Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another QB portal prospect for the Gamecocks and the latest on WR Jayden McGowan

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Another QB portal prospect for the Gamecocks and the latest on WR Jayden McGowan
Dec. 22, 2023

Auburn transfer QB Robby Ashford (6-4 225) has had contact with #Gamecocks a source tells us this afternoon. Hale McGranahan of TheBigSpur also reported Ashford might visit USC when transfers can take visits again starting January 3rd. Ashford spent his first two college seasons at Oregon, his last two at Auburn. He has thrown for 1758 yards, 9 TDs, and 9 INTs in his career and rushed for 927 yards and 12 touchdowns. He’s a native of Hoover, AL.

Vanderbilt transfer WR Jayden McGowan has not announced his plans after not signing Wednesday with USC. The Laurens native committed to the Gamecocks on December 13th and still has his announcement post pinned on his X and Instagram pages. The reporting as to why McGowan is not a Gamecock at this point has focused on the respective NIL deals proffered by USC and Boston College. It’s been suggested BC offered more, McGowan wanted USC to match, and the Gamecocks refused. McGowan offered this rebuttal to that notion in a text message to SportsTalkSC:

“I’m not sure how to go about this situation now that people are lying and saying I asked SC for more money after I committed and also that tried to use the BC offer as leverage. I’ve never done that, and you can ask coach (Justin) Stepp. I never told them how much BC offered to begin with because the money is not that important. What’s important is to be somewhere where I will get to show off my abilities and ultimately get drafted into the NFL. Idk (I don’t know) where these false reports are coming from, but I just wanted to clear the air and state that the NIL situation is completely false. Still not completely positive but my hesitancy is due to things other than money because I told SC and BC that my next move isn’t to be paper chasing because I was offered more money somewhere else and I’m not entertaining that school. And if I was so worried about money instead of football, I could’ve simply stayed at Vandy.”

Multiple swings and misses at the QB situation so far. OL is an annual issue but we pin hopes on 'getting healthy' with a bunch of mediocre players and a solid incoming freshman class. OL shoud have been priority #1 or up there with RB. If $ isn't the issue for McGowan, what really is? He has as much chance at getting to the NFL at Vandy, BC or SC. Guessing some details are missing.