG being local products, you have to hope that they'll help build a foundation where we get more of the in-state guys, especially those 4 and 5 star guys.

Both had huge summers on the AAU circuit and will get other offers as they still have a year of high school before arriving. They now enjoy getting to know the style and team for a year, early quality commits!