Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beamer updates the Gamecock recruiting class and possible staff changes, maybe?

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Beamer updates the Gamecock recruiting class and possible staff changes, maybe?
Dec. 21, 2023

The work is not over for Shane Beamer and his coaching staff in piecing together the complete 2024 football recruiting class. Beamer announced 24 total signees Wednesday, 16 from the high school and junior college ranks and eight from the Transfer Portal.

The Gamecocks added one and subtracted three from their commitment list going into the day. The picked-up receiver Debron Gatling of Alpharetta, GA. Cornerback Braydon Lee flipped to Maryland. They passed on signing receiver Zy’marion Lang who signed with Toledo. And transfer receiver Jared McGowan appears to be headed elsewhere, possibly Boston College.

Some of the key comments from Beamer Wednesday:

Coach Beamer didn’t rule out making changes, but no promises

“Those are things we’re continuing to look at and evaluate,” Beamer said, when asked if he was able to foresee any coaching staff changes.“I’ve had some conversations with some people already and our focus this month has been recruiting, and that’s what it is right now. As I said in the beginning, it’s my job to always look at everything we’re doing, top to bottom, starting with me and if there’s ways to be better, certainly being willing to make those decisions. Those are all things we’re still going through.”

Beamer is still in the hunt for a portal QB

Coach up front and honest with players and some want the promise to come in and be named the starter, “Frankly, many guys say, ‘Thanks, I want to go somewhere else, because they are telling me I’m going to be the starting quarterback,’” Beamer said. “I hope it works out for them. Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know. We believe in competition, and I tell guys all the time, I’m always going to do what’s best for the South Carolina football program, so whether you’re black, white, scholarship, walk-on, senior, freshman – whoever gives us the best opportunity to win football games are the guys we’re going to put out on the field. “We have had some quarterbacks that are good and I could’ve lied to them, got them here and whatnot, but I’m not going to do that either, so what we’re looking for is somebody that wants to come in and compete, to be the starting quarterback.”

• Notes first time in 16 seasons he’s not involved in a bowl game, and that’s not OK, not around here, he’s not happy and they are going to get it right, season didn’t end right.
  • His job to fix the problems with the team, they are not far off, a year ago they were ranked and getting ready to play in a bowl, and they aren’t that far off that.
  • Excited about the 2024 schedule, loves the idea of competing against those teams.
  • Signed 4 of the top 5 prospects in the state, always striving to get best players in the state, eight of the signees are in AA games, the quality in the class is good, it’s a close group and it’s low a maintenance group.
  • Not finished with this class, continue to look at high school possibilities and also in the Portal.
  • Everything he’s been told Mo Kaba is full speed ahead for returning next season; Doty wants to focus on receiver and special teams but also staying involved in the quarterback room.
  • All but four of the players signed today will be in school in time for spring practice.
  • They are at their number at running back, tight end and linebacker, everywhere else they are looking for more.
  • Asked about coaching staff, said he’s still having conversations, but the focus has been on recruiting and will be for a little while, but he is looking over everything in the program and evaluating everyone, including himself.
  • Said he’s been contacted by a lot of Portal QBs who want a starting guarantee, and he said he’s told each one no, they can come in and compete, and he would never promise a starting job in advance at any position, and he has a lot of confidence in Sellers and Reno.
  • Fugar, Sweigart, Spaulding had minor medical procedures done, nothing that will keep them out for long.
  • When PK Mitch Jeter left, Alex Herrera was immediately placed on scholarship, said Jeter just barely beat out Herrera for the job in 2022, Mason Love will also get a shot.
  • Transfer RB Jawarn Howell is built like Derrick Henry, he’s a big, strong running back with speed.

Last edited: