Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College Football Countdown: University of South Carolina

GregoryHouse

Administrator
Fanatics Cash
100 Days - May 26, 2022 marks 100 days until I am sitting in Williams-Brice Stadium watch Gamecocks Football.

The time right now is 6:30pm which means 100 days from now I likely just finding my seat and the players are going through warm-ups on the field.

Johnny Mantz from Long Beach, CA, finished 9th at Daytona in 1951 driving this Nash.

february-1951-johnny-mantz-of-long-beach-ca-ran-this-nash-in-the-cup-picture-id146176012

Last edited:
Mantz won the very first Southern 500 driving this Plymouth in September of 1950.

OIP.3k5qtOOQJjt4QtRurvhJpgAAAA

But he didn't fare too well in 1951 in this Nash, which didn't finish the race due to mechanical issues.

september-1951-after-winning-the-first-southern-500-nascar-cup-race-picture-id146176019

The late John Andretti in the car, owned by Cale Yarborough, that he won the 1997 Pepsi 400 with.

OIP.WBiD7DsrDxXA6QycPptHAQHaGv

Last edited:
USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93)

1920px-USS_Chung-Hoon_%28DDG-93%29_-_2.jpg

Namesake
USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93) is an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer serving in the United States Navy (USN). Chung-Hoon was named in honor of Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon (1910–1979), recipient of the Navy Cross and the Silver Star.

Gordon Paiʻea Chung-Hoon (July 25, 1910 – July 24, 1979) was an admiral in the United States Navy, who served during World War II and was the first Asian American flag officer. He received the Navy Cross and Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary heroism as commanding officer of USS Sigsbee from May 1944 to October 1945.

World War II
Chung-Hoon served on the battleship USS Arizona as a lieutenant, but was in Honolulu on a weekend pass during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Chung-Hoon heard the attack from Honolulu and attempted to return to his ship but was delayed by roadblocks and traffic jams. By the time he reached the Arizona the ship had already exploded and sunk.

After the sinking of Arizona, Chung-Hoon served as a naval liaison officer with coastal artillery before becoming executive officer on a destroyer in 1942, working convoy details in the Atlantic. He also served on board the cruiser USS Honolulu.

From May 1944 to October 1945 Chung-Hoon commanded the destroyer USS Sigsbee. In the spring of 1945, Sigsbee assisted in the destruction of 20 enemy planes while screening an aircraft carrier strike force off the Japanese island of Kyūshū. On April 14, 1945, while on radar picket station off Okinawa, a kamikaze crashed into Sigsbee, reducing her starboard engine to five knots (9.3 km/h; 5.8 mph) and knocking out the ship's port engine and steering control. Despite the damage, then Commander Chung-Hoon kept his antiaircraft batteries delivering "prolonged and effective fire" against the continuing Japanese air attack while simultaneously directing the damage control efforts that allowed Sigsbee to make port under her own power.

The damage had been severe enough that Admiral William Halsey, Jr. told Chung-Hoon to scuttle the ship. However, Chung-Hoon declined to do so, telling the admiral "No, I have kids on here that can't swim and I'm not putting them in the water. I'll take her back."

The next day Chung-Hoon led a burial at sea for the dead. One crewmate said of Chung-Hoon during the burial, "I often remember that the only man tough enough not to duck, was also the only man tender enough to cry."

For Chung-Hoon's service aboard Sigsbee he received the Navy Cross and the Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary heroism.

During the war, two of Chung-Hoon's brothers served in the army in the Pacific theater.

1280px-Gordon_Chung_Hoon_2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Chung-Hoon

Last edited:
Herb Thomas' driving ole Doc Hudson.

R.545510220089555c1445c5f8d8d23aa6

093077942ef2e732830768e3bae71ffb.jpg

1d43e90c0ca8d20f99b3f63015497a0a.jpg

And his later cars.

driver-herb-thomas-poses-on-the-beach-with-his-smokeys-garage-1956-picture-id83006634

50c3e8e3e7b0dbb24550bfab9aab7943.jpg

200 starts and 42 wins for Herb Thomas in his old school NASCAR career.

Sa-lute!!